My Official Apology to Ted Thompson

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I said I'd do it, and am RIDICULOUSLY happy to do so, and here it is:

I fully admit that I was one of those irrational Ted haters who thought, three years ago, he was a tyrannical dictator taking over and pushing out my then-hero (past tense, might I emphasize) in Brett Favre. I've given him flack for not signing free agents, acting like a seemingly cold-hearted business man who only saw numbers and not emotions. I thought he was moronic and cheap for letting go key veterans and relying simply on the draft to fill crucial positions on our team.

Let me say this loud and clear: I WAS WRONG!

Ted may not always seem to have it right, but his planning attack as a GM needed faith and time that many of us were very quick to say wouldn't work. His genius took awhile to shine through, and to now be the Champions of the Football world through a season of excessive injuries with 16 players on permanent IR and tons of adversity, the brilliance has risen to the surface and has set us up for a potential dynasty in the making.

Hats off to you, Ted. You deserve all the recognition and praise for this incredible team you've assembled. Keep doing what you're doing and thank you for putting up with some of the bitter insanity that's come your way over the last 5 years. All the doubters and haters shall be silenced :)

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post, most won't have the balls to step up and admit they were wrong. Good for those that do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Way to come around Sarah!!

You personally know how much I stuck to their guns and stuck up for them...How I was ridiculed, and pushed away for believing in them..

Least now I have a little happiness to know I was right in sticking to my faith in them

Now if only a few others could see this

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubted MM and his ability to coach when the Packers get up on a team. He proved me wrong these last two games. I love that he kept throwing when they got inside the 10 on that final Packer drive. I don't care it didn't work, he put his foot on the pedal and went for the kill.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad and I were just laughing last night at ourselves, thinking back to that summer of '08 when we were both seriously considering rioting in from of Lambeau Field, thinking Ted was trying to destroy our franchise, lol. How silly we seem now. I'm ecstatic to be wrong and a little embarrassed at my short sightedness. Regardless, we're Super Bowl Champs and I'm standing in Ted's corner.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
awesome post and I too have been guilty of verbally criticizing TT and MM on their jobs, couldn't be happier in being shown I was completely wrong for saying those things the last few years....it's simply amazing to witness this...we've all witnessed greatness and this season will forever be immortalized in NFL history

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad and I were just laughing last night at ourselves, thinking back to that summer of '08 when we were both seriously considering rioting in from of Lambeau Field, thinking Ted was trying to destroy our franchise, lol. How silly we seem now. I'm ecstatic to be wrong and a little embarrassed at my short sightedness. Regardless, we're Super Bowl Champs and I'm standing in Ted's corner.

You better be, or I'll be putting you in the corner

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I have been overly critical at times on MM (not so much TT because I believed in the system and personally would cut my favorite player just to make the team a tiny bit better). MM seemed lost running two minute offenses and made terrible excuses for it. He now is a SB winning coach, and he earned it. He never lost the team and thats saying something. But I still will scream when he goes conservative on play calling or mishandles timeouts next season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that bling faith packer fans had for Favre is now in TTs corner. TT trades jennings and Grant? oh he must have a great master plan!

TT is going to get a BIG raise.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and he deserves it. TT and MM have an unlimited get out of jail free card with me now, I bet many others feel the same.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way to come around Sarah!!

You personally know how much I stuck to their guns and stuck up for them...How I was ridiculed, and pushed away for believing in them..

Least now I have a little happiness to know I was right in sticking to my faith in them

Now if only a few others could see this

You really were, Jim, the ONLY one who gave Ted the benefit of the doubt, and of course I was one of the idiots at the time who thought YOU were nuts :p lol! I give you credit for not getting trapped in tunnel vision even when we all were victims of the Favre-blinders at the time.

After Brett was ousted, I never gave up on the Pack and refused to be a Favre fan, I was a Packer fan for life. But I definitely had some cognitive dissonance issues for a good year or two when I thought Ted was the enemy and supporting the Pack, in turn, supported him. I've been skeptical for a long time and it's finally resolved itself, hallelujah :D

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said I'd do it, and am RIDICULOUSLY happy to do so, and here it is:

I fully admit that I was one of those irrational Ted haters who thought, three years ago, he was a tyrannical dictator taking over and pushing out my then-hero (past tense, might I emphasize) in Brett Favre. I've given him flack for not signing free agents, acting like a seemingly cold-hearted business man who only saw numbers and not emotions. I thought he was moronic and cheap for letting go key veterans and relying simply on the draft to fill crucial positions on our team.

Let me say this loud and clear: I WAS WRONG!

Ted may not always seem to have it right, but his planning attack as a GM needed faith and time that many of us were very quick to say wouldn't work. His genius took awhile to shine through, and to now be the Champions of the Football world through a season of excessive injuries with 16 players on permanent IR and tons of adversity, the brilliance has risen to the surface and has set us up for a potential dynasty in the making.

