MY HQ draft 2.0

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Thought I would share this here and update it each week :

Round 1: Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
All the top OT are gone so the packers fill a need opposite Clay Matthews,
This may seem a bit low for Brandon Graham, who had an incredible Senior Bowl. Two things to consider here: First, at 6-1, Graham could struggle as a 4-3 end in the NFL, so he's a much better fit in the 3-4. And second, teams are much more hesitant to take rush linebackers now because the conversion is so unpredictable. Just look at last year's results - no one in the top 15 selections took a rush linebacker.
Another possibility is Jerry Hughes of TCU.

Round 2 Pick 1 :
Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
Packers take the best Tackle left off the board to fill a need.

Pick 2 # 63 Dexter McCluster, WR/RB, Ole Miss
Packers move up to nab McCluster and fill 3 spots on the team. It costs them a 3 and 5 this year and a 6th next year.

Round 4 : Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Packers need help at Safety and get it.

Round 5 Extra pick for Colin Cole : Zolten Mesko P Michigan - Need to solve this issue once and for all and Mesko is the answer.

Round 6: Brian Jackson CB Oklahoma A big 6'0 203 pound corner that loves to play physical ...the next Al Harris !

Round 7 :Kevin Haslem OT/OG Rutgers . More depth for the OL

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Very early in the process and it really depends on how the board falls...

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Reaction score
I think we sign a rookie free agent kicker as no one is really good enough to draft IMHO.
You could switch those 2 second round picks but remember it's all dictated by the board and the picks ahead of you.
The whole board changed after the senior bowl and will shift dramatically after the combine.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like you're predicting the pack to trade back up into the second. However I don't agree with some of the picks. I don't feel comfortable picking Brandon Graham at all. Like you said, a lot of people are skeptical about rush linebackers because of their unpredictability. But the main reason why Graham won't be our choice is because rush linebackers in the 3-4 are always the ROLB which is already Matthews' spot. So the linebacker that we would most likely get is someone who rushes but also excels in coverage. Don't let Graham's one game in the senior bowl fool you. It's one game and it shouldn't overshadow some of his flaws in the regular season. He has hardly dropped back into coverage and it'll take at least 1 more season for him to learn.

Another thing, I don't believe all the OT's will be taken in the 1st. Rather a lot of them will slide down to the second like Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell. If the pack gets the 1st pick in the 2nd round how do they possibly pass up on either of them for Kyle Calloway? And even if they don't get either OT's there are a bunch of other gifted prospects available: Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones, Kyle Wilson may fall to the second, Perrish Cox, Ricky Sapp.

And lastly Dexter Mcculster is someone who the Packers are looking to get in the form of a luxury pick rather than an immediate need. I know we badly need a returner but there are plenty of them which can be found later in the draft. I'm sorry if I'm being too critical but that is just my two cents. I do agree though that Rolle in the later parts of the draft would be a steal. He might even be a quality starter for us.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
McCluster's a home run if they get him there.

Was Myron Rolle the Rhodes Scholar guy for Florida State? Smart dude if he was.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCluster's a home run if they get him there.

Was Myron Rolle the Rhodes Scholar guy for Florida State? Smart dude if he was.

Yes that is him, he is working out with the guy that I like (McFadden), with Coach Shaw.

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Reaction score
Looks like you're predicting the pack to trade back up into the second. However I don't agree with some of the picks. I don't feel comfortable picking Brandon Graham at all. Like you said, a lot of people are skeptical about rush linebackers because of their unpredictability. But the main reason why Graham won't be our choice is because rush linebackers in the 3-4 are always the ROLB which is already Matthews' spot. So the linebacker that we would most likely get is someone who rushes but also excels in coverage. Don't let Graham's one game in the senior bowl fool you. It's one game and it shouldn't overshadow some of his flaws in the regular season. He has hardly dropped back into coverage and it'll take at least 1 more season for him to learn.

Another thing, I don't believe all the OT's will be taken in the 1st. Rather a lot of them will slide down to the second like Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell. If the pack gets the 1st pick in the 2nd round how do they possibly pass up on either of them for Kyle Calloway? And even if they don't get either OT's there are a bunch of other gifted prospects available: Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones, Kyle Wilson may fall to the second, Perrish Cox, Ricky Sapp.

