NFL PACKERS DRAFT: SUMMARIES & REVIEWS

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft Summaries:

[align=justify]The Packers had an overall good draft taking the best players available, addressing specific needs, and building quality depth at skilled positions to create competition for 2008 team. The Packers' picks: Round 2, Pick 36: Jordy Nelson WR, Kansas State Round 2, Pick 56: Brian Brohm QB, Louisville Round 2, Pick 60: Patrick Lee CB, Auburn Round 3, Pick 91: Jermichael Finley TE, Texas Round 4, Pick 102: Jeremy Thompson [pass rushing] DE, Wake Forest Round 4, Pick 135: Josh Sitton OT, Central Florida Round 5, Pick 150: Breno Giacomini OT, Louisville Round 7, Pick 209: Matt Flynn QB, LSU Round 7, Pick 217: Brett Swain WR, San Diego State. [/align]

[align=justify]PFW: [Packers used their first] No. 2 pick to select Kansas State WR Jordy Nelson....With the second No. 2 pick the Packers...selected Louisville QB Brian Brohm to back up the team’s new starter Rodgers. The Packers like Brohm’s accuracy and consistency and apparently are comfortable with him....Packers picked CB Patrick Lee to provide badly needed backup help behind aging starters Woodson and Harris. The team likes Lee’s feistiness and believes he’s a good fit for the defense’s bump-and-run scheme. Third-round pick Jermichael Finley is a solid, hardworking blocker targeted to replace the departed Bubba Franks as the backup tight end behind Donald Lee, although he could stand to bulk up. With their two picks in the fourth round, the Packers took DE Thompson, who has exceptional physical ability, and Josh Sitton, who enters the mix at offensive guard. Green Bay, in fifth round, selected OT Giacomini, a good fit in the team’s zone-blocking scheme who adds depth. After resting in Round Six, the Packers jumped back into action in the final round, selecting QB Flynn, a decent intermediate-range passer who could qualify as the team’s No. 3 signalcaller, and developmental WR Swain.

Scout.com: BEST PICK: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville. Brohm fell in Green Bay's lap late in the second round as Rodgers' likely top backup. Rodgers has been handed the reins as the successor to Favre who retired, but Brohm could make things interesting by the end of training camp if he performs like the top-10 prospect he was pegged....COULD SURPRISE: Josh Sitton, OG, UCF. The versatile fourth-round draft pick from Central Florida could be labeled a starter of the present or a starter of the future. The imposing Sitton (6-3, 324) will get a shot to outmuscle a crowded cast of young competitors for a starting job to be had at both right guard and left guard. Sitton could be sitting pretty as a prospect to be groomed in the next few years to replace veteran Tauscher at right tackle.

Draft Grade Reports:

Top Hat: B Overall, good. Although the team marginally improved with these nine rookies, most will have initial reserve roles with some making an impact during the season.

Sporting News: A- Brian Brohm gives the Packers insurance at quarterback if Aaron Rodgers falters. Jordy Nelson is a deep-threat receiver who also returns kicks. They got great value for a team picking near the bottom.

NBC Sports: A- GM Ted Thompson knows what he's doing. The Packers used their usual best-player-available strategy at Jordy Nelson and Brian Brohm and came away with a solid cornerback prospect, Patrick Lee, at the end of the second round. Third-round TE Jermichael Finley can stretch the field. DE Jeremy Thompson should replace KGB as a situational pass rusher. LSU QB Matt Flynn, who the Packers nabbed in round seven, was a worthwhile investment that late with uncertainty at quarterback.

Aol Fanhouse: A- The focus was the passing game...top pick Jordy Nelson is an athletic receiver with good hands. Quarterback Brian Brohm was a good pick in the second round for a team that, for the first time in 15 years, needs at quarterback. Tight end Jermichael Finley represents good value near the end of the third round.

USA Today: B- Grabbed WR Jordy Nelson in second round and this could be a steal though a bit mystifying since the Packers aren't short of talent at this position. The kid can fly, runs 4.5 40-yard dash. Filled needs later with CB Patrick Lee and TE Jemichael Finley. Stole DE Jeremy Thompson in fourth round. QB Brian Brohm could have gone higher.

ESPN Sports: B- The Packers took a QB on both days of the draft: Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm is cerebral and accurate, but can he stay healthy? Flynn is big, has good arm strength and can run for a first down if he has to. Flynn has intangibles, something you must have to lead a team to a national title. Second-round pick Jordy Nelson is a great athlete, and will be a faster version of former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Dwight Clark. Patrick Lee is a very good cover corner and a solid second-round pick. Tight end Jermichael Finley has a ton of talent; he just has to make strides in terms of catching the ball and blocking. Defensive end Jeremy Thompson has a similar attitude and motor to current Packer Aaron Kampman.

Sports Network: B+ The selection of Brohm in the second round (and Flynn in the seventh, for that matter) is a bit controversial given its potential effect on would-be starter Aaron Rodgers, but the Packers had to have a "Plan B" and Brohm represents a solid one. Nelson will join one of the league's deepest receiving corps and can also contribute in the return game. Lee is a potential heir apparent to either Al Harris or Charles Woodson. On the second day, Finley was a nice pick-up for a team that needed a replacement for Bubba Franks at tight end. Thompson is a little undersized, but could eventually replace Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila if he develops. The two offensive line picks may have been reaches, but will have time to mature. Bottom Line: Shored up several areas of the ball club with a prudent draft approach.

PFW: B+ The Packers did a very good job identifying scheme fits and clearly made an effort to upgrade the offense. Big, reliable WR Jordy Nelson should make Aaron Rodgers’ job easier. QBs Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn both have upside to develop. TE Jermichael Finley has upside. CB Patrick Lee and DE Jeremy Thompson were solid value picks and could develop into solid pros if they can stay focused. O-linemen Josh Sitton and Breno Giacomini both fit the Packers’ zone ground game well. Having traded down and been without a first-round pick, there is nothing flashy about this draft, and it may not provide a lot of immediate return, but it could eventually return as many as five starters.

Yahoo Sports: B- Positives: Nelson, Brohm, Lee, Flynn Negatives: No tackles drafted until the fourth and fifth round. Bottom line: GM Ted Thompson was active as usual and produced a robust class size of nine picks. He once again used his first pick on a position that didn’t seem to be a huge need (wideout), but it’s hard to rip him for a methodology that has worked in the bigger picture. Getting Brohm so late in the second round is a coup. He’ll create competition with Rodgers. If they both develop well, the Packers have some capital at the position for future trades. Flynn likely won’t make the team but is good value late. Overall, it was a good class for depth.

CBS Sportsline: B- Best pick: Taking quarterback Brian Brohm in the second round will turn out to be a great pick. He will be the starter in a few years. Questionable move: They drafted Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson in the second round, higher than most expected. There were also some bigger-name receivers still on the board. Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Jeremy Thompson, a defensive end out of Wake Forest, can help liven up the pass rush. The pick of Brohm brings their grade up. They did add some depth and competition at positions (OL, TE, CB) that needed it.

JSOnline: C Packer general manager Ted Thompson had the firepower to move up in the first round and make a splash. Instead, Thompson did what he almost always does - play it safe and move down. Players like WR Jordy Nelson and CB Patrick Lee (both Round 2), TE Jemichael Finley (third) and DE Jeremy Thompson may all eventually be solid pros. But coming off a 13-3 season, Thompson needed a difference-maker. Instead, he drafted like the Packers were 3-13 a year ago.

Fox Sports: C+ They picked Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm with the 58th overall pick in a trade with the Browns. The Packers went for value. The Packers spend their first choice on Kansas State WR Jordy Nelson, who caught 122 passes last season. Nelson has track speed, but the Packers already have a lot of youth at this position. Young defenders Jeremy Thompson, an end from Wake Forest, and Patrick Lee, a cornerback from Auburn, are very athletic guys who figure to stick and compete on a very young defense.[/align]

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is the first TT draft that recieved overall great grades.

That is of course because most sportswriters are bandwagon jumpers and see that what he does works. now they wanna act like they knew it all along.

Because he recieved terrible grades on other drafts, and the team kept getting better.... i hope this means that since he got good grades that the team just got GREAT.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline: C Packer general manager Ted Thompson had the firepower to move up in the first round and make a splash. Instead, Thompson did what he almost always does - play it safe and move down.

Thanks a ton TOPHAT. Good to see you back.

Now, how the hell is trading down, "playing it safe?" I think it's more of a gamble than trading up. Sure, you get more picks, but you're hedging your bets, hoping that the player you want will still be there. That's a gamble. you're betting that the player you select later has the abilities and skills that other teams don't see, and therefore, don't draft. That's a gamble. You're throwing conventional wisdom out the window, bucking the trend and encouraging other teams to reach for players while you wait. that's a gamble. If you're trading down, the other team has come to you, asking you to trade with them. In receiving, you have to think the trade is more beneficial to you than the other team. That's a gamble.

Trading down isn't flashy. but TT is not a flashy guy, and the packers aren't a flashy team. But TT and the Packers win football games. Big gamble has led to big reward, if you ask me.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many seem to think that the only way our draft picks improve the team is through starting, however I believe they also improve our team by pushing the guys starting at their position. So they might not be starting this season, but they will certainly make sure the players in front of them sharpen themselves to retain their jobs.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see TOPHAT back on here.... Always good to have you around, bud!

I think grades are always irrelevant, since it takes 2-4 years to judge a pick, but hearing good things about our picks for once is still great. I just sent my BFF Greg Jennings a text to tell him I'm developing a man-crush on Jordy Nelson already. And he texted me back saying he was in the same boat...

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see it like more of a strength, because it's almost like Jordan.

Michael Jordan - Michael Jordy - Jordy Nelson.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
pack_in_black said:
Just kidding. I've never met a dude named Jordy in my life. It's a total chick's name.

correct!

Hence a much more socially acceptable person to have a man-crush on. My family feels much more comfortable with this after hearing me go on and on about "I just can't believe how thick and rippling Greg's thighs are!"

Now it's: "Jordy has such supple skin....."

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy ain't a bad superstar name. Good for chanting. Two syllables. Two distinct vowel sounds.

JOR-DY JOR-DY JOR-DY JOR-DY!!!!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear the crowd chanting now...

Jordeeeeeeee.......

Jordeeeeeeee.........

JORDEEEEEEE........!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Just kidding. I've never met a dude named Jordy in my life. It's a total chick's name.

Maybe it's before your time, but ever heard the song "A boy named Sue"?

Well, Sue turns out to be one tough ****, because he got teased for his name. Maybe that's what Jordy's parents were thinking.

Anyways, back on topic, thanks Tophat. Good to see you back.

Interesting that Sporting News refers to Jordy as a deep threat. We'll see, but it appears our top 3 WRs are all deep threats, especially Gregorious Jennings. If Jordy can contribute deep, then forget it other teams. This will be a fun season to be a Packers fan.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Heck yeah, Johnny Cash is my homeboy. Got to hear it plenty when I was a kid riding in my dad's truck. But someone else originally wrote it right?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This killed me:

CBS Sportsline: B- Best pick: Taking quarterback Brian Brohm in the second round will turn out to be a great pick. He will be the starter in a few years.

Since Rodgers couldn't beat out a Hall of Famer means that he won't be starting a few years from now....

Questionable move: They drafted Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson in the second round, higher than most expected. There were also some bigger-name receivers still on the board.

How have the careers of Chad Jackson and Greg Jennings stacked up against each other? I recall Jackson being one of the "big name" WR in that draft. What about Sinorice Moss, or Santonio Holmes, for that matter?

