My defense of Favre

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've stated on this forum before, I like to listen to "In the Herd" in the mornings on my way to work. Colin Cowherd is witty, and usually right on, but over the past several weeks he has been bashing Favre every chance he's gotten. He constantly makes comparisons to Vick and claims that Packer fans are the leagues biggest hypocrites and are "hero Worshippers". I think that's true for some, but unfair to lump everyone into that category. Here is the email I sent him.

How do you not see what is going on with Favre and Packer fans? This is a team that is owned by the fans and the community. Have you ever been to Green Bay on a Sunday? Or even seen a Packer playoff game on t.v.? They always show how the city streets are completely deserted because everyone is either at the game or watching it at home.

Favre is a guy that has fought through personal hardships (especially within the past few years) and battled through countless injuries. Yet every Sunday he lines up behind center for the Packers. Why, do you ask? To keep his streak alive? To try and pass Marino in a few stat categories? No one cares least about Favre's stats than Favre. The reason he does these things is because he doesn't want to let down his teammates or the fans. Now you want the people of Wisconsin (mostly blue collar) to turn their back on him because he can't get a team loaded with NFL Europe wannabes to win? This isn't Oakland/LA where the attitude is "Just Win, Baby". Do the Packer fans want a winning team? Of course, but when we have a guy who has given his heart and soul to the Packers and their fans, it's not that easy to just say "Ahh, he's washed up. Next!". Do not mistake that for denial or hero worship, but respect for the man that had a lot to do with bringing our team back to respectability.

I realize you acknowledge that Favre has had a fantastic career. You'd be an idiot not to (who else could turn Bill Schroeder into a 1,000 yd / 9 TD receiver?). But, that's what's hypocritical on your part. You don't take the guy that turned your franchise around and made them winners for 12 years and throw him out on the street because of one perceived bad year. And I say "perceived" because just like you hate when Vick gets all the blame, Favre doesn't deserve all of the blame, either. You ramble on about Favre's turnovers even though you said you watched the game this weekend. Apparently, you were in the bathroom when Donald Lee literally stood and watched the Chicago DE run past him and obliterate Favre from his blindside, and then continued to watch from the line of scrimmage as the ball came flying out. Yep, all Favre's fault. And that's just one example. Half of his interceptions are receivers not making adjustments (the key to their passing offense) or breaking off their routes while the ball is in the air. Has Favre thrown away some games (not just this year, but throughout his whole career) by trying to make too much happen? Perhaps, but without him they wouldn't have been in position to win in the first place. Say "bunk" to that all you want, it's true.

Obviously, much of your bashing of Favre comes from your desire to "bring back the balance". You think Favre gets too much love, and Vick gets too much hate. Why do you not see that you're just playing the other role with Vick? The only thing you ever heard about Vick coming out of college was how much better he is than everyone else on the field. Maybe those that bash Vick are doing what you're doing when you bash Favre, bringing back the balance. I don't know who you talk to, but most Packer fans are very respectful of Vicks' talent. Most importantly in my argument, Packer fans DO NOT give all of the credit to Favre when they win. We constantly talk about guys like Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Nick Collins, etc. when they win and equally place blame on Favre and those guys (or whoever played poorly) when they lose. Whatever emails you get aren't an equal representation of the masses. You act like every email you get from a Packer fan is read by each and every one of us and given our stamp of approval.

Not to mention, and this might be as big a reason as any, nobody wants to see Favre go out like this. I had a Chicago Bear fan walk up to me today and say "I hope he doesn't retire because I don't want to see him end his career this way - he's too good". Call it what you want, but the last thing we want to see is Favre's legacy get tarnished and for all the reasons mentioned above, and we'll defend him to the death because we know he would do the same for us.

p.s. Do yourself a favor and pick up Favre's book "For the Record". Then you might understand why Favre is more to us than whether or not we get a win.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice letter and I am glad you took the time to write it. Brett has become one of the greatest football players of all time and besides being a future hall of famer he has shown character both on and off the field unlike that we may ever see again. Am I a Brett fan ( Your Damb right I am ) and as a "Packer Fan" I can only hope that he comes back for acleast another year because A) This team still needs him and B) I don't think he should have to finish his "legendary career" on this note. On a side note, I really believe that there are some, like the reporter above that would love to see Brett give up now as when some people feel small and insecure, they love it when they see others fail ( but that's just my opinion ). Give the Man your faith and he will be back but I am not sure he will continue to play if he does not have it. Why should he ?

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good letter! :thumbsup:
Take out the names like Donald Lee and Bill Shroeder etc. - you know how Brett hates to say anything negative about his teammates (sometimes I think, he would rather let you cut off his right thumb than bashing a single player of his team) - and then send it to him personally.
Go to his official site and post or pm it, maybe their admin tells him and maybe you get an answer from himself.
I think he understands that the Packers and their fans need and want him for at least one more year, let it only be in order not to finish a career like his with a season like this. He'd deserve it better!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. I don't think that any Packer fan wants Favre dumped like yesterdays newspaper. Some of them just want to know if Rodgers was a steal in the draft at 24th or the next Joey Harrington. That’s how I see it anyway. By the way, if Sunday was Favre's last trip to Chicago, the Bears winning while giving Favre a beating will not wash away the dominance that he had over them for so long.
:bow:

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me add my praise to the letter you wrote. I,too, am a big Favre admirer. Who else could play as well as he has in the last couple of years with all the adversities he has had. I,too, agree with the fact that he has no receivers to help him. I watched him on the news last night, and read what he said in the paper. What a great guy. He gave the Bears compliments about what a good team they are. Please, Brett, come back next year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leaper.....this may be the best thing I have read on this forum. Packer fans are split over alot of things right now (especially the coaching), but there should be NO disrespect thrown Favre's way by ANY Packer fan. You can be negative toward this team and still be a fan. You can even bash Sherman and still be a fan. Disrespect Brett Favre and you are not a "true fan" of the Green Bay Packers. If anyone wants to ask my why, I now have your letter to point them to. Thank you!

Please, for the benefit of us "out of towners"...who is this guy and how can we get an email out to him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts