Murphy said he didn't want to affect negotiations

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -
Murphy urged fans to move on as he said the Packers organization has. He said he was happy that the bargaining process was able to bring the officials back into the fold and called it a "win-win" for both sides.

"I wanted to mention the excellent job Mike McCarthy did in representing the organization the last two days," he said. "It was a difficult position to be in. I just thought he handled himself well. I have received many comments from people in the league office on how well Mike has handled himself, what a great representative he is of the organization."

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, even though I, as a fan, was quite upset, I was glad that coach McCarthy didn't handle the situation the way that Belichek had when things didn't go his was on Sunday. It seemed to me like he made himself and the Patriots look like a bunch of total idiots.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, even though I, as a fan, was quite upset, I was glad that coach McCarthy didn't handle the situation the way that Belichek had when things didn't go his was on Sunday. It seemed to me like he made himself and the Patriots look like a bunch of total idiots.

That's the great thing about being a fan; we don't have to worry about anything we say or do having a negative effect on the organization! You know he felt just like we did, but 1000 times worse. Takes a lot of character for him to stay cool.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy will be getting an ear full from me next time I see him.

I'll pull the "Harlan answered to the fans, you should get off your high horse and be more like him" card. I'm sure it will go over well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy will be getting an ear full from me next time I see him.

I'll pull the "Harlan answered to the fans, you should get off your high horse and be more like him" card. I'm sure it will go over well.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers deserves credit for having the guts to express himself over these clowns, morons and pond scum as the scab refs while ripping the NFL a new one.
(Some were hired from the Lingerie Football League. They couldn't even call a game between 2 year olds!)
Right now I respect A-Rod and even Billicheck over others who withheld.
Whatever anger and frustration is/was directed at the NFL and the scab refs is well deserved and not worthy of any blame.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers weighed in on last night's debacle in Seattle on his weekly radio show today. Among his quotes: "First of all, I've got to do something that the NFL is not going to do, and I have to apologize to the fans." Rodgers also said: "The game is being tarnished by an NFL that obviously cares more about saving some money than having the integrity of the game diminished a little bit." Finally, there was this: "This is an NFL that gambled on some low-level referees, including the guy who makes the most important call last night, who has never had any professional experience."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/extramustard/hotclicks/09/25/aarond-rodgers-rips-nfl-for-replacement-refs/index.html#ixzz27nBRVXwC

"I just feel bad for the fans," Rodgers said on the show. "They pay good money and the game is being tarnished by an NFL who obviously cares more about saving a little money then having the integrity of the game diminish a little bit."
Replacement officials ruled that a last-second scrum in the end zone resulted in a touchdown to Seahawks receiver Golden Tate — when Rodgers, his teammates, Packers fans and much of the football-watching public saw a clear-cut interception by the Packers' M.D. Jennings in Seattle's 14-12 win on Monday night.
Rodgers said fans deserve better.
"Our sport is generated, the multi-billion dollar machine is generated, by people coming to watch us play," Rodgers said. "And the product that is on the field is not being complemented by an appropriate set of officials. The games are getting out of control."
Rodgers spent part of Tuesday's show reading an NFL-issued statement on the air, poking holes in the league's official explanation.
Rodgers dismissed the statement's assertion that "officials" determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball.
And the quarterback also scoffed at the notion that replacement referee Wayne Elliott determined that there was no indisputable visual evidence to overturn the call on the field through instant replay.
"I mean, come on, Wayne, that's embarrassing," Rodgers said. "This is the NFL here saying they should have called pass interference and saying that the refs got it right in the end zone. Unbelievable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/aaron-rodgers-packers-seahawks-nfl-refs_n_1914674.html

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay - Since the replacement officials made their controversial call Monday night in Seattle, Packers president Mark Murphy has been silent.
On Thursday afternoon, well after the NFL and Referee's Association reached an agreement on an eight-year collective bargaining agreement, Murphy made a statement in the team's media auditorium explaining his views on the deal and why he didn't defend the Packers' side publicly.
He refused to accept any questions.
"I wanted to just say, I decided not until this point to speak publicly really out of respect for and concern for the sensitivity of the bargaining process," Murphy said. "I didn’t want to influence that in any way. I have over the last couple of days talked to several people in the league office, including Roger (Goodell).
"I expressed our views. But first and foremost for the long-term good of the game we wanted to make sure we got a deal done."
Murphy urged fans to move on as he said the Packers organization has. He said he was happy that the bargaining process was able to bring the officials back into the fold and called it a "win-win" for both sides.
He also praised coach Mike McCarthy for handling a tough situation with class.
"I wanted to mention the excellent job Mike McCarthy did in representing the organization the last two days," he said. "It was a difficult position to be in. I just thought he handled himself well. I have received many comments from people in the league office on how well Mike has handled himself, what a great representative he is of the organization."

Link please or it will be deleted, we need a SOURCE

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TY

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

Posting Articles:
There has been a number of occasions where a user wants to post an article from another site. We are completely IN FAVOR of posting articles from another since that creates a good discussion on this site. However, there are some guidelines that need to be followed.

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am REALLY surprised at the lack of response to this thread. So far only ivo had something to say. Why wouldn't Murphy come out and publicly respond? And to accept no questions is gutless. This sounds fishy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is in a unique position...He probably wants to say something but if he does, would get a big fine...

not so sure Harlan would speak up on this matter as well..

IMO Murphy did/said nothing wrong other than not telling the fans at the start what he was doing

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. He obviously championed our cause to have it reversed behind closed doors where this stuff happens and when he didn't win he just kept it to himself and the "insiders' in the FO.
TBH it's pretty clear this is what brought the regular refs back. It's a good thing in that the Packers were across the board pretty good about it and the NFL got it done. No fines, no comments.
Truth be told, it kind of adds to the mystique of the Packers. I see comments by other fans how the Packers are media darlings and untouchable. Yep, maybe so, but it has alot to do with this kind of thing.
I think Murphy did the right thing. Sometimes shooting your mouth off is the worst thing to do. Fans of other teams will complain about favorable calls all year.
The only reason this wasn't BIGGER news is that it didn't happen to the Patriots or Jets.
Goodness we need a win this weekend.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I am REALLY surprised at the lack of response to this thread. So far only ivo had something to say. Why wouldn't Murphy come out and publicly respond? And to accept no questions is gutless. This sounds fishy.
Earlier in the week, I heard Jason Wilde say that Murphy was second only to Jerry Jones in taking a hard line against the NFLRA before they agreed on an extension. That's somewhat surprising to me because Murphy is a former player. Anyway, Wilde said Murphy didn't make a public statement criticizing the incompetent replacements because the owners who knew Murphy’s stance in the negotiations would have seen it as the height of hypocrisy. Wilde didn’t name a source for this – and I wouldn’t expect him to name a name. But he didn’t even identify the source as someone in the league office, another team’s front office, or the Packers front office. I like Wilde – I think he, along with others like McGinn provide Packers fans with some of the best team reporting in the league. But in this instance without more information I’m a bit suspicious of this report. I offer it only because it provides a reasonable explanation for Murphy’s lack of outrage at the call.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that any of the other owners in the league spoke out against the refs, so I'm not surprised that Murphy didn't either. This whole episode was a wart that everyone involved wants to forget. One must remember that Goodell, as commissioner, is merely the mouthpiece or pawn for the owners. The owners locked out the refs so as ThxJackVainisi stated, it would have been hypocritical for an owner to speak out.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. He obviously championed our cause to have it reversed behind closed doors where this stuff happens and when he didn't win he just kept it to himself and the "insiders' in the FO.
TBH it's pretty clear this is what brought the regular refs back. It's a good thing in that the Packers were across the board pretty good about it and the NFL got it done. No fines, no comments.
Truth be told, it kind of adds to the mystique of the Packers. I see comments by other fans how the Packers are media darlings and untouchable. Yep, maybe so, but it has alot to do with this kind of thing.
I think Murphy did the right thing. Sometimes shooting your mouth off is the worst thing to do. Fans of other teams will complain about favorable calls all year.
The only reason this wasn't BIGGER news is that it didn't happen to the Patriots or Jets.
Goodness we need a win this weekend.
OMG. I can only imagine what this would have become if this happened to the Jets? This would be the only thing on ESPN for another month yet.

Structuarly, the Jets wouldn't be able to handle this either and their whole season would probably go down the drain, which would lead to even more complaining.

For some reason, surprisingly, I am actually thanking god this happened to a team that could handle it, like the Packers rather then the Jets...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Earlier in the week, I heard Jason Wilde say that Murphy was second only to Jerry Jones in taking a hard line against the NFLRA before they agreed on an extension. That's somewhat surprising to me because Murphy is a former player. Anyway, Wilde said Murphy didn't make a public statement criticizing the incompetent replacements because the owners who knew Murphy’s stance in the negotiations would have seen it as the height of hypocrisy. Wilde didn’t name a source for this – and I wouldn’t expect him to name a name. But he didn’t even identify the source as someone in the league office, another team’s front office, or the Packers front office. I like Wilde – I think he, along with others like McGinn provide Packers fans with some of the best team reporting in the league. But in this instance without more information I’m a bit suspicious of this report. I offer it only because it provides a reasonable explanation for Murphy’s lack of outrage at the call.
Really? As you said, Murphy being a former player and only recent "boss" has me surprised at this. I like Wilde, McGinn and Silverstein. Still, without being able to report a source it's pretty ambiguous don't you think?
Good food for thought though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Really? As you said, Murphy being a former player and only recent "boss" has me surprised at this. I like Wilde, McGinn and Silverstein. Still, without being able to report a source it's pretty ambiguous don't you think?Good food for thought though.
I do think it explains Murphy's behavior and while I wish Wilde would have been more specific about his source I don't have any reason to believe he'd make up something like this up - that's why I said I'm only "a bit" suspicious. Murphy was named AD at Colgate (his alma mater) in 1992, and he went on to be AD at Northwestern before joining the Packers. So if you consider the post of AD at a college a management or management-like position, Murphy has been in "management' for the past two decades. Or maybe Murphy still has a grudge against officials from his playing days?;)

IMO Wilde is pretty good about separating his opinion and speculation from reporting. For example, during the CBA negotiations he speculated that during the Packers search for a president, the league pressured the Packers to consider Murphy because of the help he would lend to the league at the bargaining table against the NFLPA. But Wilde was very careful to label this speculation, unlike the story above.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I do think it explains Murphy's behavior and while I wish Wilde would have been more specific about his source I don't have any reason to believe he'd make up something like this up - that's why I said I'm only "a bit" suspicious. Murphy was named AD at Colgate (his alma mater) in 1992, and he went on to be AD at Northwestern before joining the Packers. So if you consider the post of AD at a college a management or management-like position, Murphy has been in "management' for the past two decades. Or maybe Murphy still has a grudge against officials from his playing days?;)

IMO Wilde is pretty good about separating his opinion and speculation from reporting. For example, during the CBA negotiations he speculated that during the Packers search for a president, the league pressured the Packers to consider Murphy because of the help he would lend to the league at the bargaining table against the NFLPA. But Wilde was very careful to label this speculation, unlike the story above.
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not calling Wilde out. I have no reason to believe he'd "make it up" as you suggest. It still doesn't mean it didn't come from a less than reliable source. Reporters, even those with untouchable credentials get the call wrong too. They have to rely on sources. Even the most reliable reporter might get information from a less than stellar source. Or even fall prey to a one-time misquote or misdirection.
Because Murphy was "management" doesn't mean a darned thing unless you are of the type who considers management "them" and the workers "us".
How does Murphy benefit by keeping the refs out? How can his stance mirror Jerry Jones? He's not an owner. I might be wrong but I'm not a big "grassy knoll" kind of guy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to suggest Murphy strongly supported the league vs. the NFLRA. If he did so, that's how he could mirror Jones' strong anti-NFLRA stance. (Even some posters here did so - owning an NFL team isn't a prerequisite.) I don't have any idea whether or not Murphy takes an "us vs. them" stance regarding unions and management. My point was Murphy is far removed from his playing days and union membership and has had a much more "management" experience for the past two decades. I can tell you from personal experience there are union members who disagree with union policies and philosophy and would prefer not to belong to a union.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Still, to what end does this benefit Murphy? His best interests should be for the Packers.
And sure, he's management, but so is MM and TT and Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan, Vince Lombardi and Jack Vainisi have been too.
Murphy may be far removed from his playing days but does moving from labor to management (outside of lots more to worry about) change you that much?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Still, to what end does this benefit Murphy? His best interests should be for the Packers... Murphy may be far removed from his playing days but does moving from labor to management (outside of lots more to worry about) change you that much?
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘how does it benefit Murphy?’. Neither taking the side of management nor labor (whether it’s the NFLPA or NFLRA) directly “benefits” Murphy. Also from Murphy’s point of view, whichever side he took could have been seen by him as acting in best interests of the Packers. For example, obviously the Packers contribute to the compensation of the refs, so if he saw their demands as being out of line, it would have been in the best long-term interests of the Packers to vigorously oppose such a deal.

The point I made in my above post is, like many others who are compulsory members of unions, Murphy may have disliked unions even while he was a member of the NFLPA. So his experience on management’s side the past two decades could have reinforced his point of view, rather than change it.

Members online

Latest posts