This is why I hate watching games on CBS. They know crap about football.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
pack_in_black said:

Heck yeah, Johnny Cash is my homeboy. Got to hear it plenty when I was a kid riding in my dad's truck. But someone else originally wrote it right?

Well hopefully Jordy doesn't make us Cry..Cry..Cry!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really get a kick out of some of these guys. I don't know that any team out there picked up more guys that have a lot of upside to develope into good or great players.

MOST of these guys, reading their bio's, moved from other positions so they may take a year or two to really show what they can do. Nelson played on D as a sophmore I think, Lee was a safety in '06, the Louisville kid played some TE as well as tackle, and Finley was one of the younger guys in the entire draft. Thompson played in a "read and react" defense that is an absolute DE killer when it comes to stats. Wait till they cut that kid loose.

Then you have Brohm who get's to learn under MM who is great with young qb's.

Looks to me like a draft done right. Young guys who have the opportunity to grow into positions they haven't been at for very long but showed athleticism and talent in the short time they've played.

Question. What group of rookies from the '08 draft will turn their teams around this year?

Answer. NONE. If your relying on rookies for that your grasping big time.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
This killed me:

CBS Sportsline: B- Best pick: Taking quarterback Brian Brohm in the second round will turn out to be a great pick. He will be the starter in a few years.

Since Rodgers couldn't beat out a Hall of Famer means that he won't be starting a few years from now....

Questionable move: They drafted Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson in the second round, higher than most expected. There were also some bigger-name receivers still on the board.

How have the careers of Chad Jackson and Greg Jennings stacked up against each other? I recall Jackson being one of the "big name" WR in that draft. What about Sinorice Moss, or Santonio Holmes, for that matter?

This is why I hate watching games on CBS. They know crap about football.

I whole-heartedly agree. At the same time however, the draft is what you make it, it's up to the teams now to know how to develop these players and fit them into their system, that's what it's all about not names or how well they did in college.

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
pack_in_black said:

correct!

I'm pretty positive Jordy is an awesome acronym for something that tells us more about Jordy than a more manly first name ever could.

(Normally I'd type out an an acronym at this point, but I'll be honest: I couldn't think of anything creative for 'O' and 'D'. The best I got was 'ovulate', which is really sad and disgusting. :-? )

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPHAT is back!! Just in time for rookie camp and TC to start - last year I loved reading all the happenings you posted almost daily.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really get a kick out of some of these guys. I don't know that any team out there picked up more guys that have a lot of upside to develope into good or great players.

MOST of these guys, reading their bio's, moved from other positions so they may take a year or two to really show what they can do. Nelson played on D as a sophmore I think, Lee was a safety in '06, the Louisville kid played some TE as well as tackle, and Finley was one of the younger guys in the entire draft. Thompson played in a "read and react" defense that is an absolute DE killer when it comes to stats. Wait till they cut that kid loose.

Then you have Brohm who get's to learn under MM who is great with young qb's.

Looks to me like a draft done right. Young guys who have the opportunity to grow into positions they haven't been at for very long but showed athleticism and talent in the short time they've played.

Question. What group of rookies from the '08 draft will turn their teams around this year?

Answer. NONE. If your relying on rookies for that your grasping big time.

what you were saying about guys who changed positions and didnt get a really perfect chance to show what they had. Brett Favre was recruited at Southern Miss to play defensive back. Ron Wolf saw what really mattered. a football player.

Mel Kiper scouts numbers. Ted Thompson drafts football players.

some guys just get it. we want those guys on our team.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPHAT is back!! Just in time for rookie camp and TC to start - last year I loved reading all the happenings you posted almost daily.

GOOD TO BE BACK PACKER FANS!

:pop: 8)

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm... J-O-R-D-Y.... Jesus On Roids, Destroying Y'all?
Just One Really Dominating Youth?
Juke Open, Run, Dive - YAC?

Members online

Latest posts