MVP TALK

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Payton Manning leading his team to 5 consecutives comebacks to remain 11-0???

He was voted last year for doing something similar, and he had worse stats than he has now...

And he has a new head coach, his #2 Receiver (Marvin Harrison) isn't there anymore, and the guy that was playing for him (Antonhy Gonzalez) is also out. There's also, if I'm not mistaken, a new LT.

Anyway, as I've said, I think Favre deserves the consideration, but IMO Favre made Minnesota much better, but they would still be a very good team without him, as they won the division last year without him.

However, if you take Payton Manning out of that Colts team, there's no way that team even reaches the playoffs.

And I think, in the end, the voters will take that into consideration.

Of course, they could also look at the fact that Favre is 40, this could be his last year, and he's playing lights out.

But if I had to guess, Favre wins the comeback player of the year, Chris Johnson wins the OPoY, Jared Allen (should be Woodson, I know) wins the DPoY, Harvin wins the Rookie of the Year and Manning wins the MVP...

Minn would be good w/o Favre, but they would not be nearly as good, nor would they be legit contenders. Manning is obviously a huge assest to his team and should be in contention as well. But look at the difference in Minn between this year and last year. This year they are rolling and there is no way in this reality that they would be where they would be without Favre. Manning has led his team back a few more times, but Favre on Minn makes them the better team. W/o farve Minn is 6-5 right now, they wouldn't have beat Sf, gb, pitt, and balt. i dont see TJ making the playes in those games that would put wins on the board.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has been playing more consistent than any of the other quarterbacks he is being compared with currently ... Which is why I think the MVP will be awarded to him and not Peyton Manning ...

The only way I see an MVP to Manning at this point is if the Colts (which looks very likely aswell at this point ...) goes 16-0 while the Vikings go 13-3 ... - I don't think another loss resulting in a 14-2 season (for the Vikings) will change that ... Given who it is that will be voting on the MVP ...

I don't think it matters how many more losses Minny incurs, to the extent that they secure a first round bye.

That, coupled with Favre's stats and the fact that it would make for a compelling story would be enough for Brett to win the MVP. At worst, I'd see co-MVP for Favre.

But, as much as I love Favre, you can't ignore his history with interceptions, so we'll see.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention that back-to-back MVP awardees are too boring for the fans and the media. This could also affect whether Peyton wins the award or not.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen wont win it cuz he got 7.5 sacks vs the Pack

so he got 5 sacks in 9 games not to MVP if you ask me
I meant DPoY, and not MVP. There has, however, been talk about him being in the race for MVP. I wouldn't even consider him for DPoY, Ware got 20 sacks last season and didn't win it, but it's more because of the hype that I've said that... Might as well be Darren Sharper...
Minn would be good w/o Favre, but they would not be nearly as good, nor would they be legit contenders. Manning is obviously a huge assest to his team and should be in contention as well. But look at the difference in Minn between this year and last year. This year they are rolling and there is no way in this reality that they would be where they would be without Favre. Manning has led his team back a few more times, but Favre on Minn makes them the better team. W/o farve Minn is 6-5 right now, they wouldn't have beat Sf, gb, pitt, and balt. i dont see TJ making the playes in those games that would put wins on the board.
I've said already that Favre has elevated this team.

But my point is, take Favre off the Vikings and they're still a competitive team.

Take Manning off the Colts, and they don't even reach the playoffs..

Favre isn't the whole Vikings team, they still got Peterson. But Manning IS the Colts team AND FRANCHISE.

That's why in my opinion the voters will take into account that Manning has more implications to the Colts record, which is a better record, than Favre has on the Vikings'.

That doesn't mean Manning is playing better than Favre, but the MVP is not about playing well.

Ask Drew Brees last year.

It's much more about winning record, and percentage of the reason, on the voters mind, that a certain player has in that record...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've said already that Favre has elevated this team.

But my point is, take Favre off the Vikings and they're still a competitive team.

Take Manning off the Colts, and they don't even reach the playoffs..

Favre isn't the whole Vikings team, they still got Peterson. But Manning IS the Colts team AND FRANCHISE.

That's why in my opinion the voters will take into account that Manning has more implications to the Colts record, which is a better record, than Favre has on the Vikings'.

That doesn't mean Manning is playing better than Favre, but the MVP is not about playing well.

