Morgan Burnett

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was in Vegas this week partying with some of the packers. So I assume everything is good to go for next season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's incredibly promising. Tons of ball skills.

He's still raw and needs to be more physical, but I really liked the draft pick and was fairly satisfied with the player.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m high on him, too. He was improving and being more physical before he got hurt. The Packers are in fantastic shape at safety: A perennial pro bowler with great speed and ball skills, a youngster with great promise and an extremely solid backup good enough to win a title with. Making the pick of Burnett even sweeter: I’ve read Thompson traded up to snatch him away from the bears who took Major Wright four picks later. That was the bears’ first pick in the draft and with that trade-up the Packers – already a better team IMO – picked three players before they picked one.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got potential for sure, but needs to bulk and toughen up. Collins is so tough but he's worked to bulk up.
Same with Chuck Peprah.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I keep hearing that we have a need at safety. I heard it BEFORE Collins' return was improbable. Am I REALLY the ONLY one who still likes this guy? I understand that we need depth (maybe we should have kept Bigby instead of Peprah-le-pu) but I still thought Collins and Burnett were a solid duo. If only they'd played together more I guess...

My only qualm with Burnett is the concern of injury prone

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I keep hearing that we have a need at safety. I heard it BEFORE Collins' return was improbable. Am I REALLY the ONLY one who still likes this guy? I understand that we need depth (maybe we should have kept Bigby instead of Peprah-le-pu) but I still thought Collins and Burnett were a solid duo. If only they'd played together more I guess...

I think it has more to do with the starter opposite Burnett, at least for me. Most of us are penciling him in as a starter. However, Peprah was horrible last year. I would rather not see him on the field . . . ever. Therefore, most of us are thinking we need another solid starter opposite Burnett in case Collins can't return.

Reaction score

The only reason he didn't have a breakout year was because he was stuck playing FS because of Nick's injury. Once he is back to SS for 2012, he will play closer to the line of scrimmage where he can force more hits and play where he is accustomed to playing. He is pretty explosive when it comes to stopping the running back behind or at the line of scrimmage and he will be close to the top safety in another year or 2.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With this being a very deep cb draft Thompson should draft a safety or cb with one of the first 3 picks that way they could be more flexible with Woodson doing his "roaming" thing. I think at this point in his career he has no position he's just a roaming playmaker really. This is assuming that Collins is done, which I think is a safe assumption.

Speaking of Burnett, that was another really good TT pick. He looks very promising.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Burnett is fine paired with Collins. Without Collins I'm not sure he really gets it done back there. IF Collins can't play again I'd say safety is a pretty big need. Peprah is a terrible tackler and so-so in coverage...a decent guy to have on the bench though.

Collins really does a lot for this secondary all around...I think we saw that last year.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Burnett is fine paired with Collins. Without Collins I'm not sure he really gets it done back there. IF Collins can't play again I'd say safety is a pretty big need. Peprah is a terrible tackler and so-so in coverage...a decent guy to have on the bench though.

Collins really does a lot for this secondary all around...I think we saw that last year.

Is he really that decent of a back-up player though? You just mentioned he is horrible as a tackler and is so-so in coverage, basically the most important attributes to playing the safety position. Plus he doesn't seem to add anything as far as getting players in the right position and running a defense, not that he was tasked to last year, but I just don't see that as being one of his strengths.

We are always hearing about Anthony Levine, M.D. Jennings, I'd rather see those guys as the back-ups because they have more upside and ability that not all of us have seen, just heard about. I say backups because in the event that Nick Collins doesn't come back, which looks more and more likely, I would hope that we would draft someone, maybe in the 3rd much like Burnett.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he really that decent of a back-up player though? You just mentioned he is horrible as a tackler and is so-so in coverage, basically the most important attributes to playing the safety position. Plus he doesn't seem to add anything as far as getting players in the right position and running a defense, not that he was tasked to last year, but I just don't see that as being one of his strengths.

We are always hearing about Anthony Levine, M.D. Jennings, I'd rather see those guys as the back-ups because they have more upside and ability that not all of us have seen, just heard about. I say backups because in the event that Nick Collins doesn't come back, which looks more and more likely, I would hope that we would draft someone, maybe in the 3rd much like Burnett.

Well I mean he stepped in for Burnett in 2010 and did well.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Bagadeez04"= Peprah is a terrible tackler and so-so in coverage...a decent guy to have on the bench though."

I wouldn't put him in when there is a hail mary pass going to be thrown though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Peprah was the weak link in the D in 2010 but because the rest of the D was performing so well it was easy for Capers to “hide” him. Last season with almost no player on D matching his 2010 performance and the poor pass rush, Peprah was exposed. Even though Capers and the staff say the safeties are basically interchangeable, I agree Burnett was out of position last season. When he went down in 2010, Collins was still a great FS and Peprah’s experience and the surrounding cast made up for his lack of speed in replacing Burnett. Last season Burnett wasn’t as fast or experienced as Collins so both safety positions were worse off instead of just one. Since coverage and pressure on the QB are interdependent, the poorer coverage from the safeties (and CBs too) compounded the problems with the pass rush which was already hurting from the absence of Jenkins and invisibility of his “replacement”.

I hope a rookie or two and/or Levine and/or MD Jennings make Peprah expendable.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts