1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My ghost story.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raptorman, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +761 / 22 / -11
    First let me say this. I never believed in ghosts, didn't not believe in them either. I was on the fence, they could or could not exist. What happened to me between 1988 and 1994 changed my mind.

In 1988 I was leaving active duty Air Force and getting married. My wife and I rented a home in Arlington VA. The owners were moving to SC and so we would rent it from them for the next 6 years. They had purchased the house from the estate of the man how owned previously. He had lived in he house for 30+ years. The house was built in 1947, it was center stair colonial style. You walked in the front door and the stairs going up to the second floor were right in front of you. To the right was the living room, the left, the dinning room. The front wall of the living room had a fire place with a nice wood mantel. It was about 5 feet from the front door. A very convenient place to put your car keys. Since we almost always came in the front door, that is were the keys would be put. They however would not stay there. On the back wall of the living room was a set of built in bookshelves.

Every once in a while when leaving for work I would find my car keys on the back shelf. Now, I am a person of consistency if nothing else. I put things in the same place all the time. My car keys were always put on the fireplace mantel. Now, I thought my wife was just messing with me. So I figured the best way to get her back is to say nothing. Then one day she came out and asked me why I kept moving her keys to the bookshelves. So both of our sets of keys were being moved.

When you went up the stairs there were three bedrooms upstairs. One straight forward from the stairs, the master to the right, and to the left in front the third bedroom. The main bathroom was to the left of the top of the stairs, between the two secondary bedrooms. The master had a small bath that just had a sink and toilet. During the summer there were several occasion in the middle of the night were the main bathroom door or the master bathroom would slam shut. We wrote this off as the wind shutting the doors. Then during the winter the doors would continue to slam shut. With no windows open.

Now, several times during the first two years, my wife would wake me up in the middle of the night and claim she had seen a man in our bedroom. Usually by the door. Our head of our bed was on the same wall as the door to the bedroom, I slept on the side of the bed closest to the door, she was on the side next to the front window. I always just blew her off saying she was dreaming. Then one night, just after going to bed late one night, she elbowed me and I saw her finger above my face pointing toward the bedroom door. There was a man standing there. "HOLY ****!" I said aloud and he was gone. Needless to say my heart was pumping and my wife explained that was the man she had been seeing. Over the course of the next 6 months I saw him two more times. Once standing at the foot of the bed looking at the two of us, and the last time, standing on my wife's side looking down at her. He was dressed wearing blue slacks, a white long sleeve shirt and a red vest. And after discussing with the long time neighbors, I found out that the previous owner would wear those clothes to work every day. We then found out he had died in the room we were sleeping in.

What we did was talk to him, told him he was welcome to stay but to please stop slamming the doors at night. He did. He would close them slowly, and of course they squeaked when he did. We just laughed it off. About a year after we had moved out I was back in the neighborhood talking to some friends when I meet the new owners of the house. A young couple with a child of about 3. I asked them if they had seen the ghost. The lady was surprised, so I described him for her. Needless to say she got goose bumps. Her 3 year old kept telling her of a man he was seeing and talking to at night. Dressed like my ghost. And then I asked her if their keys ever moved or the bathroom doors would shut. She said yes. She thought she was just not remembering were she put her keys. Last I heard, they lived there for about 10 years. Anyway, that was my first ghost encounter.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,302 / 35 / -83
    Packer Fan Since:
    Did you feel threatened by his presence ?? I stayed in a house one owned by an old lady whose husband had died in the house. My fiance at the time was staying next door with Christian friends who did not want us sleeping together before we were married, and we respected their beliefs. Mrs White, the lady told me all about Mr White and how he always looked after her. I swear that I heard him in my room one night, and in the morning a chair which had been pointing towards the window, was turned towards the bed.
    After that, every night as I had to enter the room with my back to the bed, (long story), I always said "Good evening Mr White !" as I was convinced he would be sitting there.
    The strange thing was I felt so comfortable in the house. Some people can say that a house can feel warm and welcoming as if you are at home. That was how this place felt. I believed then and now that Mr White visited me that night to see who I was and if I was a threat to his wife who was like my grandmother. When I told my future wife, she wouldn`t even come into the house to help me pack, she was so freaked out......lol
  3. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +761 / 22 / -11
    No fear. He wasn't that type of ghost. He was just hanging around his old house. Another time my current wife and I, (the first story is from my second marriage) went to a house were a friend of ours was staying. It was his friends house and his friends mother still lived there. She was showing us the house when in one room I felt a cold presence flow through me from left to right, my wife was standing to my right and she felt the same thing. Funny thing is the owner, the mother was to her right, and she felt it and is stopped around her. The next words out of my wife's mouth were, "did someone die in here?" I thought the same thing. The mother said no, but that was the room that her husband had spent the last 6 months of his life before he died of cancer. She told us she gets cold every time she enters the room.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,355 / 74 / -394
    Packer Fan Since:
    Did you have any type of pets? Dogs normally can sense them and will go into defense mode, cats can sense too and will normally hiss or become violent with the claws.
  5. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,302 / 35 / -83
    Packer Fan Since:
    Osh mentioning pets reminded me of a really weird incident when I worked at a local geriatric hospital years ago.
    I was on night duty in the old porter lodge in a century old hospital one night. We had a stray dog who lived in the lodge as the hospital dog. Everybody loved her, and she lived there for years. The porters lodge was quite isolated from the rest of the hospital, and could be, and was quite scary at times, but we were locked in, so quite cosy.
    One night, the dog woke up from a deep sleep, and suddenly stood growling, looking into one particular part of the room constantly for about 20 minutes...It scared the crap out of me as I couldn`t see anything that was upsetting her. Suddenly she stopped and went to her bed and went back to sleep.
    I was unnerved and couldn`t settle. Later on, I turned on the T.V. and it was all over the news about a big earthquake in San Francisco, which timed perfectly with the strange behaviour of the dog. Did she pick up the vibrations of the quake ?? I honestly couldn`t say, but it was one of the strangest things I`ve ever seen in my life.
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,355 / 74 / -394
    Packer Fan Since:
    Hmmmm..... doubt the dog could sense an earthquake from SF to england......she most likely was just an old crazy dog, or she sensed a presense and went into defense mode.
  7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 55 / -16
    Cool story!
    Now when you talked to him, did you see him or just talk aloud in the house even if you didn't see him?
    And were you in the bedroom when you did?

Did you even think of contacting this guy to help you out?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +761 / 22 / -11
    We just talked out loud one night after he slammed the bathroom door. No matter what I did, that door always squeaked when it was closed slowly.
  9. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +761 / 22 / -11
    We had a cat and a dog, and yes they did seem to sense his presence. However since animals take on the characteristics of their owners, they were very laid back pets. :)
  10. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 55 / -16
    I take it that means that you tried WD-40 or oiling the hinges.
    Very interesting.
  11. Bignutz

Bignutz I'm a victim of coicumstances!

Ratings:
    +38 / 3 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
  12. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,302 / 35 / -83
    Packer Fan Since:
    You do have my type of humor.....lol
  13. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 55 / -16
    Actually I wasn't joking this time.
    I was clarifying what he meant.
  14. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,302 / 35 / -83
    Packer Fan Since:
    d'oh
  15. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +203 / 12 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    So get this, a year and a half ago my wife and I move into an apartment. It had just been remodeled with new carpeting, new flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, new appliances... you name it, it was new. She was dead set on getting THIS apartment and NOT the one that was also available, but not scheduled to be remodeled. Well, we got the one she wanted. Oh, and just keep in mind that this apartment complex is privately owned and not part of a chain or a property management group.

Well we move in and get settled. A few days go by and my wife starts telling me of some weird happenings going on in the apartment. I tell her that since we are so new to this complex we don't know the "normal sounds" associated with it. Maybe the building settles a certain way, neighbors may make certain noises (we live upstairs mind you...), etc etc. She keep bugging me about these sounds and what not she is hearing.

Now, I personally do believe in ghosts and what not.... there is definitely good and bad mojo out there. Not necessarily angels and demons... but good and bad. Especially after seeing some of the stuff the Ghost Adventures crew has caught you just can't argue that there is some sort of after life or spiritual plain of existence.

