Name: Nate Allen
College: South Florida Number: 5
Height: 6-1 Weight: 205
Position: FS Pos2: SS
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2010
40 Time: 4.50 40 Low: 4.40 40 High: 4.59
Projected Round: 2 Stock: High: Early2 Low: 3-4
Rated number 3 out of 133 FS's
I unfortunately didn't find a proper video of his senior season.
DraftCountdown:
Strengths:
A smooth athlete --- Good height with a chiseled physique --- Excellent range --- Outstanding instincts --- Great hands and ball skills --- Fluid hips --- Nice body control --- Excels in zone coverage --- Technically sound --- Closes fast --- Tough --- Physical --- Reliable tackler --- Great motor --- Smart --- Hard worker --- A lot of experience --- Team leader.

Weaknesses:
Frame is maxed out --- Pure speed is just average --- Struggles when asked to match up with wideouts in man coverage --- Plays too tall at times --- Isn't a real big hitter --- Not very quick or explosive --- Upside?

Would imo be a really nice pick-up in the 2nd round, especially if we somehow get two 2nd round picks. He is kind of overlooked and was rocksolid in Mobile but nobody jumped on his bandwaggon yet, which is not to bad at all.
And for all those, who say we are set at FS, I found a really nice article in the blogosphere concerning our safety-situation and Nate Allen, who should make Nick Collins and our secondary better by any means:
It's time to bring in the next Eugene Robinson. The Packers need a free safety. A real free safety.

Oh, I know your former-linebacker mentality. You love having tough, strong, interchangeable safeties back there. Bigby, Rouse, Bush, Manuel...all strong-nosed guys who can hit hard and can be a force in run support, but don't have that knack for seeing the whole field and struggle in coverage. Nick Collins is another one in that mold, but he's managed to do a serviceable job at free safety over the past two years.

But you know that Collins is miscast. Oh, sure, he makes a ton of great plays, but one out of every ten plays or so, he makes a gaffe that's glaring and costly, and invariably, they are the kind of plays that a good FS needs to be able to make. Maybe it is taking the best angle to the ball, choosing the right route to play over-the-top in coverage, seeing the decoy routes and picking the right receiver to cover.
Here is the whole article.

OP
OP
A

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think C.D. was wide right in this one.

Name ONE big play Collins allowed THIS YEAR. Last year, he allowed tons. Not this year.
But wouldn't you think he is a better fit at SS, just based on the way he plays? And a guy, besides Charles "MVP" Woodson, who can read the offense wouldn't be to bad either, and should fix parts of our secondary problems. But maybe you're right, and this is not a "2nd-round need" and we should go for Myron Rolle, who has some similarities to Allen, in the third.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not talking about Allen per say, but more about Nick Collins... I don't think Collins is a hitter, so I don't envision him at the SS. And Charles Woodson should be allowed to roam, but he shouldn't be a S. He played some games mainly as a Safety in 2008 and was so-so; more importantly, we missed him at CB.

I think Woodson should be allowed, like he did this year when Harris was in, to roam as S, as blitzer, as shutdown corner...
-
As far as the need, we need a SS, not a FS. We need backup at FS and SS, but wouldn't want to waste a 2nd rounder for a backup...
-
And regardig Nate Allen, I don't remember him playing, so I can't really say much.

Members online

No members online now.