Mt. Failmore

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The opposite of Mt. Rushmore. What are the four worst Packers players based upon expectations, contract, role and lack of production, etc.?

Being 30, my four would consist of more recent players:

1. Tony Mandarich
2. Ahmad Carrol
3. Mike Sherman - the GM
4. Justin Harrell

Dishonorable Mention: Jamal Reynolds, Jon Michels, Brian Brohm, Joe Johnson, B.J. Sander (smh), Terrell Buckley...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without a doubt it was the John Hadl trade by Devine in '74. He was a benchwarmer for the Rams and Devine gave up 5 draft picks for him 10 days after he completed 6/16 against us. Nos. 1, 2, 3 in '75 and nos. 2, and 3 in '76 went to the Rams for the 34 y.o. Hadl, who played one and 1/2 seasons of below average QB for us. Devine resigned after the '74 season, but he was instrumental in ensuring the Packers were dismal throughout the rest of the decade.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without a doubt it was the John Hadl trade by Devine in '74. He was a benchwarmer for the Rams and Devine gave up 5 draft picks for him 10 days after he completed 6/16 against us. Nos. 1, 2, 3 in '75 and nos. 2, and 3 in '76 went to the Rams for the 34 y.o. Hadl, who played one and 1/2 seasons of below average QB for us. Devine resigned after the '74 season, but he was instrumental in ensuring the Packers were dismal throughout the rest of the decade.

Wow. Learn something everyday. That sounds like one of the worst trades of all time......

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What's funny about that is Wolf did the same thing, in essence, in trading for Favre. A third-stringer at ATL with limited and terrible regular season play in his rookie season. Wolf sent the 19th overall selection for him. Thankfully, the results were quite different.

Also, can you imagine the vitriol in this forum if this existed then!?!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We gave up a enough for the John Hadl dance - a one, a two, a one, two, three . .

It was a 1st and 2nd in '76.

Hadl, 34, and in his 13th season of pro ball, was expensive. To get him, the Packers gave up first-, second- and third-round choices in the next draft, and a first and second choice in 1976.

John Hadl was a good player, just that he was at the very end of his career. He started all but 3 games the season before. This was probably one of the worst trades in NFL history. My list of the failed players would be:

1. Mandrich - Biggest bust in NFL history (by far)
2. Hadl - Reasons stated above
3. Bruce Clark - Said before the draft - "if the Packer take me, I won't play for them - I will go to Canada." Packers took him 4th overall, he never engaged in contract negotiations and just signed with Toronto Argonauts. Can't blame Clark, I guess, this is more of a stupidest Packer Pick ever.
4. Rich Campbell. THis one bugs me the most. A quote on the first day of practice by Zeke Bratkowski (offensive coordiantor) "The first day of practice I saw his throwing motion and my heart sank - I knew he would never play in the NFL" How the hell do you draft a player 6th overall and your OC never saw him throw a pass? Rich seemed like a great guy and a good football player - what chance did he have when his OC knows he will never play in the NFL?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf gave up a single 1st rounder for Favre (he had 2 that year). No comparison to Devine's give-away, even if Favre had turned out bad. The Hadl trade is generally considered one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL--although not quite as horrific as the Hershel trade by Mike Lynn.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's funny about that is Wolf did the same thing, in essence, in trading for Favre. A third-stringer at ATL with limited and terrible regular season play in his rookie season. Wolf sent the 19th overall selection for him. Thankfully, the results were quite different.

Also, can you imagine the vitriol in this forum if this existed then!?!
That's not similar at all. The other situation had 5, FIVE, picks going to the Rams for a scrub QB. (All of them falling in rounds 1-3 apparently).

Wolf gave one pick, a first rounder, for Favre. I fail to see the similarities other than both were perceived as scrubs at the time of the trade. Still that is not enough of anything to draw parallels.

My picks are (in no specific order):
1) Terry Glenn
2) Mike McKenzie
3) James Starks
4) Jamal Reynolds

Honorable mention: Ahmad Carroll

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not similar at all. The other situation had 5, FIVE, picks going to the Rams for a scrub QB. (All of them falling in rounds 1-3 apparently).

Wolf gave one pick, a first rounder, for Favre. I fail to see the similarities other than both were perceived as scrubs at the time of the trade. Still that is not enough of anything to draw parallels.
Favre was at least young and had a ton of potential. Hadl (who was a starter BTW) was at the end of his career. The season before, Wolf had Favre ranked #1 in the draft. Trading a 16ish pick a year later was a bargain in his eyes.

