need help looking up a player from the 60's

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ran into a guy named Ken Burke , he said he played for GB in '65 . '66 . He said he played OG and backed up Kramer and Thurston -but was injured and didn't play . Just wanted to know if this guy is for real or giving me a tall tale . I tried to look up the roster from that time period but was unable to get to it . Could anyone find out some info on this ? and if you can , give me the link so I know how to do this in the future . Thanks and GO PACK!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohio packer fan- Ken Burke never played guard of the Packers in 1966 nor 1967 or ever. .
The Green Bay Packers in 1966 & 1967 carried only had three Guards on the roster in those years. Jerry Kramer, Fred "Fuzzy" Thurston and Gale Gillingham. Gale was drafted in 1966.

I also used a source to check this out. The book is called Green Bay Packers- A Measure of Greatness -- Author Eric Goska. I have the 2nd edition 1919-2003.

This 464 page book has:Season summaries from 1919 to 2003---Every team photo, Roster and draft list-Complete Statistics and all time records.

Also a complete list of all players that played for the Packers in the team history. Ken Burke is not on that list.

This is very complete and is very accurate.

PWT 36 (Green Bay born and Green Bay raised, a very long time Packer fan. now located in DePere, Wi just five miles from Lambeau Field.)

OP
OP
O

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info .I had my doubts about the guy telling me the truth , and now I know . I knew I could count on the packerforum to help me . Thanks again - GO PACK!!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could have been an undrafted free agent, a waiver pick up, or some other guy who lasted less than a week.

In 40 years will you remember Scorpio Babers??

You should have asked Mr. Burke what number he wore. That is usually a good indicator too depending on how he answers the question. That is verifiable also.

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pakitup is right

In 1965:
JULY 25 - Waived QB Tom Singleton, QB Jim Van Gordon, HB Tellis Ellis, FB John Putman (14th round), K Steve Clark (17th round), G Ken Burke and T Ernie Smith on waivers (66 players on roster).

Members online

Latest posts