NFL Caves on Pats-Giants exclusivity

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.......so politicians finally accomplished something important!!!
(I'm just kidding!!!)
Isn't it something though? It took all that to get a FOOTBALL GAME TELEVISED!!!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need a real announcer though. Preferably one that knows what teams are playing. And one that knows the players names.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need a real announcer though. Preferably one that knows what teams are playing. And one that knows the players names.
thats just sad...
now i udnerstand its history in the making and all...but how many are willing to bet this may just backfire if the pats get dominated by the third or fourth quarter.
well heres to hoping something else may be on...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Man, I get SOOO sick of hearing about the Patriots. I mean, they even make a huge deal about the Dolphins/Pats game. For those of you that don't have the NFL Network, be glad. All they talk about is the Pat's, and now they're replaying half of their games from this season in preparation for their last. Gaaah, I get SICK of them. HELLO, there are other teams in the league!!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(I'm just kidding!!!)

John Kerry, the man behind Lambert Field asked that the whole game be shown to the country.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why bother watching the Pats they suck i mean the Dolphins could have beaten them :( so the talk would have been about the Dolphins now why is a undefeated season 16-0??
i thought the Dolphins didn't lose 1 game and they won the superbowl thats an unbeaten season GOD I HATE THE PATS.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
(I'm just kidding!!!)

John Kerry, the man behind Lambert Field asked that the whole game be shown to the country.
(LOL!) I remember that...."Lambert" Field!!!
I heard next he went to Chicago, to "Wiggly" field, then made a stop at the Hoover "Darn" (he wouldn't swear!)LOLOL! :lol:
The whole thing made me laugh.But heck, most stadiums, I wouldn't know the names of either! :wink:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does any1 else find the pats as boring as me?

They're only the most dominant team in possibly the history of the NFL, but yeah, they bore me..... :p

Hate em all you want, they're probably going down as The Greatest Team Ever by the end of the season. Me, I love watching history in the making.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like watching them. I almost want them to lose as much as I want the Pack to win. It likes watching GB twice on Sunday. Anyways, they may go down as the best team ever and if they go 16-0 they deserve it. However, in my eyes, they are really not that dominant. I've seen teams over the last 2 decades that ended up with 3-4 losses at the end of the year that I think could easily beat this team.

I think the Colts a few years ago, the year they lost to Pitt in the playoffs, were a pretty damn good team. Losing to Pitt that year was a fluke. Pitt was possibly the 3-4 best team in the league and they won the SB. The best teams don't always come out on top in the NFL. Any given Sunday

OP
OP
P

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey now - the best team on Super Bowl Sunday is what matters. No they sure weren't dominant all of the '05 season but 8 straight wins to close out the season is nothing to sneeze at. I'd rather that then an 8-0 start and sitting home in January...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't get interested in this game. Neither team has anything to play for in terms of playoff position. A lot of starters will be pulled early in the game--as they should be.

If the Giants win, it will be somewhat historical, even if the Patriots go on to win the Super Bowl, but I just don't think an undefeated season is that big a deal compared to winning a championship. The game that will really define this Patriots team will be played in February--assuming they get that far, which they probably will.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa! It's halftime and the Giants are ahead 21-16. It's been a great game so far. I was not expecting this at all. I wonder if they'll continue to play all their starters in the second half.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the same results as all season..............darn.
I saw a little of the game while i was in Green Bay, then listened to a little of it on the drive home.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But did you catch the halftime show? The NFL is not stupid. They knew that a lot of people would watch on the regular channels so they tossed in a 60 second clip advertising what the NFL Network has to offer (Draft coverage, training camp, some exclusive games) so that people will continue to push their cable companies to add them to the lineup.

What I do not understand is what right does the Senate have to threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemption (probably an empty threat) to force them to broadcast the game over the air? All of the NFL Network games are also broadcast in their local cities as well so how is it any different from anyone else that does not live near their favorite team? I live in SC and there are many times when I cannot watch the Packers (I am listening to them now on the Internet). Should I call my Senators and complain that the NFL does not give me a free subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But did you catch the halftime show? The NFL is not stupid. They knew that a lot of people would watch on the regular channels so they tossed in a 60 second clip advertising what the NFL Network has to offer (Draft coverage, training camp, some exclusive games) so that people will continue to push their cable companies to add them to the lineup.

What I do not understand is what right does the Senate have to threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemption (probably an empty threat) to force them to broadcast the game over the air? All of the NFL Network games are also broadcast in their local cities as well so how is it any different from anyone else that does not live near their favorite team? I live in SC and there are many times when I cannot watch the Packers (I am listening to them now on the Internet). Should I call my Senators and complain that the NFL does not give me a free subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket?

I don't know the specifics, but here's my best guess. An anti-trust exemption is just that: an exemption. If the Senate wants to take it away, they can. Nobody has the RIGHT to an exemption. For the NFL to withhold games from the public on their own private network can be viewed as an abuse of the exemption.

The difference between the NFL Network and your situation in SC is that at least the TV networks are giving you some games, even if they might not be the exact games you most want to see. But the NFL Network is taking those games off the more accessible channels just so they can make more money on them.