NFL better get it act together in terms of Officiating!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
After watching alot of non Packer games this weekend, the NFL better get together and figure out some way to hold the Officiating Crews more accountable on the games.

I honestly can't say I haven't seen a worse week in terms of officiating.. from calls on the field to even replays that evidence pretty clearly suggested that call needed to be over-turned. Two plays ... the Colts fumble late in the first half that wasn't over-turned and the Edwards play in the ARI game in which he was clearly touched as he was going down.

Or questionable calls such as the holding last night on the Ravens... talk about ticky tack horse-puky calls..

It raises more and more suspicion with the large lines in these games.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the first year that I have come to actually believe that the NFL is "shaping" the outcomes of games through officiating. It seems a select few teams have benefited from what I would egregious calls/non-calls.

The pass holding call against the Ravens inside the 10 yard line last night is only the latest example. That was such a ******** call....almost as if the league and/or officiating crews are helping "destiny" be achieved. Al Harris strips a ball and stays in bounds? Even with review these chuckle****s cannot get it right!!. Incidential contact inside the 10 against Bigby is interference? If the calls were evenly dispersed amongst the teams playing one another, it would be one thing. But the tendency is that one team bears a more significant load, with the outcomes of games often being deternined by non-players.

Such ********!

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed it in other games as well. Its the whole league. I'm sure the NFL wants certain teams to make it further than others. A Patriots/Cowboys Super Bowl is probably what the NFL really wants. But, teams have to be able to overcome bad calls and still win games. We've done just that quite a few times this season.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is a start...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7526090?MSNHPHMA

NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL is looking into a postgame comment by Baltimore cornerback Samari Rolle, who contends an on-field official called him "boy" during the Ravens' 27-24 loss to New England.

Rolle identified the official by his number rather than by name following the Monday night game, which was marked by several disputed officiating decisions.
"The refs called me a boy," Rolle said, according to a transcript of postgame comments provided to the media by the Ravens. "No. 110 called me a boy."

Both Rolle and the official, identified in the NFL official guide as head linesman Phil McKinnely, are black. The 54-year-old McKinnely played in the NFL as an offensive tackle from 1976-82. He spent five seasons with Atlanta and one each with the Rams and Chicago.

"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before."'

The Ravens were demonstrative after the game about the officiating, especially on the final drive that led to Tom Brady's pass to Jabar Gaffney for the winning touchdown with 44 seconds left. After the touchdown, set up by a fourth-down defensive holding call on Jamaine Winborne, linebacker Bart Scott was penalized 15 yards for complaining and another 15 yards for throwing the official's flag.

"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah......the refs have been PERFECT this season. It's just people complaining all the time. Fans don't like to face the fact that their team lost, and will make up ANY reason other then the fact that their team just plain lost.
I'm tired of all the complaining about the refs.

J/K!
I just wrote that to find out what it feels to be on the "other" side! I don't really BELIEVE it!!! :wink: :lol:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard not to be suspicious after that NBA ref was caught taking money from gamblers. Sometimes I wonder about it with NFL refs too. But I don't know, a lot of it is that the rules are so complicated. I heard that under current rules there was good reason for that pass to the Colts player to be ruled incomplete, rather than a catch and a fumble. I don't understand it, but that's what somebody wrote. The tuck rule is another example of a rule that is just plain weird. (I've always liked what Mike Holmgren said about that rule: "If a hundred guys in a bar think it's a fumble, then it's a fumble.")

And a lot of it is just opinion. I thought there was only one bad call in the Packer-Cowboy game: the Harris takeaway where Owens was ruled down before the strip. The holding call against the Ravens late against the Patriots looked like a pretty obvious one to me. And Rolle is wrong to say that you don't make a call like that in a game of that magnitude. The rules should be enforced consistently. When are refs supposed to stop calling penalties? After the two-minute warning? There needs to be a standard, and the best standard is to enforce the rules equally at all times.

Then there was the uncalled force-out that supposedly cost the Browns the game in Arizona on Sunday. I only saw it once, and it looked like a borderline play. Could've gone either way. Sometimes that happens, and whichever side has the call go against them thinks it is being screwed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Greg.Penalties SHOULD be called consistantly throughout ANY game. I don't care if it's the Super Bowl.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Greg.Penalties SHOULD be called consistantly throughout ANY game. I don't care if it's the Super Bowl.

Normally I don't get into much debate on the site, but this is a common theme in soccer/futball as well, as far as some people think.

I tend to disagree, and especially when I an refereeing. We get foul counts and half time and the end of the game. Some officials make a huge deal about having a balanced foul count. I think that's a load of bs. If one team is hacking the crap out of the other, why should the foul count be balanced, or even close for that matter? There is only so much talking you can do to players before they get to the point in which they are not there to play anymore, just to hack and see if they can come up with the ball.

Maybe soccer is a little different, but I rarely keep in mind how "balanced" the foul count is when I am running games, if you foul, you get called. If you persistently foul, you (or as a team) someone's getting a card.

:twocents: :twocents:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Normally I don't get into much debate on the site, but this is a common theme in soccer/futball as well, as far as some people think.

I tend to disagree, and especially when I an refereeing. We get foul counts and half time and the end of the game. Some officials make a huge deal about having a balanced foul count. I think that's a load of bs. If one team is hacking the crap out of the other, why should the foul count be balanced, or even close for that matter? There is only so much talking you can do to players before they get to the point in which they are not there to play anymore, just to hack and see if they can come up with the ball.

Maybe soccer is a little different, but I rarely keep in mind how "balanced" the foul count is when I am running games, if you foul, you get called. If you persistently foul, you (or as a team) someone's getting a card.

It sounds like you are agreeing with us, Ryan. We're talking about the refs being consistent in making their calls, which is a very different thing from "balancing" the calls. What I'm saying is that calls should be consistent regardless of the situation. In other words, if the ref thinks it's a penalty, he should not be afraid to call it.

Some people say that a game should not be decided by a penalty, but I don't think that's as bad as having the game decided by somebody breaking the rules and getting away with it.

I definitely agree with you that trying to get a "balanced" foul count in soccer is total B.S. I'm surprised that refs would do that.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had watched this conversation about the refs on TV, they said most of the time the refs are suppose to just walk away, but IMO thats not what happened this time, I believe the ref called him a "boy" these are suppose to be professional refs, I think they also should get fined if they do wrong especially if they are saying things they shouldnt that just stirs the pot.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
cheesey said:

It sounds like you are agreeing with us, Ryan. We're talking about the refs being consistent in making their calls, which is a very different thing from "balancing" the calls. What I'm saying is that calls should be consistent regardless of the situation. In other words, if the ref thinks it's a penalty, he should not be afraid to call it.

Some people say that a game should not be decided by a penalty, but I don't think that's as bad as having the game decided by somebody breaking the rules and getting away with it.

I definitely agree with you that trying to get a "balanced" foul count in soccer is total B.S. I'm surprised that refs would do that.
Yup Greg and Ryan! Thats what i mean. NOT to "balance" the calls, but if a foul is committed, call it consistantly. If one of the teams is committing 90% of the fouls, call them against them. Just be consistant in what you call. If you are letting one team get away with fouls, then you have to let the other team get away with it to. If you are calling ticky tack fouls against one team, then call them against the other team also.

Members online

Latest posts