Next up: Kuhn, Flynn, and jones

greenbayscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with captain. Flynn and Kuhn back but no Jones. We will draft a WR in late rounds

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to re-sign Kuhn and Flynn to deals close to the veterans minimum, don't have a feeling about what is going to happen with Jones.

I could see about a dozen teams that could use jones, surprised he hasn't signed yet.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want someone else to sign Jones. He's put in so much work over the past two years and he deserves his big paycheck. Like a poster above said, many teams could use him. But we've got three solid guys ahead of him that need to be resigned plus whoever we pick up through the draft/UDFA we try to develop.

I'd hate to see the market sour twice on such a hard working, likeable guy. :tdown:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should resign Flynn he clearly gives us a chance to win as a backup hopefully he is not needed but that's all you can ask from a backup. I don't know if we need Kuhn back. Seems we could have somebody better take his 3rd down snaps ie Lacy, Franklin, or Harris would give us a better option on third down. I hope TT resigns Starks instead he is a good player much more explosive than Lacy and still a big guy great number 2 back. The running back position would be looking good with Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Starks , and a 7th round or ufa full back. Jones would be nice to have back at 3 million a year for 2 years. Even if he is back TT will draft a WR in 2nd or 3rd round. If he's not back he'll draft two one in 2nd or 3rd and one in 5th-7th. Odell Beckham is a Greg Jennings type who might be around in 2nd. Jordan Matthews is a jordy type who we will take in 2nd if he's there and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him in the first if we trade back a bit. Jeff Janis is a jordy type we may target in the 5th. Dri Archer is a Cobb type we could target in the 3rd or 6th depending on whose projections you believe. Martavis Bryant is a Randy Moss type we could get in the 3rd.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should resign Flynn he clearly gives us a chance to win as a backup hopefully he is not needed but that's all you can ask from a backup. I don't know if we need Kuhn back. Seems we could have somebody better take his 3rd down snaps ie Lacy, Franklin, or Harris would give us a better option on third down. I hope TT resigns Starks instead he is a good player much more explosive than Lacy and still a big guy great number 2 back. The running back position would be looking good with Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Starks , and a 7th round or ufa full back. Jones would be nice to have back at 3 million a year for 2 years. Even if he is back TT will draft a WR in 2nd or 3rd round. If he's not back he'll draft two one in 2nd or 3rd and one in 5th-7th. Odell Beckham is a Greg Jennings type who might be around in 2nd. Jordan Matthews is a jordy type who we will take in 2nd if he's there and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him in the first if we trade back a bit. Jeff Janis is a jordy type we may target in the 5th. Dri Archer is a Cobb type we could target in the 3rd or 6th depending on whose projections you believe. Martavis Bryant is a Randy Moss type we could get in the 3rd.

A tightend Is more of a need now vs a wr.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kuhn is more valuable for blitz picking up ( i.e. how he blocked peppers so Rodgers could toss the TD to Cobb )

I know he REALLY wants to come back, but not sure at what price he is looking for

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn is more valuable for blitz picking up ( i.e. how he blocked peppers so Rodgers could toss the TD to Cobb )

I know he REALLY wants to come back, but not sure at what price he is looking for

Wouldnt be shocked if he became the highest paid full back in the NFl... Not the least.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Now that the Seahawks re-structured there TE Miller, I would like to see what TT can sign Finley for if he clears medical. The market on TE's in free agency has been soft. Maybe Finley will go for a 1 year prove it contract for a little more then what Raji got.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want someone else to sign Jones. He's put in so much work over the past two years and he deserves his big paycheck. Like a poster above said, many teams could use him. But we've got three solid guys ahead of him that need to be resigned plus whoever we pick up through the draft/UDFA we try to develop.

I'd hate to see the market sour twice on such a hard working, likeable guy. :tdown:
I love Jones as much as any player on the team, and I share your concern for his finances.

However, I believe he'd rather leave a little money on the table and remain with his family, the Packers, and our fans.

My worry is that Teddy will not even make him any offer because he has to allocate his WR $ to the younger Cobb & Jordy for next year's new deals.

I see James Jones wearing his familiar #89 next year in Carolina.
Steve Smith was kicked out of Carolina so the # is available now.
And they also lost Brandon LaFell tonight to the Patriots. Panthers need WRs and they missed out on Hakeem Nicks who went to Andrew Luck. They should and I think will give some good money to my man Jones.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly should be next. I really like the guy and he was getting better and better as the season went on. I really hope the injury wasn't career ending, and if he passes physically, we should bring him back. I fear, we are headed in a different direction with our DL though.

Flynn should be next. He should be cheap, doubt anyone gives him a shot other than the Pack.

