Neal activated: Merling cut

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not altogether sure about this. Did Merling show any capability up til now?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm. I thought Boykin would have gotten the cut. Interesting.

I wonder where Merling goes from here. Time might have run out for a former #32 selection.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember if Mike Neal actually ever tackled anyone or made any kind of play back before he was hurt. Let's hope he steps it up when he is back on the field.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Merling was obviously nothing special - I really thought they'd keep Muir instead of him, but Muir is more of a NT in the Packers scheme and Merling a DE and they already had two NTs.

Neal definitely showed promise before he got hurt as a rookie. He was the strongest player on the team and showed some in-line quickness. He got injured in TC his rookie season, missed the first three games and then played in two before getting hurt again. In those two games he had 5 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble behind the LOS. If he is 100% healthy he’s got a chance to be disruptive as a nickel pass rusher and from DE in the base. If all the injuries have reduced his quickness, he’ll just be a really strong DL.

By replacing Merling with Neal, they keep 6 DL – with all the snaps in nickel and dime it doesn’t make sense to keep an extra DL unless #7 has potential. And Jennings continuing injuries, the probability he and Driver will be gone next season probably keep Boykin on the roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just so my previous post isn't misunderstood, I don't expect the Neal of his rookie year's potential will show up today or anytime soon. He had a chance to be a great compliment to Raji as one of the two down linemen in the nickel and a rock at DE in the base. Regarding Wilson I don't think he's going anywhere this season. I was extremely disappointed in his play last season but he looks improved to me. Ideally he'd be a rotational/backup guy and I hope Neal can take over as the starter at DE. Just like with Hawk, IMO it's best not to let previous evaluations affect our current view of players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts