Motivation

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Mike Sherman's X's and O's coaching. I think he really does have a good understanding of how to prepare a game plan. I do however believe that Mike's mo is that he can't motive his players to play better. He hasn't been able to light a fire under any of this players. On those rare occasion when he gets his team up and ready to play, they play amazing. Then you have those games like the ones against the Jets and the Falcons a few years ago, the Vikes in the playoffs last year, and you wonder, what the hell is going on up there? I beleive motivation comes from demanding that a player plays well or they don't play. If you don't tackle, you don't play. If you drop balls you don't play. I truly think playing time and personal pride are the two most important keys to motivation. Hunt knew he didn't have to come to camp in shape. He knew he was going to play. Why? because there were no repercussions for poor play and bad attitude.

I believe motivation takes balls. it takes courage and you can't be afraid to get on your players when they screw up, and you have to show some damn emotion when they do well. Motivation isn't just negative. The one thing that just baffles me when I see Sherman on the sideline is that there is no emotion whatsoever, most of the time. I want to see this guy show some fire himself and I want to see his team show some fire. Because i really do believe that the team that comes prepared to play mentally always plays better physically. Players don't motivate themselves, coaches do.

Reaction score
Mike didn't have enough time with the GM duties to focus on coaching. But this year, I look for the Pack to be more motivated. And the thing with MS is that, according to Brett, he can hammer the point home unlike other coaches. Now if Brett is fine with MS coaching, then so am I. :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one thing that Jim Bates is good at is motivating his defense. Let's hope this works out with the new kids. Hunt was a hopeless case. I think BatesAl HarrisNick Barnett will keep this defense motivated and in check.

As we know, Favre keeps that offense in check.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse, good post. Great coaches are great motivators. They know how to motivate indiviuals and they know how to motivate teams. You don't have to shout or jump up and down to be a great motivator but you do have to understand people and motivation. There are different styles like Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Walsh or Shula. But everyone needs a kick in the butt or a pat on the back once in a while to help get them to reach their goals.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great thread.
I think the organization as a whole is off of life support. TT is throwing away the garbage and with the addition of a fine DC, a new attitude on defense is already brewing. You are gonna see these kids fly around the football and make plays. You are going to see turnovers. You are going to see fire. The Sharpers and Hunts were out for themselves but we are rid of that baggage now.

I can certainly live with an 8-8 team if I see fire and compassion every week vs. everyone blaming each other and not everyone committed to the team.

Members online