Ask Drew Brees last year.

It's much more about winning record, and percentage of the reason, on the voters mind, that a certain player has in that record...

Very WELL said

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

They didnt beat Pitt

But the same argument you make for Brett same EXACT thing can be said for Manning..

didnt the Colts have 5 straight games down in the 4th q that had to come back form?

Tell me Jim Sorgi could do that

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're both good, but after tonite's dismantling of the Pats at the hands of the Saints vaults Brees into the lead. I think what Brees has going for him is that he hasn't won the MVP yet.

Minnesota versus New Orleans in the NFCCG - what a matchup that would be! I think Minnesota wins 7 times outta 10 no matter where the game is played. Minnesota has enough firepower and a highly improvisational quarterback to match New Orleans point for point. Minnesota's front four will eventually get to Brees and one pick or fumble recovery could be enough for the Vikings. Granted, Bevell and Childress are no match for Sean Payton in the game-planning/play-calling department, but I don't think you can stop the Minnesota offense for more than a quarter or so. Also, Longwell is lights-out compared with Carney and Minnesota has Harvin on kick returns and Reynaud on punt returns.

The odds are this will be the matchup and it would be a monster contest.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I still give the MVP to Peyton Manning. I think he has absolutely no running game and has to do everything himself. Brees has some semblance of a running game, so that helps him out.

I can't ever remember a year with 3 QB's playing at this level. Any other year, Favre's numbers, or Manning's, or Brees' would win them the MVP maybe unanimously, this year it's a toss up.

I also wouldn't put it past the media to give it to Favre. They love him (and given the way he's played this year they love him for a very good reason).

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 2007 when Favre was playing lights out the award went to Brady because his team was undefeated. If NO runs the table history may repeat itself...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 2007 when Favre was playing lights out the award went to Brady because his team was undefeated. If NO runs the table history may repeat itself...
Brady had arguably the best performance of a QB... 50 TDS and 8 ints...

And as good as Favre was playing, this year he's playing much better...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant DPoY, and not MVP. There has, however, been talk about him being in the race for MVP. I wouldn't even consider him for DPoY, Ware got 20 sacks last season and didn't win it, but it's more because of the hype that I've said that... Might as well be Darren Sharper...

Allen still considered MVP or DPOY?

Not even CLOSE as I stated a few weeks ago..

No sacks vs Detroit, Cleveland, Arizona, Rams, Pitt, Seattle...'

He is no where near even DL of the year...He would need career games the next 4 games to move on up and get in the top spot..

Brett probably fell off the MVP race FOR NOW...

*** please pay attention for those about to pick that apart***

I am not saying he can't win it, I am saying for this WEEK he would finish at best 3rd...

Brees and Manning are probably very very close..

But I am thinking RIGHT NOW Brees runs away with it

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For all the Brett fans...

We hear and have heard all the time,all that matters is WINNING

So if Brees and Manning go 16-0, that is a no brainier using YOUR standards...

They share the MVP award case closed

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I think if the media picks Fav it's for sentimental reasons and that is all. If Fav didn't have Peterson he would have to go down field more which everyone knows opens up the interceptions. It's the Viks team as a whole that makes them dangerous. Manning or Brees should get it they are by far the leaders on their teams and without them they would be nowhere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping this up

NO losses to Tampa, does this put Drew out??

Allen?? ROFLLLLLLLL please I cant believe people even considered him

Brett?? He had losses to teams they should have won

With Indy losing to the Jets it probably puts Peyton in the drivers seat

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Phillip Rivers has emerged as a frontrunner to go with Manning.

I don't think he'll do it, but he's putting serious heat on Manning in the MVP race right now.

A legitimate case could be made for Aaron Rodgers too. I'm not going to make it, because I still think he's behind Manning, Rivers, Favre, and Brees, but a case could be made.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Phillip Rivers has emerged as a frontrunner to go with Manning.

I don't think he'll do it, but he's putting serious heat on Manning in the MVP race right now.

A legitimate case could be made for Aaron Rodgers too. I'm not going to make it, because I still think he's behind Manning, Rivers, Favre, and Brees, but a case could be made.

I dont think Rodgers would get any votes to be honest and thats fine

I forgot about Rivers...

Members online

Latest posts