My picks are (in no specific order):
1) Terry Glenn
2) Mike McKenzie
3) James Starks
4) Jamal Reynolds

Honorable mention: Ahmad Carroll
Posts like this make me feel old.

Not sure what criteria you used:

Terry Glenn? Came in and played very well for a season.
Mike McKenzie? - Played great and we traded him for a 2nd round pick.
James Starks? - Played well for a 6th round pick and was a big help in the SB win.
Reynolds? Partial agreement here - he was injured but he was a big disappointment.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posts like this make me feel old.

Not sure what criteria you used:

Terry Glenn? Came in and played very well for a season.
Mike McKenzie? - Played great and we traded him for a 2nd round pick.
James Starks? - Played well for a 6th round pick and was a big help in the SB win.
Reynolds? Partial agreement here - he was injured but he was a big disappointment.

Hahaha, well I'm only 28 so I can only go with the guys I've seen play. But to reiterate the criteria form the OP:
"...based upon expectations, contract, role and lack of production, etc.?"

Terry Glenn? - I remember being disappointed in his production, (Could be that I was hoping for another Antonio Freeman) and the fact that he only played a year with us before being traded again.
Mike McKenzie? - His rookie year was great, not so much after that stat wise.
James Starks? - Constantly injured, was just a "flash in the pan".
Reynolds? - Injury is not an excuse to be bad.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the difference in amount of picks trades pails in comparison, which is why I said - in essence. Because, in my mind, the deal is similar in that the Packers traded valuable assets for a benchwarmer QB. I'll admit the difference in age makes a big difference that I didn't account for in my original post. But, the impact on the franchise, or the risk, is the same. That horrific deal for Hadl set the franchise back for years. Missing on the trade for Favre would have had a similar impact. Look at the countless franchises that swing and miss on QB's in the first-round. It's an absolute killer. If Favre doesn't pan out, we probably nominate Ron Wolf for this Mt. Failmore, highlighting this trade as the biggest reason why.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terry Glenn? - I remember being disappointed in his production, (Could be that I was hoping for another Antonio Freeman) and the fact that he only played a year with us before being traded again.
Mike McKenzie? - His rookie year was great, not so much after that stat wise.
James Starks? - Constantly injured, was just a "flash in the pan".
Reynolds? - Injury is not an excuse to be bad.

Mike McKenzie was the best of the three CB's we took in that draft to counter Moss. He was a thorn in Moss's side for countless battles. He was a great player for us I thought, especially for a third-rounder.

And Starks was a 6th round selection. He was a huge reason we won SB XLV. I have to disagree with his nomination.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because a player helped us win a Super Bowl doesn't mean that he is not bad. In the wake of his helping us win one he has been a huge disappointment imo. (Starks)

As for McKenzie I just remember a lot of PI calls going his way. I will agree though that he probably doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All 2000's fail team off the top of my head-
Joe Johnson
Cletidus Hunt
Ahmad "grabby grab" Carroll
Sherman the combine napping GM

Honorable mentions Ed "4th and 24" Donatell
And for controversy- "playoff picks" Favre

M

mayo44

1. Mandrich - Biggest bust in NFL history (by far)

I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. Jamarcus Russell owns that distinction now. At least Mandarich was able to become a productive player for the Colts for a few years. Russell was a bum.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. Jamarcus Russell owns that distinction now. At least Mandarich was able to become a productive player for the Colts for a few years. Russell was a bum.
If that is your criteria, there are players who never played a down, or even signed a contract for their drafting team. Mandrich managed a few years of mediocre play at a less premium position, a far cry from where many thought he was headed.

I measure bust as the difference between expectations and realization. In my life-time there have been 3 uber-hyped players coming out of college:

1. Elway
2. Mandrich
3. Bo Jackson

In that order.

Mandrich was a sure first ballot HOF (the announcer actually said that when his name was called in the draft) who was supposed to revolutionize the offensive line play. He was so pathetic, he should not have cracked the starting line-up of one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. That is a huge discrepancy. He is the only college player to make the 'all-madden' team; ESPN had the pancake block of the week - highlighting a block of his each week. The guy could take out 3 defenders on a single play. He was unbelievable. In an age when an OT that was over 300 lbs was frowned on for being so fat - he was bigger, faster, and more athletic than anything football had ever seen.

As far as Russell goes, he was a high risk pick. He had amazing physical skills but he had very limited experience and there were some who questioned his mental understanding. That is, there were many detractors of the pick. With the Mandrich pick - it was seen by just about everyone as an oustanding pick that would pay huge dividends for the Packers.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is your criteria, there are players who never played a down, or even signed a contract for their drafting team. Mandrich managed a few years of mediocre play at a less premium position, a far cry from where many thought he was headed.

I measure bust as the difference between expectations and realization. In my life-time there have been 3 uber-hyped players coming out of college:

1. Elway
2. Mandrich
3. Bo Jackson

In that order.

Mandrich was a sure first ballot HOF (the announcer actually said that when his name was called in the draft) who was supposed to revolutionize the offensive line play. He was so pathetic, he should not have cracked the starting line-up of one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. That is a huge discrepancy. He is the only college player to make the 'all-madden' team; ESPN had the pancake block of the week - highlighting a block of his each week. The guy could take out 3 defenders on a single play. He was unbelievable. In an age when an OT that was over 300 lbs was frowned on for being so fat - he was bigger, faster, and more athletic than anything football had ever seen.

As far as Russell goes, he was a high risk pick. He had amazing physical skills but he had very limited experience and there were some who questioned his mental understanding. That is, there were many detractors of the pick. With the Mandrich pick - it was seen by just about everyone as an oustanding pick that would pay huge dividends for the Packers.

Not to mention that the next three picks, in order, were: Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders. D'OH!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Tony Mandarich
2. Jamaal Reynolds
3. Rich Campbell
4. Darrell Thompson
I would put Justin Harrell in there instead of Darrell Thompson.
Joe Johnson was such a big miss, nobody even knows what the guy looks like. He's the close 5th IMO.
Darrell Thompson sucked, but not as badly.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the difference in amount of picks trades pails in comparison, which is why I said - in essence. Because, in my mind, the deal is similar in that the Packers traded valuable assets for a benchwarmer QB. I'll admit the difference in age makes a big difference that I didn't account for in my original post. But, the impact on the franchise, or the risk, is the same. That horrific deal for Hadl set the franchise back for years. Missing on the trade for Favre would have had a similar impact. Look at the countless franchises that swing and miss on QB's in the first-round. It's an absolute killer. If Favre doesn't pan out, we probably nominate Ron Wolf for this Mt. Failmore, highlighting this trade as the biggest reason why.
I still beg to differ. Giving up 5 players for 1 is much more risky than giving up 1 for 1. Wolf already had Majkowski, who was decent, and Brunell or Hasselbeck could have been leaders, although obviously not another Favre. Without Favre, maybe an undrafted guy like Kurt Warner makes the team in '94. Remember: Reggie White and the defense of the Packers in '96 had as much to do with the Championship as no. 4.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still beg to differ. Giving up 5 players for 1 is much more risky than giving up 1 for 1. Wolf already had Majkowski, who was decent, and Brunell or Hasselbeck could have been leaders, although obviously not another Favre. Without Favre, maybe an undrafted guy like Kurt Warner makes the team in '94. Remember: Reggie White and the defense of the Packers in '96 had as much to do with the Championship as no. 4.

You're assuming Reggie would have still come to GB without Favre. I don't think he signs with us if Favre isn't here.

As far as the other QB's, it's futile. None of them enter Favre's realm in his prime and what he meant for this organization. It's a QB league and when you have one of the all-time greats, it changes the dynamics of the organization - making GB a destination players wanted to come to. Brunell, Hasselback, and Warner (at that time - i.e. pre-Arena football days, which he credits a lot for his development) were not those players.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Johnson was such a big miss, nobody even knows what the guy looks like. He's the close 5th IMO.
Justin Harrell tweeked his back while working out lifting weights. He then had an operation that was unsuccessful. He had another couple of operations. He was never the same player after being the 17th pick overall.

Darrell Thompson, I don't know. He was the 17th overall and he played sparingly for a few years with 1,600 yards over 4 years.

I will toss another name out there - Brent Fullwood. To the best of my memory - Brent actually took himself out of a game as a rookie because he had a tummy ache. That night he was spotted in a bar in Appleton partying. He was the 4th overall pick in 1987 and was expected to do some big things. He stunk.

M

mayo44

I was going with guys that the Packers drafted in my list and the reason I went with Thompson over Harrell is because of expectation. Harrell was damaged goods coming in who TT was hoping would be able to overcome those injuries and become the player he was earlier on. Thompson was expected to come in and dominate right out of the gate and it never happened. Instead, we had a lazy, slow guy who couldn't break a tackle to save his life.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts