NE Hill's body found

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from NFL.com

Patriots' Hill dead at 24 after jetski mishap Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

NEW ORLEANS (May 28, 2007) -- The body of New England Patriots player Marquise Hill was found a day after he was reported missing following a jet ski accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

Hill's body was discovered by searchers about a quarter of a mile from where the 24-year-old former LSU star and a female companion were involved in the accident, Capt. Brian Clark of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department said.

"We have suffered a stunning and tragic loss," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a written statement. "Marquise will be remembered as a thoughtful and caring young man who established himself as one of the year-round daily fixtures of our team. I send my deepest condolences to the Hill family."

The Coast Guard was called the night of May 27, Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said. The search began immediately, using boats and helicopters.

By the time the body was found, the Coast Guard, Wildlife and Fisheries, the New Orleans Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department were involved, Clark said.

Loved ones including Hill's fiancee, Inell Benn, and friends, including Patriots teammate Randall Gay, waited anxiously along the shoreline as the search went on. They consoled one another when authorities told them Hill had been found dead.

"Right now's a terrible time," Benn said. "I don't know what to feel right now."

Gay, who also played with Hill at LSU, had planned to spend the holiday weekend in Baton Rouge, but drove to New Orleans to monitor the search.

"Knowing that I have to go back to work and go look at his locker this week, it's tough," Gay said.

Hill's body was taken to the Orleans Parish Coroner's office, but phone messages left there and on coroner Frank Minyard's cell phone were not immediately returned.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were jet skiing in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current.

Authorities said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last seen floating away from the scene.

Hill played on LSU's BCS championship team and was a second-round draft pick by New England in 2004. Hill had yet to start for the Patriots, playing in 13 games in his NFL career.

"We are absolutely heartbroken," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement. "Marquise was a very respectful young man who worked hard to improve and was always eager to contribute to the team, both on the field and in the community."

The woman, whose identity was not available, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill, a defensive end, spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping rebuild the homes of family members including his mother, Sherry, and the mother of his 2-year-old son.

"From what I hear he's done a lot to help with things after Katrina and I know he had a great passion for the city of New Orleans," said former LSU quarterback Matt Mauck, who was Hill's teammate at LSU. "Off field he was a really kind person, kind of like a gentle giant. And not only for LSU, but for New England and everyone who got chance to meet him throughout his life, everyone has to be extremely saddened and disappointed to hear the news."

After going to the NFL, Hill continued to do much of his offseason training at LSU's Baton Rouge campus, about 80 miles up the Mississippi River from New Orleans, and was known and admired by current Tigers players, university athletics spokesman Michael Bonnette said.

"His presence meant a lot for some of the younger guys. He gave them someone to look up to and he was always there for them," Bonnette said. "Here's a 6-foot-6, 300-pound guy, as intimidating as can be, and yet every time you approached him he always welcomed you with big old smile. In between the lines, he had his game-face on, but outside the lines, in the community or in the weight room, he was always smiling and having good time."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Unbelieveable... Hill's mother robbed while at funeral

Sometimes you read things that just blow you away; just how awful some people in the human race can be... plain sickening if you ask me. :jumpflame:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/06/05/bc.fbn.hill.funeral.ap/index.html

Police believe burglary occurred during ceremony
Posted: Tuesday June 5, 2007 8:12PM; Updated: Wednesday June 6, 2007 7:28PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- About $16,000 worth of belongings was reported stolen from the home of the late Marquise Hill's mother while she was at the funeral for her son, a New England Patriots lineman who drowned last week, police said Wednesday.

No suspects have been identified in Saturday's burglary at the eastern New Orleans home of Sherry Hill, who told police that she left for her son's funeral at 10:45 a.m. and discovered the break-in when she returned around 5:45 p.m.

"It's an open case," said New Orleans Police Department spokesman Garry Flot. "We don't know who did it."

A telephone call to Sherry Hill was not answered.

Flot said a laptop and a television were among the stolen items. A rear bedroom window was apparently pried open.

"Everybody knew his funeral was on that date," Flot said of Hill, a former LSU star who played sparingly for the Patriots.

On Tuesday, another police spokesman indicated that investigators had identified a suspect but Flot said that was not the case. "We are working leads," he said, "but no arrest warrants have been issued and no one has been arrested."

Hill's family, friends and teammates gathered in New Orleans for his funeral Saturday, nearly a week after he drowned in a personal watercraft accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

Besides his mother, Hill, 24, is survived by his fiancee Inell Benn and his 2-year-old son Mashy.

Hill, who helped relatives rebuild in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, was home for Memorial Day weekend. He and a female friend went for a ride on the watercraft without life vests and fell into the water. The woman survived, but Hill drowned in an area of swirling currents.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Unbelieveable... Hill's mother robbed while at funeral

Thats why the Milwaukee Journal stopped putting addresses in the obituaires in their newspaper. Thugs would go to the homes of the deceased while the funerals were going on, cause they knew no one would be there, and they would take whatever they wanted.
I hate scumbags like that.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
In case anyone wants to donate to his child... this makes me wonder whom will watch over his estate and if they are wise enough to bank money away for his child to go through school and have a decent start to life?

This was passed on by Patriots executive director of media relations Stacey James:

The Hill family has established two funds in Marquise Hill's memory. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Marquise's name to either the Ma'shy Hill Health Care and Education Fund or to the Greater St. Stephen's Full Gospel Baptist Church. Ma'shy Hill is Marquise's 20-month-old son. The address information for both funds are listed below.

Ma'shy Hill - Health Care and Education Fund
Regions Bank
8440 Jefferson Highway
1st Floor
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
225-924-9308
attn: Maureen Dunham, Private Banking

or

Greater St. Stephen's Full Gospel Baptist Church
2240 Simon Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70113
504-859-6800

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Unbelieveable... Hill's mother robbed while at funeral

Sometimes you read things that just blow you away; just how awful some people in the human race can be... plain sickening if you ask me. :jumpflame:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/06/05/bc.fbn.hill.funeral.ap/index.html

Police believe burglary occurred during ceremony
Posted: Tuesday June 5, 2007 8:12PM; Updated: Wednesday June 6, 2007 7:28PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- About $16,000 worth of belongings was reported stolen from the home of the late Marquise Hill's mother while she was at the funeral for her son, a New England Patriots lineman who drowned last week, police said Wednesday.

No suspects have been identified in Saturday's burglary at the eastern New Orleans home of Sherry Hill, who told police that she left for her son's funeral at 10:45 a.m. and discovered the break-in when she returned around 5:45 p.m.

"It's an open case," said New Orleans Police Department spokesman Garry Flot. "We don't know who did it."

A telephone call to Sherry Hill was not answered.

Flot said a laptop and a television were among the stolen items. A rear bedroom window was apparently pried open.

"Everybody knew his funeral was on that date," Flot said of Hill, a former LSU star who played sparingly for the Patriots.

On Tuesday, another police spokesman indicated that investigators had identified a suspect but Flot said that was not the case. "We are working leads," he said, "but no arrest warrants have been issued and no one has been arrested."

Hill's family, friends and teammates gathered in New Orleans for his funeral Saturday, nearly a week after he drowned in a personal watercraft accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

Besides his mother, Hill, 24, is survived by his fiancee Inell Benn and his 2-year-old son Mashy.

Hill, who helped relatives rebuild in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, was home for Memorial Day weekend. He and a female friend went for a ride on the watercraft without life vests and fell into the water. The woman survived, but Hill drowned in an area of swirling currents.

Thats sick. :rubeyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts