Needs for next year

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft order won't be totally known until after the Super Bowl.
We are fairly certain the Packers won't be in the Super Bowl.

Beyond that, figuring draft order is like trying to guess how many clouds are in the sky.

What is more relavent to the discussion is future personnel needs.

You have to factor Free Agency into this.

Lets look at that first.

Allen, Kenderick DT UFA
Cole, Colin DT ERFA
Davis, Rob LS UFA
Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer DE UFA
Green, Ahman RB UFA
Herron, Noah RB ERFA
Humphrey, Tory TE ERFA
Jenkins, Cullen DT RFA
Lee, Donald TE UFA
Martin, David TE UFA
Ryan, Jon P ERFA
Taylor, Ben LB UFA
White, Tracy LB UFA

I got this from the RedZone, and I don't think KGB is a free agent. He might have a contract with voidable years, but I think he's signed.
Cullen Jenkins might get some interest, as might Donald Lee. The rest are basically back with the Pack, or cut, with the following exception:

Ahman Green is the Packers most prominent free agent, and also the top off-season question. Do you tender a longer-term contract to a 30 year old running back? Behind Green, the Packers have two competent reserves in Morency and Herron, but that is all they are is reserves.
I say regardless of what they do with Green, the Packers top priority is running back. If Peterson comes out from Oklahoma, they have to look at him, but he will be long gone by the time the Packers select. This is not a good year for running backs. Always remember Ted Thompson has never traded up to get a player. One possible free agent is Michael Turner at San Diego. He's RFA, and I can't image TT giving up a draft pick.
My bet is he will offer Ahman Green a short contract(two years) with a sizeable signing bonus.(Unless he gets injured in the remaining games).

Wide receiver: the Robert Ferguson experiment should end. If a quality wideout is there in FA or draft, that should be a priority, regardless of the Koren Robinson situation. The offense needs more than one wideout. Jennings is a keeper, Ruvell Martin has had his moments, but one more talented player would really be helpful.

Other areas of need: Left tackle, and the o-line in general. They have Kevin Barry and Josh Bourke on IR, but I don't think they will keep Barry. Bourke might get a look at tackle. Clifton's knees are bad, so they might look at an O-lineman to play either guard and move Colledge to tackle(his college position) or simply draft a tackle. Coston is a bust. He couldn't beat out three rookies this year? His only hope is at backup center, but they might look at another player to back up Wells and play guard.

FB:This will be Henderson's last year. They need another one behind (or in front of) Miree.

QB: yup friends, if they can find more talent here, I think they will draft one, if for no other reason than to upgrade the talent level. Favre or no Favre makes no difference in finding more talent here. I'm not sold on Rodgers.

Tight end: the Packers offense has been hurt because Bubba has been playing like crap, and guess what? David Martin is hurt again. The David Martin experiment should also end. Lee is a FA and might look for a starting job elsewhere.

DE: if a real meat-eater is out there, this is a position with a lack of depth. Montgomery is active, but not a starter.

Linebacker: they could use a quality backup.

I don't think you will see TT make a move in the current secondary, except to draft some talent at corner. So if the Packers do stay in the first round, I look for them to focus on that area, where there's some talent this year. Underwood and Blackmon will be back, but both are health risks.
Manuel is terrible, but can't be cut this year for salary reasons. He might do better next year after a full year in the system. Collins hasn't made enough big plays. He needs to come on.

Kickers: we're ok there. Both young men need to be more consistent.

Kick returns: really need to find a game-breaker like Hester is with Chicago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts