Most pleasant Packer surprises...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who have been the biggest surprises/overachievers this year for the Pack?

Offense: Gado, Donald Lee
Defense: Kampan, Cole
ST: Poppinga
Coach: Bates

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd cross off Lee and keep the rest of your list. I've been impressed with Bates, would hate to see some team snag him for HC; we need him!

cdnpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree with that list. Also, not really a huge surprise but Collins has played pretty well, and is only a rookie too. He looks like someone to keep back there for a while to come.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cdnpackfan said:
I'd agree with that list. Also, not really a huge surprise but Collins has played pretty well, and is only a rookie too. He looks like someone to keep back there for a while to come.

Considering all the ripping Ted Thompson took for selecting Collins in the 2nd round, when some thought he should have been a late round pick, he could be considered a pleasant surprise. I'm glad TT selected Collins.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thumbs up for the list of biggest surprises. and CB Al Harris should be added to the list. Although I don't know if Jim Bates was surprise. He had a great track record as a DC and it was anticipated by some that Packer defense record would improve That is why many teams including Patriots wanted him. It was fortunate that Jim Bates had reasons for his choice of Green Bay. One being his respect of the organization. a great plus (if memory serve me right) was that his wife has older parents living in Wisconsin and they like the idea of living close to them.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest surprise for me is the fact that the Packers have not quit on the field. I think they are playing tough in each game and have started to rebuild a defense that last year looked more like a college team. (thank you Jim Bates) A few key picks through the draft or free agency, along with injured players returning 100%. The Packers could be a contender next year.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
I think the biggest surprise for me is the fact that the Packers have not quit on the field. I think they are playing tough in each game and have started to rebuild a defense that last year looked more like a college team. (thank you Jim Bates) A few key picks through the draft or free agency, along with injured players returning 100%. The Packers could be a contender next year.

They WILL be a contender next year. Walker will be back and we'll add a few starters from the draft. We need to resign our key players on defense before we go spending it on free agents. I'm talking about Jackson and Kampman. I think we'll go either DE or LB in the draft. AJ Hawk would be a great addition. If not him, Mathieus Kiwanuka from Boston College or Mario Williams from NC State would look great in a Packers uni next year. The defense will continue to grow and become better next year. The offensive line has played better as of late, and they'll have more continuity and experience next season. BRETT PLEASE STICK AROUND! Without you, that stuff is irrelevant.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not unexpected but I would go with Bates, man I hope we can keep him for a long time. If he can get a couple more impact players in the draft to work with it should be fun to watch the defense.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With salary cap constraints, the only one that cost anything was Kampmann who was signed for less than the next higher tender(a bargain).

A little bit of cap room in 06 should permit "new and improved" moves.

Many will be upset that they will be young unknowns signed cheaply but that is Thompson's style and after they play a bit they will become known.

Members online

Latest posts