Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=131446

Packers: Team closing in on deal for Moss

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - The long- rumored trade that would bring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss to the Green Bay Packers moved considerably closer to reality Friday night as the teams were discussing the parameters of a deal, according to an NFL source.

The trade could be consummated during today's NFL draft, the source said. But the source also said that the trade still faces several road blocks - the Raiders coming down in their asking price, the existence of two other interested teams, and Moss agreeing to a restructured contract.

The Packers are offering a fourth-round pick for Moss, the source said. Moss is set to earn base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08, and the Packers, the source said, won't make the deal unless his contract is reworked.

The source said the Packers and New England Patriots were among the teams to have talked with the Raiders, but neither was willing meet Oakland's asking price. A third team also is believed to be interested.

"I can see it going either way," the source said.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported on its Web site Friday evening that new Raiders coach Lane Kiffin spent the day shopping the disgruntled wide receiver, hoping get a first-day pick.

Moss' agent, Tim DiPiero, declined comment when reached on his cell phone Friday evening, but he did nothing to squelch talk of a possible deal.

"I don't know if anything's going to happen or not," DiPiero said. "I'm not going to confirm or deny anything at this point. I'm not going to say anything about it."

Kiffin said at the NFL meetings last month that he expects Moss, 30, to be with the Raiders this season, although he didn't rule out a trade.

In his first six NFL seasons, all with Minnesota, Moss didn't miss a game and averaged 88 catches for 1,396 yards and 12.8 touchdowns per year.

But in his past three seasons, his last with the Vikings in 2004 and his two with the Raiders, Moss has averaged just 50 catches, 775 yards and eight TDs. In 2006, Moss caught just 42 passes for 553 yards and three touchdowns in 13 games.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ted Thompson picks up Randy Moss for a 4th round pick in a weak draft.
i expect a lot of hand written apologies on his desk by monday morning.

TT sucks

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fourth round pick sounds like a pretty good deal for GB.

Hopefully it gets done . . .

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yepppp we send a third or fourth for moss ... wow ... lool plus we pick up lynch and miller first 2 rounds ... and keep on pickin defensive players the rest of the rounds ... we pretty much contendors

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when i 1st became a member of this forum i had a real go at Randy moss but as the time as pasted ive warmed to him id be happy with a 4th remember people we got 9 picks and nowadays there r not many bad players in the draft u can still find playermakers in the 6th and 7th round

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true you can find playmakers in the 6th and 7th round, but mostly by luck. If teams knew they were playmakers they would have been picked earlier.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Moss is going to be a packer.

Concerning LJ, I think there is no way he's going to be a Packer, I don't want him either.

Could be nice to get Michael Turner though, don't think Lynch is worth drafting as early as he's going to go.

I would like to see us draft Kenny Irons.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But New England has an advantage other teams don't. Any team that wants to trade for Moss will have to rework his contract, which calls for him to make $9.75 million this season. The Raiders even have asked Moss to restructure his contract -- the wide receiver has refused, challenging Oakland. But Moss is willing to redo his contract for the Patriots, a team the wide receiver believes can win the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl, at this point, is Moss' motivation in going to play for the Patriots.

Looks like he'd rather be a patriot

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also said that we should know by pick 16 if Moss will be a Packer, because he said that the Packers would rather take Meachem than Lynch if both WR and RB were a need.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
But New England has an advantage other teams don't. Any team that wants to trade for Moss will have to rework his contract, which calls for him to make $9.75 million this season. The Raiders even have asked Moss to restructure his contract -- the wide receiver has refused, challenging Oakland. But Moss is willing to redo his contract for the Patriots, a team the wide receiver believes can win the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl, at this point, is Moss' motivation in going to play for the Patriots.

Looks like he'd rather be a patriot

For a AFC team to get Moss I think it would have to be a pretty sweet deal for the Radiers. I just don't see an AFC team sending a player like Moss to someone else in their conference.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would the Raiders rather trade Moss for say Rodgers and a draft pick, and then be able to take Calvin Johnson, or would they rather have Jamarcus Russell. If I were the Raiders, I would jump at the Packers offer if Rodgers were a part of it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
go_pack_go said:
Would the Raiders rather trade Moss for say Rodgers and a draft pick, and then be able to take Calvin Johnson, or would they rather have Jamarcus Russell. If I were the Raiders, I would jump at the Packers offer if Rodgers were a part of it.

I would only let Rodgers go if Brett committed to two more years. (meaning this year and the following)

I don't think Rodgers is the next coming of Joe Montana, but I think he's a better solution than we have available.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NEW YORK (April 28, 2007) -- Oakland is sitting on two of the potentially biggest draft-day developments.

For starters, the Raiders have been calling New England, trying to engineer a trade for Randy Moss. The Patriots are interested and have offered a second-day pick for Moss. Raiders owner Al Davis shot down the Patriots' offer, believing he can get more. The two sides continue talking, hoping to hammer out a trade that seems less likely today than it did yesterday.

As it stands now, it looks like it could be difficult to trade Moss this weekend. But the talks are ongoing and active, and they bear monitoring.

The other big development regarding the Raiders is the talks they've had in regards to their No. 1 overall pick. The team making a push to move up to No. 1 is the Cleveland Browns. But in exchange for the pick that put the Browns in position to draft LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the Raiders are demanding a first-, second- and third-round pick, and another first-round pick next year. At those terms, the Browns will pass on the deal, but they will continue to monitor the situation in the hopes they can pull off the trade.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't believe the Raiders will trade Moss to the Pats. Just my opinion though.

Members online

Latest posts