Now then, she would tell me she was seeing "shadow figures" out of the corner of her eyes, and we would hear dishes suddenly clank in the kitchen, small stuff like that. Well one day I was making some small talk with the on-site manager and I mentioned that we had been hearing weird things and I asked if he believed in that sort of thing. He got sort of uneasy but also excited at the same time. He said that he and his wife DO believe in ghosts and then (and I can't remember his exact words.) but he mentioned an incident or something. Whatever his exact words were hinted at there being a death in our apartment and some point in time. Well I told my wife and our room mate (we no longer have a room mate, but she was there for a year.) and the room mate starts doing some research. This was maybe 2 months at MOST after we moved in, and we were getting mail for the former tenant, Gary. It was mostly democrat.org (ewww) mail as it was July of 2012 and the elections were right around the corner.

I don't know about the 49 other states, but in California you MUST disclose any and all deaths that have occured at a residence for the last 3 years if a new homeowner or tenant is moving into a residence. Well Sherman, our manager, did not do so. Not only did we find out that someone DID die in our apartment but he died within 3 months of us moving in! His name was Gary Greb, the name on the mail! That explained why were getting so much mail of his!

We adressed Gary aloud and asked him to please stop scaring my wife. Ever since then it has been mostly quiet. However, one time my wife was in the shower and I was in the kitchen and I SWORE I saw someone walk part the kitchen wall toward the front door. I popped out of the kitchen, looked at the door, looked back at the bathroom and started walking towards it as I could no longer hear the shower running. My thought was my wife finished her shower and went outside for some reason, but I wanted to make sure she wasn't in the bathroom. As I was nearing the bathroom door, the door opened and my wife popped out. It wasn't my wife who walked past the kitchen,

Further more just 2 weeks ago my wife caught our kitchen like flikkering like a crazed firefly. It had never done tha before, and has not done it since. The light is on a dimmer switch, but my wife noticed the flickering while sitting on our couch and seeing the light on the TV screen. She recorded it on her phone. I will see if I can upload it for you guys. In the video you can hear her asking Gary to stop and also yelling for me, but I was pooping in the bathroom so I was kinda stuck ya know =/.

Oh, here are some links!

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Gary-B-Greb/Chico-CA/321zanf

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=157722938

Woodchipper can validate this as my address as he just asked me for it because he is sending out a trophy for the Fantasy Football championship.
  16. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 77 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I have a great niece who is 4..

There have been times where her mom has told us that she talks to her one grandfather and calls him by name ( someone she has never met)

So..

My dad passes away (her great grandfather) and after a few weeks, her mom tells me a story..

She hers her daughter playing in her room and talking..She says who are you talking to...she says Grandpa Jack (my dad) and the name of the other grandfather..she says they are fighting over who gets to play with her..

A few weeks later, she tells us Grandpa Jack he has all sort of friends with him...She mentions Pat is with him...When I ask who is Pat she says a man with little hair..Pat is a good neighbor of my dad's that passed away in 1986

She then says Grandpa Jack is with his brother..I know my dad never had a brother, however he had a cousin he grew up with that he would say is like a brother to him..

This cousin passed away in 2003..
  17. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +203 / 12 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    ^^^ That is crazy story, very creepy AND cool. Good to know it is a "friendly haunting."
  18. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +761 / 22 / -11
    I believe kids have a more open mind and at times when they talk about their "imaginary" friends what they are really talking about is ghosts that they see. I know several times my son has talked about my wife's mother coming to talk to him. And she has been dead for 5 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +871 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    My father in law died when my daughter was a few months old. He would "visit" and tell her stories about until she was old enough to start school. She recognized him from picture albums and would point to where in her room he would sit. I recall my older sons telling about a lady that would read them bedtime stories also. I like to think it was my mom who died when I was in high school. Our house was residence for a baby that would continuously cry. I worked night shift at the time and heard it alot when I'd be trying to get to sleep during the day. Wondered several times why my wife was neglecting our son and letting him cry. She thought the same thing when she came out of the shower and I was watching the boy. She asked what he was crying about when he was just sitting quietly playing.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +378 / 29 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    I've never encountered a ghost but I do believe in them