Hats off to you, Ted. You deserve all the recognition and praise for this incredible team you've assembled. Keep doing what you're doing and thank you for putting up with some of the bitter insanity that's come your way over the last 5 years. All the doubters and haters shall be silenced :)

You're a good person to post this.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not to try and turn this into an argument or anything, but I must make one observation. You indicated that his genius took a while to shine through. I think it would be more correct to say that it took a while for some to recognize it. To many of us, it was apparent from the get-go. And the jettison of a disgruntled, washed up Favre regardless of public opinion was proof that he placed the long-term well-being of the Packers ahead of anything else.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Great post!!!

You were not alone for sure..there were masses that were out there picketing and protesting.
Some of us even posted our disgust when all that went down on websites.
Now those sites are gone....and TT and MM have kept to their guns and proved themselves victorious!

I myself was worried more about MM abilities,.. (my armchair coaching skills have never been field tested!) But I stand before you corrected. Not just with this SB win... but all season!

I love the way the orginization and team has handled themselves these past 3 years. The Super Bowl win is the absoulte cherry on this SUNDAY!!!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Not to try and turn this into an argument or anything, but I must make one observation. You indicated that his genius took a while to shine through. I think it would be more correct to say that it took a while for some to recognize it. To many of us, it was apparent from the get-go. And the jettison of a disgruntled, washed up Favre regardless of public opinion was proof that he placed the long-term well-being of the Packers ahead of anything else.

I took it as it took it awhile to shine thru to herself not to everyone.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to get hung up on semantics, but what I meant by "shining through" was recognition. I, as a disgruntled TT basher, couldn't see the good he was trying to establish in this team. That was for me, personally. I know it was different for others, MANY felt Ted was doing the right thing back in '08 and believed in his plan. I'm saying I didn't buy into it at the time because I was naive and hypnotized by the drama that is Lord Favreh.

The Favre glasses came off after the he jumped into Purple Hell and I have not forgiven him since nor will I any time soon. The Packers have and always will be my number 1 priority, but I still doubted where Ted was taking us and promised that if he ever got us to a Super Bowl my skepticism would forever be put to rest. That day came yesterday, and I'm solidifying it today.

GoltharTheTerrible

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admittedly was one of those Ted Thompson haters too, until these last two years at least. More than happy to be proven wrong though..McCarthy and Thompson work great together and I'm a believer.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admittedly was one of those Ted Thompson haters too, until these last two years at least. More than happy to be proven wrong though..McCarthy and Thompson work great together and I'm a believer.

Yeah, I was starting to come around to him when he brought in Dom Capers and our drafted rookies over the last 2-3 years were proving to be stellar, but of course, the criticism for not getting a running back through free agency, or helping out the O-line last year when Aaron was getting sacked every minute of the day always managed to give TT a negative image in my mind. I'm done with that, he clearly knows what he's doing (that's an understatement) and I'll be quiet now :p

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit that I not only criticized TT in 2008, but way back in 2006 when he drafted A.J. Hawk. So I have a triple apology: to Thompson, to McCarthy and to Hawk. They knew what they were doing the whole time, and Hawk turned out to be a perfect "quarterback" on defense. They may not be perfect, but I want all three of them here for the remainder of their careers.

Also, I read on Twitter that Packers fans booed TT at the "Return to Titletown" celebration yesterday. Anyone who booed TT now ought to turn in their cheesehead and go get some Viking horns or something. What more do you want from the man? How many GMs could recover from what happened in 2008 and be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy 2 1/2 years later?

I just wish there was a way to congratulate TT personally. Does he have an e-mail or anything?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit that I not only criticized TT in 2008, but way back in 2006 when he drafted A.J. Hawk. So I have a triple apology: to Thompson, to McCarthy and to Hawk. They knew what they were doing the whole time, and Hawk turned out to be a perfect "quarterback" on defense. They may not be perfect, but I want all three of them here for the remainder of their careers.

Also, I read on Twitter that Packers fans booed TT at the "Return to Titletown" celebration yesterday. Anyone who booed TT now ought to turn in their cheesehead and go get some Viking horns or something. What more do you want from the man? How many GMs could recover from what happened in 2008 and be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy 2 1/2 years later?

I just wish there was a way to congratulate TT personally. Does he have an e-mail or anything?

not sure, I know Wolf did when he was GM, not sure if TT keeps of the tradition or not

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You gotta give a guy a chance, and I'm glad I had patience with Thompson.

Good guy, hands down.

Maybe this will teach everybody patience at his position. He didn't pull a 49ers and keep Alex Smith for 5 seasons.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I didn't hear any boos when I watched it on TV.

Maybe LTF can tell us what actually happened since he was there.

Members online

Latest posts