My thoughts on what TT should do in offseason.

Dulak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
1)Tell McCarthy it's the playoffs next year or the highway.
2)Hire Winston Moss as D coordinator, with a new defensive scheme.
3)Tell McCarthy to get rid of zone blocking scheme. Need larger offensive linemen.
4)Tell McCarthy no more candy-assing the players. Pads and outside once a week minimum.
5)Find FA's to help instill "toughness", especially in the D-Line and linebackers.
6)Find a d-lineman in round one capable of a pass rush and starting from day one.
7)Send Brohm to anyone like Al Davis.
8)Tell A.J. Hawk to get to the Pro Bowl or be gone.
9)Tell Harrell to get to the Pro Bowl or be gone.
10)Cut Poppinga, start Chillar and sign at least one linebacker.
11)Put Woodson back at corner and look for a true veteran safety. Cut Bigby.
12)Tell Barnett to get to the Pro Bowl or be gone.
13)Tell Grant to get to the Pro Bowl or be gone.
14)Tell Donald Lee to get to the Pro Bowl or be gone.
15)Rely more on free agents than the draft this year to infuse toughness and leadership.
16)Move Spitz to center, Wells to backup, Sitton to start. Then draft a LT. 17)Cut Tauscher.Look for RT, either on team or FA.
18)Leave Rodgers alone.

There's more, but that will do for now.

actually some good suggestions here; although like the poster said a bit unresonable

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Dulak said:
IMO the pack did really well this year ... and I really like McCarthy as a coach (much better then holmgren).

I like everything you had to say except this part; showing glimmers of decent play is okay but without the wins one could hardly say we did "really well." :rofl:

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Killazach said:
Can I get a list of names to look up for college players that will be in the draft next year for DT and DE. I don't really keep up with college football and I want to see who would be a better choice, Peppers or Haynesworth.

fink101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
throw as much money at hanyesworth as you can to get him then pick up another outside linebacker in the first round trade poppinga for second day draft pick, keep rodgers he will be a great qb in the future tell mm to stop calling the plays, get rid of the zone blocking scheme and start power running the football again as much as i hate to say it at least sherman had a great running game, fire bob sanders as well as our db coach k. shotty get the assistant dc from the giants and our defense will be top 10 by week 8 next year

fink101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or pickup terrance cody from alabama with both second round picks get another corner and outside linebacker with the 3rd rounder pick up a safety

gman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al harris has to go. We need a better qb than aaron rodgers. He isn't getting the job done to the best of the team's ability. NEW STARTING QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!! a first pick right out of colledge would be nice.

OP
OP
T

Twizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gman said:
Al harris has to go. We need a better qb than aaron rodgers. He isn't getting the job done to the best of the team's ability. NEW STARTING QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!! a first pick right out of colledge would be nice.

Wow. Except for comming up short in a couple of 4th quarter come back i think rodgers is doing great fro his first year. Yea he has thrown some picks but fro the most part, only after the defense failed to make a stop and he thinking the games rests on his shoulder.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
gman said:

If you're serious then you're mental...

fink101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rogers has better stats then farve at this point, y would you want to get rid of him this biggest failure right now is the O line and D line, improve those to areas we would be a totally different team O line barely gives rogers 3-4 seconds most lines give there qb at least 5, and defensively if the packers had rushed the qb better we probly would be in the playoffs right now all 6 of those losses we were ahead in the fourth and the defense couldnt hold up FIRE bob sanders and curt shotty, and MIKE stock lost two games because of special teams alone

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fink101 said:
rogers has better stats then farve at this point, y would you want to get rid of him this biggest failure right now is the O line and D line, improve those to areas we would be a totally different team O line barely gives rogers 3-4 seconds most lines give there qb at least 5, and defensively if the packers had rushed the qb better we probably would be in the playoffs right now all 6 of those losses we were ahead in the fourth and the defense couldn't hold up FIRE bob sanders and curt shotty, and MIKE stock lost two games because of special teams alone

Now don't go bringing any of that "truth" stuff in here, you'll only ruin it for the dreamers.

LindyChop

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wizard 87 said:
Twizz said:
I have been thinking over the past couple weeks about the upcoming off season and the draft. I have a couple of ideas that I would think that would help this team to become better in the end

1. Al Harris needs to go. I have no clue what the hell is going on in our secondary right now. Why didn't we stay with what was working? Charles woodson on one side and Tramon Williams. Al harris comes back and it messes up the chemistry.

2. Defensive Line. Why did we give up Cory Williams? We needed him! I know he wanted a good amount of money, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay up.

3. Bob Sanders needs to go! He was good but I think opposing offensives have figured out his style. I think we need to look into getting a good replacement for him

Although we do need offensive line help, I think we can still go deep in the playoffs with the people we have, maybe with a few minor changes. This is my first time posting something this big so be easy on my guys and let me know what u think

Couple thoughts...Al Harris is not the issue..no pass rush is. Re watch old Tramon last week bro ..Texans lit him up 4 times and he had 5 count them 5 missed tackles. Al Harris gave up 2 count them 2 pass against 18 defensed. Al Stays
Corey Williams has done squat with the Browns...you want him back why????
You hit the nail on the head with Bob Sanders....his no pressure vanilla scheme is making guys like Al Harris look bad. We need a new coordinator and some better defensive ends.

We need help in the D-Line indeed. We also need a coordinator who will manufacture pressure other than with his front 4 when he has no pass rush threat. Cory Williams should've been paid. He's not performing well in Cleveland because he's not a 3-4 2 gap 2 End. He's a Shade player in a 4 front period. If we get the likes of Leon Lett and Charles Haley, then we can keep Sanders and the vanilla Miami 4-3 with 1/4s coverage but last I checked, both were retired. We need someone along the lines of a Rex Ryan, Gregg Williams guy. Fritz Shurmer got tagged as "no-blitz Fritz" but he hardly had to with Reggie White, Gilbert Brown, Dotson and Jones. Bottom line...if you can pressure with 4 do it, if you can't then you send 5 and if not 5 then you have to sometimes send 6. It's all about getting pressure to move the QB off of the spot.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gman said:

Rodgers - 1st round pick
Brohm - 2nd round pick

I think the Packers used enough high picks on QB's

steelydave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Wizard, but I agree with Twizz. Al ("Worthless Al") Harris is a liability on defense. Too many stupid penalties, too often out of position, too often burned for the big play. He is possibly the most over-rated defensive back in the NFC. One would think that with his reputation that he could be traded for value, but I'm not sure that there would be many teams ready to take the risk.

In any event, the problems definitely lie on the defensive side of the ball. The line needs help (Kampmann excepted), DE position is weak, corners and safeties are iffy at best.

Those are just my opinions, and we all know what opinions are worth. This is my first post here, but I hope in time to be an accepted member here and hope that you long-timers won't be too rough on a newbie.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is not worth starters' money. He didn't do squat in Cleveland. Last year when Jolly got hurt he began to start and our pass rush disappeared. Last March before the trading deadline TT thought our D line was set so he decided to get a draft pick for a backup D linemen with some value = Williams. How could TT forsee the decline of play by Pickett and Jolly? Whe knew KGB wouldn't come back from his injury or we'd lose Jenkins for most of the season? (I blame TT for drafting Harrell big time. That young man can't get healthy. TT had better not draft another player with that kind of health history again in the first round!) It's easy to look back and criticize TT for not replacing Williams but at the time of the trade he thought he had a nice group of starters and 3 backups to spell the veterans. Unfortunately injuries and poor play by our starting DTs had our entire defense reeling this season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
Williams is not worth starters' money. He didn't do squat in Cleveland. Last year when Jolly got hurt he began to start and our pass rush disappeared. Last March before the trading deadline TT thought our D line was set so he decided to get a draft pick for a backup D linemen with some value = Williams. How could TT forsee the decline of play by Pickett and Jolly? Whe knew KGB wouldn't come back from his injury or we'd lose Jenkins for most of the season? (I blame TT for drafting Harrell big time. That young man can't get healthy. TT had better not draft another player with that kind of health history again in the first round!) It's easy to look back and criticize TT for not replacing Williams but at the time of the trade he thought he had a nice group of starters and 3 backups to spell the veterans. Unfortunately injuries and poor play by our starting DTs had our entire defense reeling this season.

I agree that Corey Williams was not worth any where near the amount of money he got from Cleveland, but TT should have known that Pickett is a Gilbert Brown type run-stuffer and Johnny Jolley works best a rotation player. Green Bay's defense was so good last year because the defensive line rotation worked. Players were able to play towards their strong suit.

Also, KGB has been declining for 3 years now. He's been too old for while now.

Reaction score
JbShell said:
much rather have haynesworth plays harder and a better teammate

Better Teamate he stomped on somebodys head ????

