Nees

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another website, someone started a thread about the team personnel needs next year.

I started to make a list, then realized most positions on the team are not secure, with the possible exception of one safety, perhaps one corner, middle linebacker. Both offensive tackles.We could live with Sander as punter.

That's it.

How the hell can TT possibly rebuild this train wreck in one year?

First look at the FA's and resticteds. Realize that many of those players are likely to be gone for different reasons.

The team will have a high draft pick...but will have just five selections, probably six when the NFL hands out compensation. They don't get anything for Sharper and Wahle as far as draft compensation as they were cut, but they do get credit for Rivera and Jue, which shouldn't be very high.

Javon Walker will be back, but will he be 100%? Ferguson? Chatman? More depth needed there.

Realize Kurt Campbell is coming back, but is totally unknown, but Poppinga will likely be slow to return. The linebackers need help.

The D-line will be back(not Grady) but are they good enough? I don't think so.

They will likely need at least one running back, assuming they resign Fisher and Gado.(Green likely gone)

The tackles are adequate, but the guard-center problem will remain.

Longwell will be allowed to test the market and be gone. I doubt they will put the franchise tag on a kicker.

Last but not least, QB.
Nall is likely to go to a place like New Orleans.
Brett returning or not might be immaterial, since next year might not be any different than this year.

Welcome to The Green Bay Rebuilding Packers.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis Net. I have been thinking the same thing. This team has a serious lack of talent and/or depth and I dont know the best way to attack it. Do you try to aquire a few high end talents and hope for development or do you get your hands on as many mid level players as possible and work from there?

With very few exceptions every spot should be up for competition and the best performers in next years preseason should get the job.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, if we get a solid lineman, good draft pick on the defensive side of the ball (IE; AJ Hawk, Mario Williams etc.) and make sure Driver and Walker are happy/healthy, tack on Brett Favre and the Packers could be in position to make a run at the North. Now, we need some luck for all this to happen, but in reality it could. Look what Bates did with one of the worst defenses in 2004! He made them (up until last night) the #1 pass defense team in the league. Al Harris played his best, and Barnett had another solid year. Another player to look at is Nick Collins, this boy played well this year, and I look for him to have another successful campaign in '06.

As for the quarterback position. In my opinion, Brett Favre makes a bad team worse, a decent team good, a good team great, and a great team unstoppable. His gunslinger mentality made his season look like crap. If you can give him some playmakers on offense, the Pack will be back.

Now, onto whether or not this will indeed happen. I'm not sure, you need to see how TT decides he wants to approach the off-season. Should be an interesting ride.

Go Pack!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that they are in need of more than just one or two players even if Favre comes back. By the way, if Favre does come back what makes everyone assume that he is going to light it up? He will be 37 and he has already topped his own record for INTs thrown this season. He very well could come back and look like Willy Mays stumbling around the field.
The good news for the Packers is that they have plenty of cap money to spend but if they don't spend it wisely it will set the rebuilding process back even further. Maybe even years.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I think that they are in need of more than just one or two players even if Favre comes back. By the way, if Favre does come back what makes everyone assume that he is going to light it up? He will be 37 and he has already topped his own record for INTs thrown this season. He very well could come back and look like Willy Mays stumbling around the field.
The good news for the Packers is that they have plenty of cap money to spend but if they don't spend it wisely it will set the rebuilding process back even further. Maybe even years.

Favre struggled with INTs this year, but he didn't look old out there. His scrabbling young legs helped him avoid many sacks and his arm is still the strongest in the league.

Brett's problem this year has been the need for him to scrabble so much. Because of the struggles on the OL, the running game was weak and there wasn't much pass protection. Add playing from behind and Brett's mentality to do too much when others struggle and you get the crazy INTs.

TT's first responsibility is to rebuild the OL that he let fall apart this year! We have a couple of solid centers to replace Flanny (Ruegy and Wells), so the key is the 2 guard positions. Walker will be back, Driver's still solid and Gado will be back. Add to that the TE threats of Bubba, Lee and Martin. The final piece will be Brett returning. Give Favre his weapons and a solid OL and this is a great offense.

On offense the only missing pieces are the guards. Solidify the line and this offense will be one of the best again. On defense, we're still getting better. The offense is still the strength of the team, but the defense has improved to the point that they're not a major weakness.

Philly talks doom and gloom because that's all da bears have known for many years now. I grew up with the doom and gloom Packer years and this team is far from that.

GO PACK GO!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Maybe Nall will go to Detroit.

If Brett should retire, we should get someone like Kitna.

Not a bad idea. We could look to transition Rodgers into becoming a starter the same way the Giants did with Manning by bringing in Warner.

Royston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Javon Walker will be back, but will he be 100%? Ferguson? Chatman? More depth needed there.

Packers need to bring in a quality go to TE and a quality veteran WR. Don't be suprised if Javon Walker joins Ferguson as an injury prone problem.

net said:
They will likely need at least one running back, assuming they resign Fisher and Gado.(Green likely gone)

Packers should dump Green and Davenport and bring in a quality RB to start. Don't put too much into what Gado did this season. Fisher and Gado will be backups in 2006.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
GakkofNorway said:
Maybe Nall will go to Detroit.

If Brett should retire, we should get someone like Kitna.

Oh please do bring in Kitna :D

Humm.... Who would I rather have?? Kitna who threw for almost 3600 yards and 26 TDs in 2003 or Orton who has thrown for 1800 yards and 9 TDs this year?? What a tough decision...

Kinda funny that a bears fan is trying to doll out advice about offense.

GrizleeBear54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the pack would be smart to grab Lweis as a rb from the ravens...

and Carr from the Texans for a QB...

Oline they need to draft and free agent as well defense could hold them for a year....

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GrizleeBear54 said:
the pack would be smart to grab Lweis as a rb from the ravens...

and Carr from the Texans for a QB...

Oline they need to draft and free agent as well defense could hold them for a year....

Good thoughts, but I think the OL needs to come from FAs first. It's an immediate need and young guys take time to develop. We should draft some players and develop them while also picking up a couple FAs.

I'm not too worried about RB and Jamal Lewis will be looking for a big contract. Gado ran well behind a weak OL and there are many good prospects in the draft. RB is the best position for a rookie to make an immediate impact. We need to save our cap space for OL help and the RB situation will take care of itself. Two years ago we had 3 RBs who averaged over 5 ypc. These same RBs struggled big time this year even when they were healthy.

Carr would be a good pick-up at the right price. Not someone to overpay for though. QB may not be a need though. If Favres returns, then Rodgers has another year to develop. That should be plenty of time for him to be ready.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GrizleeBear54 said:
you'd really want 37 year old brett favre back for another year?

Hell Yes!! Favre has improved his mobility this year and his arm is still as strong as ever. To be a contender next year, GB needs Favre running the show.

He's struggled this year and made many stupid mistakes. But he's playing behind a weak OL which makes him scrabble almost every play and a missing threat in the running game.

Rebuild the OL in the offseason and Favre will be just fine.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grizzlee...I understand your concern being beaten like a red-headed stepchild for the past 15 years by Favre, but remember, Elway won 2 Super Bowls after his 37th birthday. Be afraid.....be very afraid!

Members online

Latest posts