Newest injuries Woodson and Starks

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything on Clifton in a while now. I wonder when or even if he'll be back this season. Newhouse has been holding his own pretty good but going into the playoffs we'll be up (likely) against the Saints and we'll need better protection.

Back issue last week

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The JSOnline interviewed James Starks and he doesn't think he will be out that long with his
sprained ankle. He will probably need at least a couple of weeks though to heal.

I say rest him as long as he needs. It's not like it's a pressing issue if he doesn't play these next few games. We have 3 guys (Grant, Kuhn, Saine) that can run the ball. We need Starks healthy for the playoffs

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This thread is an example of why I care much more about another title than going 19-0. I hope they rest Woodson even if he's cleared to go. He is constantly battling one injury or another and before the end of the regular season - yes even though he'll get the first week of the playoffs off - I hope they rest him. The same with Starks - he's clearly their best RB and I hope they make damn sure he's absolutely positively healthy for the playoff run.

Mike Neal is a pretty big guy - not BJ Raji big but pretty big. He wears number 96 and plays on the Packers' DL. I mention this only because apparently some Packers fans don't notice players unless they're mentioned by TV announcers. :rolleyes: Neal played a few snaps against the Buccaneers, a few more against the Lions and played about 25 snaps against the Giants. I understand frustration with his lack of impact so far but Packers fans ought to at least notice he's played, shouldn't they? :D I have noticed him getting a good push on occasion but mostly I'm happy he's still healthy. I hope he starts to get in a pass rushing grove on New Year's Day.

D

Dan115

This thread is an example of why I care much more about another title than going 19-0. I hope they rest Woodson even if he's cleared to go. He is constantly battling one injury or another and before the end of the regular season - yes even though he'll get the first week of the playoffs off - I hope they rest him. The same with Starks - he's clearly their best RB and I hope they make damn sure he's absolutely positively healthy for the playoff run.

Mike Neal is a pretty big guy - not BJ Raji big but pretty big. He wears number 96 and plays on the Packers' DL. I mention this only because apparently some Packers fans don't notice players unless they're mentioned by TV announcers. :rolleyes: Neal played a few snaps against the Buccaneers, a few more against the Lions and played about 25 snaps against the Giants. I understand frustration with his lack of impact so far but Packers fans ought to at least notice he's played, shouldn't they? :D I have noticed him getting a good push on occasion but mostly I'm happy he's still healthy. I hope he starts to get in a pass rushing grove on New Year's Day.

I agree. The goal is to win the Super Bowl.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they rest Woodson even if he's cleared to go. He is constantly battling one injury or another and before the end of the regular season - yes even though he'll get the first week of the playoffs off - I hope they rest him. The same with Starks - he's clearly their best RB and I hope they make damn sure he's absolutely positively healthy for the playoff run.

I think with starks and an ankle you sit him for as long as he needs to be 100% for the play offs and rest can do that for him. But with Charles Woodson and that head injury you got to think that aging body of his is going to be nicked up and aching no matter what, a few weeks off might bring in more of a rust factor than a healthiness factor.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Neal played a few snaps against the Buccaneers, a few more against the Lions and played about 25 snaps against the Giants. I understand frustration with his lack of impact so far but Packers fans ought to at least notice he's played, shouldn't they? :D I have noticed him getting a good push on occasion but mostly I'm happy he's still healthy. I hope he starts to get in a pass rushing grove on New Year's Day.

I watched 96 during the game and he did little to nothing. On the one Jacobs run for good yardage he absolutely got crushed. I hope we see something more out of him....soon.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-injury-update-woodson-expected-back-for-raiders-game

One day after sustaining a concussion during Sunday's win over the New York Giants that required cornerback Charles Woodson to leave the game, head coach Mike McCarthy didn't sound as if his defensive back would miss much time.

"He's going through the protocol," said McCarthy during his Monday press conference. "The medical staff feels good that he'll probably play this week."

The Packers return home to play the Oakland Raders this upcoming Sunday as they continue their quest to earn a bye week in the playoffs and lock up home-field advantage.

Running back James Starks aggravated his ankle for a third consecutive game on Sunday against the Giants, and his status for the Raiders game is still up in the air.

McCarthy was asked whether there was a tendency to be more cautious with Starks given his ankle that just can't seem to heal and the need to have him for more important games down the road.

"Really, the medical staff makes that decision," said McCarthy. "Right now, our foot's on the gas, and we're going. We're playing to win games, and it's yes or no when I meet with the trainers. I can't live in this world of gray, because you have to make decisions.

"It's a team sport. People need to get prepared to play with each other, next to each other, and so when a player is cleared we'll get him in there. When he's not, we'll get him healthy. Injuries are a part of it, and we have a staff that does a great job with our players. And there's a lot of communication and time that goes into it. In James' particular case, we need to get him healthy, but I don't think it's a long-term issue."

A.J. Hawk, Desmond Bishop and Josh Sitton all received the same classification from McCarthy: they're getting better but their status is still uncertain.

Like Starks, they'll all undergo testing on Wednesday to determine if they'll be able to practice.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-hawk-ahead-of-bishop-in-recovery
A.J. Hawk is further along in his recovery from a calf injury than fellow inside linebacker Desmond Bishop, head coach Mike McCarthy said at his Wednesday press conference. Neither Hawk nor Bishop practiced today, the Packers first practice of the week in preparation for their game this upcoming Sunday against the Oakland Raiders. "Desmond is not going to practice today or tomorrow," said McCarthy. "He'll be challenged to get on the field this week. A.J. is further ahead. I had the chance to watch A.J. a little bit in his rehab. He's getting close."

Based upon McCarthy's comments, he left the door open to Bishop possibly practicing on Friday, the final day of practice before the Raiders game, but by saying he'll be challenged to get on the field this week, he didn't sound particularly optimistic.

It would seem that Hawk, meanwhile, would have an opportunity to practice both Thursday and Friday. And as of right now, that would appear the most likely scenario would include Hawk and D.J. Smith as the starters on Dec. 11 against the Raiders.

In other injury news, offensive linemen Josh Sitton and Chad Clifton have both been ruled out for the Raiders game, which is no different than last week.

Cornerback Charles Woodson practiced in limited fashion on Wednesday as he goes through the protocol of returning to full-time action after suffering a concussion in New York. "He looks good, and I would anticipate he'll play this week," said McCarthy said of Woodson.

After learning linebacker Erik Walden would be charged with disorderly conduct from a Brown County court this morning, McCarthy said Walden's status has not changed and would start this weekend. He also said they would continue to monitor his situation.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Any news if Woodson got one of those new helmets to try and help prevent concussions? I know we got Rodgers one, and I'm just hoping Woodson got one too, we need him.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Any news if Woodson got one of those new helmets to try and help prevent concussions? I know we got Rodgers one, and I'm just hoping Woodson got one too, we need him.

I believe the team doesnt do it, the players have to get them

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
LTF, you are right the team doesn't provide the special helmets, I guess we will just wait till Sunday then.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Looks to me that Rodg is back to the old standard helmet now.

I believe he still has the new model, the interior has a clear blue lining, and has more curves than his old one, and comparing pictures of the one he wore versus the Jets last year and the Giants this year you can see the difference.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you've compared them I take your word for it, but the helmet he wore on Sunday sure looked to be identical to the one I wore in HS, complete with the blue lining. I didn't see any of the tell-tale curves of the newer helmets. But I really wasn't paying close attention either.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard Rodgers say somewhere that he's gotten used to the new helmet and plans on wearing it for the rest of his career.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, Rodgers is still wearing the new helmet. If there is evidence that the new helmets do reduce the number and/or severity of concussions, why doesn't every NFL player have one? And if the teams are not providing these helmets to every player, if there is evidence, why not?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Rodgers is still wearing the new helmet. If there is evidence that the new helmets do reduce the number and/or severity of concussions, why doesn't every NFL player have one? And if the teams are not providing these helmets to every player, if there is evidence, why not?

That's a good question. If NFL wants to reduce injuries to players by cracking down on illegal tackles, such as helmet to helmet, and if they have a helmet that they think would reduce the risk of head injury, why not make it mandatory. For comparison, NASCAR introduced the HANS (Head and Neck Support) device after the death of a popular driver. The devices stabilizes the head and neck of the driver in the cockpit to prevent injury in the event of a wreck. The device is mandatory. Maybe if the NFL cares so much as to change the style of play (hitting, tackles), they should look into taking a similar tactic as NASCAR and make those helmets mandatory.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people would be surprised at how stubborn football players are. They get a helmet in college or even high school they like, that's comfortable for them, and they just wear it, no matter how much data there is out there to support other helmets being much safer. Look around the league at the WRs and DBs. None of them wear pads in their pants to make it more comfortable and flexible.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....or most likely is that the helmet manufacturer has some kind of a financial deal in place for the old style of helmets. Although, playing devil's advocate to my previous statement, you'd think that they would just make a deal for the new, more expensive helmets.

Members online