Id rather have Julius Peppers we need an opposite end for kampman. Instead of Montgomery
Then wed have Julius pepers on the left side then Kullen Jenkins then Johhny Jolly/Pickett Then Kampman. That sounds like a pretty nice line. We get rid of Bob sanders and we get a guy who knows how to get pressure on the qb so he has to react faster and that means more ints because thats what Nick collins and tramon likes to do cut routes . Like the giants Def Cordinatior they had all those diffrent Blitz schemes and thats how they won the supper bowl. Bob sanders Never Blitzs and he gives up the most 3rd down and long plays ive ever seen. Ted Thompson Isnt a big Free agency guy But this year he better spend some Money in the free agency. We get a New Def cordinatior Keep every body healthy. Get are d line and o line strong . We should have a great Season. With that talent on that team we should go no lower then 10 wins

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers and Haynesworth aren't going anywhere. Plus, Haynesworth was not a great player until it came time for a big payday. A lot of people think he'll drop off quickly.

My offseason wishlist is:
- Sign Jonathan Vilma: NOLA will probably let him walk as they need a lot of defensive help and won't want to invest the cash PLUS a 1st round pick (to NYJ) in him.

- Put Vilma in the middle and move Barnett to WLB. Sell Hawk to the highest bidder (maybe a 3rd rounder at this point), unless a new defensive coordinator thinks they can make him work on the strong side...

- Get either an OT or DE in round 1... we need both.

- Find a left guard. Anywhere.

- Do something with the safeties. Maybe a new coordinator can fix them... but I'm sick of seeing Collins, Bigby, Rouse, Woodson, whoever, running around lost and letting receivers get 5 yards behind them. I don't care if Collins has 10 INTs, if he gives up a TD a game it isn't worth it.

I don't see us making more than one free agent move and it's not going to be for a top 3 guy. Vilma is a difference maker in my mind and I think he'd be a big help to the defense if they can just get some new coaches. If Sanders, Moss and co get to keep running the show, we may as well just skip 2009.

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping/replacing players based on the Popularity Bowl is ludicrous.

Defensively:
- Make a serious run at Albert Haynesworth.
- Draft Brian Orakpo (DE, Texas)
- Woodson/Williams starting CBs
- Collins/Bigby starting safeties.
- Find a defensive coordinator who will get pressure on opposing QBs!

Offensively:
- Serious consideration to ditching zone blocking scheme - although the O Line may not have the size for a more traditional scheme.
- Make the #3 WR spot an open competition between Jones/Nelson.
- Give Brandon Jackson a shot at a more involved role with the team.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UncleMeat said:
Peppers and Haynesworth aren't going anywhere. Plus, Haynesworth was not a great player until it came time for a big payday. A lot of people think he'll drop off quickly.

- Sign Jonathan Vilma: NOLA will probably let him walk as they need a lot of defensive help and won't want to invest the cash PLUS a 1st round pick (to NYJ) in him.

- Put Vilma in the middle and move Barnett to WLB. Sell Hawk to the highest bidder (maybe a 3rd rounder at this point), unless a new defensive coordinator thinks they can make him work on the strong side...

- Do something with the safeties. Maybe a new coordinator can fix them... but I'm sick of seeing Collins, Bigby, Rouse, Woodson, whoever, running around lost and letting receivers get 5 yards behind them. I don't care if Collins has 10 INTs, if he gives up a TD a game it isn't worth it.

I don't see us making more than one free agent move and it's not going to be for a top 3 guy. Vilma is a difference maker in my mind and I think he'd be a big help to the defense if they can just get some new coaches. If Sanders, Moss and co get to keep running the show, we may as well just skip 2009.

I don't think we should give up so easily on A.J. I think once he gets his confidence back, and gets in a good defensive scheme, he'll be a different type of beast.
Even though he had a poorish season, he still led the D in tackles, second last year and first the year before. I still think he can do a lot of good for this organisation. And if I were MM, I'd move him to MLB, and let his blitzing capabilities to the talking.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackAttackUK said:
UncleMeat said:

I don't think we should give up so easily on A.J. I think once he gets his confidence back, and gets in a good defensive scheme, he'll be a different type of beast.
Even though he had a poorish season, he still led the D in tackles, second last year and first the year before. I still think he can do a lot of good for this organisation. And if I were MM, I'd move him to MLB, and let his blitzing capabilities to the talking.

While the scheme will likely be different, the Packers have all but assured that the new D-Coordinator will be the same guy that has been coaching the linebackers the last 3 years.

j bizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Albert Haynesworth would be a great pick up to shore up the rush defense, he also provides a pass rush up the middle that the Pack currently lacks, but I think the Titans are looking to lock him up long term. Peppers on the other hand might be possible, I'm thinking that the Panthers are in more cap trouble thatn the Titans are!! Throw some cash at Peppers and spend your fist draft pick at the top rated DL in the draft, Terrell Suggs or Bart Scott may be available from the Ravens, cause you know our linebackers are all junk!!

Members online

Latest posts