Really like Jones, but the market is really bad right now. Perhaps we get him back for about 1/2 of what he is worth. Regardless, we should really be thinking about a WR in the first 3 rounds. There will be a really good one available in the 3rd. In looking a player rankings and mock drafts, there are usually a couple of guys who I think are really good in the 2nd and 3rd rounds near our pick. I know its not a need, but it is the Jordy syndrome. He wasn't a need when we grabbed him, but sure glad now that TT pulled that trigger. Anyway, there is impact level talent should be available in the 3rd in this very deep WR draft.

Reaction score
If we don't sign Flynn we're a bunch of tards. And I'd rather see them sign Jones before Kuhn. The guy has heart on the field and he's made some big plays for us. Sign all three though. They're Packers through and through.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He underwhelms people. I like the kid a lot. A lot. However, even in a year like 2013 when he had a chance to come out from Greg Jennings shadow, he turns in a decent season - never great ones. There were not a ton of other healthy receivers to take away receptions this year. One could argue that Rodgers was also missing but the point is that he flashes abilities, makes the big grabs but still has a tendency to drop the gimmes, and doesn't steal the show when the team really needs it. He's a consummate #2 receiver and will get paid accordingly

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Jones will be back, cheap again, like 3 years ago. Reading between these lines, it almost seems as if he's having to try and sell himself, not generating real interest.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
"WR James Jones just told me he wants this known: 'I would love the opportunity to play for the Carolina Panthers. I would love to play with Cam (Newton).'" - Josina Anderson

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
WR Jerricho Cotchery will meet with the Panthers on Monday, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One could argue that Rodgers was also missing but ....
That's not just an "oh by the way".... that was huge.
I had Jordy in fantasy, and with Rodgers, he was great. Scored TDs.
Without Rodgers, he never scored a TD until the Dallas game.

Makes a huge difference.
Two years ago, Jones LED THE NFL IN TD CATCHES.
TDs are a pretty important stat.... I love James and want him back more than any remaining FA we have.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was skunked in the first game, monster game in Week 2, three catches in Week 3, big game again in Week 4, fell asleep again in Week 5, and then got injured. The rest of the season was pretty much a loss except for Steelers. It fits his MO - there one week and not the rest. If this type of play was only due to Rodgers' injury, then I'd be with ya. Again, I really do like James Jones but am saying that the reason that most teams are staying away is that he has a tendency to disappear week to week, with or without Rodgers in the lineup. He had a good 2012 season in terms of TD production, but everything else about him is jeckel-and-hyde #2 wide receiver. Great guy, great teammate, nice soft hands, just doesn't put it all together on game day often enough.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for your great service to the Green Bay Packers, James Jones. We hardly knew ye. Poor guy having to play for the Raiders...

D

Deleted member 6794

Thank you for your great service to the Green Bay Packers, James Jones. We hardly knew ye. Poor guy having to play for the Raiders...

Sometimes I really have a hard time getting things like that. Even if they're paying a little more money than the Packers why does he want to go there???

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I really have a hard time getting things like that. Even if they're paying a little more money than the Packers why does he want to go there???

I would assume its about being wanted. Hometown as already said. $$$. From my understanding him n reggie got along well, so that might be part of it. He will also most likely be the #1 there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe the Packers didn't want him back? And he's a San Jose St. product, so maybe there's the hometown factor.

I would assume its about being wanted. Hometown as already said. $$$. From my understanding him n reggie got along well, so that might be part of it. He will also most likely be the #1 there.

I understand all of the points both of you came up with and it's absolutely possible the Packers didn't even offer him a contract.

Nevertheless I think the Raiders are a odd choice for a free agent WR. Nobody knows how their QB situation will turn out and it will be tough for him to produce significant numbers. And while the money looks good in the short term it's very possible he won't see the end of the conteact there, especially if Reggie gets fired after next season (as owner Mark Davis has already threatened uf they don't turn it around in 2014).

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand all of the points both of you came up with and it's absolutely possible the Packers didn't even offer him a contract.

Nevertheless I think the Raiders are a odd choice for a free agent WR. Nobody knows how their QB situation will turn out and it will be tough for him to produce significant numbers. And while the money looks good in the short term it's very possible he won't see the end of the conteact there, especially if Reggie gets fired after next season (as owner Mark Davis has already threatened uf they don't turn it around in 2014).

From his sirus XM interview: My relationship with Reggie McKenzie was a factor and me being a Bay Area kid, I want to help turn this thing around. ... I had a chance to talk to Aaron and told him thanks for everything, and I have a good relationships with the Packers' receivers.

Members online

Latest posts