And lastly Dexter Mcculster is someone who the Packers are looking to get in the form of a luxury pick rather than an immediate need. I know we badly need a returner but there are plenty of them which can be found later in the draft. I'm sorry if I'm being too critical but that is just my two cents. I do agree though that Rolle in the later parts of the draft would be a steal. He might even be a quality starter for us.

Nope love the feedback. Keep in mind that Mcculster can also be are 3rd down back and a 5th wide out in the slot. TT loves guys that can multi task so the pick is a great value( remember that word )
Right now there is a big push on tackles and that could and more then likely change. Watch my updates !

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope love the feedback. Keep in mind that Mcculster can also be are 3rd down back and a 5th wide out in the slot. TT loves guys that can multi task so the pick is a great value( remember that word )
Right now there is a big push on tackles and that could and more then likely change. Watch my updates !

Thanks for the reception man, hardly anyone takes the time to make a concise mock draft for the pack. I agree about mccluster's versatility, which is exactly why Javier Arenas is also becoming more and more like a possibility for the pack. Looking forward to the updates.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the reception man, hardly anyone takes the time to make a concise mock draft for the pack. I agree about mccluster's versatility, which is exactly why Javier Arenas is also becoming more and more like a possibility for the pack. Looking forward to the updates.

NY are you saying you want Arenas based on talent, or you just don't think McCluster will be available still? I really think that McCluster would be a more valuable do tool for the Pack. The DB class seems to be a lot deeper then the running backs. Plus McCluster would meet two needs for the Pack.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^I agree. I'm not sure about McCluster on the 2nd, but if I'm to choose between one, I'd take him over Arenas.

If I had to choose between McCluster on the 2nd and Arenas on the 3rd, however, I'd stick with the latter.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NY are you saying you want Arenas based on talent, or you just don't think McCluster will be available still? I really think that McCluster would be a more valuable do tool for the Pack. The DB class seems to be a lot deeper then the running backs. Plus McCluster would meet two needs for the Pack.

Actually its based on both but I think I would also take Mccluster over Arenas. I only suggested Arenas because like Mccluster he can also play two positions: CB and PR/KR. Arenas would some a bit more attractive since a CB is more a need for our team than RB/WR. However judging by overal talent and value I would still choose Mccluster. Arenas can play don't get me wrong but I think there are more options for CB later on.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read ya.... I wasn't trying to knock you, just wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. I kind of started out really wanting Arenas, but I don't love his height...

I honestly think that our needs lie elsewhere... but I know how TT drafts. I am really excited about this draft though, I think this could be the one that gets us to the bowl... if we draft right.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read ya.... I wasn't trying to knock you, just wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. I kind of started out really wanting Arenas, but I don't love his height...

I honestly think that our needs lie elsewhere... but I know how TT drafts. I am really excited about this draft though, I think this could be the one that gets us to the bowl... if we draft right.
Last years' was a great one. I think we had possibly the better draft of all teams. Well, the Jets may have had a better one, but not by much.

But we have some questionable decisions to overcome (Harrell, Brohm, Hawk in the 5th...).

Another great draft IMHO would solidify us as contenders.

Woodson4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we draft a corner i like Wilson from Boise a lot better and i feel we will need a corner soon better than later since harris and woodson both aren't getting any younger. I think he is a physical player and also could help in the return game instead of Jordy Nelson.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed most of the picks in this draft, I do however believe we can get a better OT than Calloway, hopefully some will fall to us such as Campbell or the OT from USC. Also we NEED a corner and need one big. We cannot rely on the always hurt Will Blackmon and the complete unknown commodity that is Lee, don't get me wrong, I like both of these players, but we just cant rely on them. Corners I am interested in include Kyle Wilson (Boise), Brandon Ghee (Wake Forest), Syd'Quan Thompson (Cal), and Perrish Cox (Oklahoma State), mostly because he is great at kick and punt returns and can cover some. Personally I might even take two corners seeing as how we had to rely on some guys name Bell and Ford towards the end of the season, and Ford blew that pittsburgh game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts