IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Report.com -----

All-stars shining for other teams

By Todd Korth
, [email protected]
Date: Feb 13, 2006

There probably were not many reasons for Green Bay Packers fans to watch the annual Pro Bowl game Sunday, other than dreaming of being on a warm Hawaiian island. But for those who did, the game served as a strong reminder of players the Packers could have on their current roster, and perhaps representing them among the NFL's elite.

The first player that practically jumped right out of the TV as one of Mike Sherman’s draft-day bloopers was Miami Dolphins wide receiver Chris Chambers, who caught the AFC’s first touchdown pass of the game. As long as Robert Ferguson is around, Packers fans will never forget Chambers, who was taken by the Dolphins 11 picks after Green Bay selected Ferguson with the 41st overall selection in the second round of the 2001 draft.
While Chambers has led the Dolphins in receiving all five seasons since he was drafted, and was named to his first Pro Bowl this season, Ferguson has been injury prone and has never had more than 38 catches in a season. Chambers entered the league as a four-year letterman and one of the all-time leading receivers for the University of Wisconsin. Ferguson had one year of experience at Texas A&M and entered the draft as a junior-eligible. Sherman was in love with his “potentialâ€

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tad bit of a joke as a challenge tp Shermans draft day decisons.

First of all there were 10 other teams that passed on Chambers before the Dolphins picked him. Second there were 9 wide recievers taken before Chambers..

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/2001.html

Also... To trash Sherman for not having Hasselbeck on the team now is a joke. The Packers had Brett. Hasselbeck, even if he was still on the team would have what? 10-15 passes in the NFL as an opportunity to devleop his game?

Hasselbeck would not be the QB he is today without the opportunity to start and he would not have had that in GB so if Sherman kept him he would have not been in Hawaii...

This is really silly!

RP

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all...EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PASSED ON CHAMBERS AT LEAST ONCE.In fact, nine teams chose receivers ahead of Chambers. Green Bay was not the only one:

Pick

8- Terrell-Chicago
9- Koren Robinson-Seattle
15- Rod Gardner-Wash
16- Santana Moss-Jets
25- FREDDIE MITCHELL-Phil.
30- Reggie Wayne-Ind.
33- Quincy Morgan-Cle.
34- Chad Johnson-Cin
41- Fergy-GB
52-Chambers- Miami

Seems to me only the Jets, Indy and Cin knew what the hell they were doing. Chambers has outplayed at least six WR's chosen ahead of him but this guy only mentions Fergy. You could do this excercise for any draft pick and you will find out how inexact a science the draft is.

The Hasseback/Jamal Reynolds thing had nothing to do with Sherman.

The Wahle/ Sharper thing had nothing to do with Sherman.

I guess you can keep throwing the punter situation at Sherman if you find it necessary.

Yea that's it... the punting situation killed us...hence the title of this thread!

Apparently it took me at least 14 minutes to look up the info and post. I've gotta get a life. Sorry RP....you beat me to the punch.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always a crap shoot......it's only years later that these picks make their GM's look like geniuses, or doofusses!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
It's always a crap shoot......it's only years later that these picks make their GM's look like geniuses, or doofusses!

hey cheesey - wasn't really sure how to spell this word - thanks for clearing it up for me!!! :lol:

anyway, back to the "article" - what a freakin joke! hindsight is 20/20 & completely unfair to judge someone with - it's almost worse than speculating what might be. the coulda, shoulda, woulda scenario is ridiculous!! :x

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you guys understand - I just copied that article....

I didn't agree with quite a bit of it, either! One wonders if the guy was just on a bent, after watching the ProBowl and one too many brewskis....

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Just so you guys understand - I just copied that article....

I didn't agree with quite a bit of it, either! One wonders if the guy was just on a bent, after watching the ProBowl and one too many brewskis....

yup - gotcha prez - it's all good! maybe if he'd had a few more of these :packbeer: he might actually start to make some sense!!! :lol:

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK Serman lovers, name the shrewd moves he made since everything is a crap shoot and things should even out in the end.

J

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did Sherman have any input into Wahle and Sharpers contracts of $11 million and Sharp $8million? If he did, then would he have to take some of the blame?

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Did Sherman have any input into Wahle and Sharpers contracts of $11 million and Sharp $8million? If he did, then would he have to take some of the blame?

Good question - have to go look; sorta smells like Ron Wolf was in on that, eh? Could be wrong, tho'. Wasn't Wahle around for about 4 - 5 years....?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darn, I still can't believe we passed on Barry Sanders and Joe Montanna....Twice!!!!.

Oh what coulda been!!!

This article is a joke, kinda reminds me of a lot of posts I've read around here lately though.

Monday morning qb'ing is the easiest job in the world.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the moral of this story is that it's not just a Chambers, it's a combination of bungling contracts, misjudging talent and over rating it and misjudgments on draft picks. It's easy to go back later and say "woulda, coulda, shoulda. But the bottom line is that Sherman's fire was due as much to the lousy job that he did as a GM as it was for his coaching. The truth be known, his coaching wasn't good enough to make up for his lack of skills as a GM.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONSTER Contracts of Impotent Defensive Lineman, Hunt, Johnson, and (only gets a sack in junk time) KGB pretty much crippled the Packs ability to keep their OL intact.

Just A Fact...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can argue about the many WRs taken before Chambers, but the reality is that any of the WRs taken prior to our taking Ferguson mean squat in this scenario. It came down to Fergy and Chambers and, as was the norm, Sherman's cronyism go the better of him. He listened to his old boss RC Slocum, (who has a vested interest in getting his players drafted for recruiting leverage) and took a kid with one years service over a known commodity...a 4 year letterman no less. Same old **** as far as I am concerned.

The Hasselbeck arguement is ridiculous...we had Favre and were going to lose Hasselbeck to FA anyway. My only arguement is that we got too little for the guy....same with Holmgren.

BJ Sander.....another player that became an obsession for our former GM....like shiny things to a packrat......he just couldn't help himself.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Sherman sucked as GM, yes he placed us in cap hell, yes he made a big mistake in Reynolds, another one with BJ and another one with Fergy, PLUS the contracts given to KGB, HUNT, etc.... yes he sucked on that..

BUT if we keep bashing him we get nothing in exchange as of today... and I used to be a Sherman basher.

So my humble opinion is:

1.- Let Shermy go away, let all of us wish him well.

2.- Hope that our new GM have the ability to learn from other people´s mistakes and pick players that are GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS WILLING TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND HAVE A GREAT HEART THAT NEVER STOPS PUSHING THEM TO GIVE 200% ON EACH PLAY, NOT GREAT ATLETHES WITH LOT OF POTENTIAL AND NO HEART. Lets hope that TT pays the guys that really deserve to be paid and let the other ones find another team or sign for the right money.

So far I have seen TT to do so. So far the only thing that I think he is really tacking a big gamble is choosing MM over Bates, other than that the guy is cleaning the house as he feels he needs to do.

I am willing to wait until december to judge him and his decitions on this upcoming free agency and draft.

On Shermy I really wish him the best and bye bye....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:
OK Serman lovers, name the shrewd moves he made since everything is a crap shoot and things should even out in the end.

J

Signing Grady Jackson and trading up to draft Javon Walker are Mike Sherman's two best moves as a GM.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, TOP....the man is not without his successes. Ahman Green, Kampmann..there are others.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:

J

They do even out. How did we win 3 straight division titles if EVERY move he made sucked? Without getting into a rant...how about drafting Javon Walker? After coming over from Seattle he convinced Wolf to trade Fred Vinson for Ahman Green. How did that work out? Probably the second best trade in modern Green Bay history. Tauscher....seventh round......etc.

BTW....it's Sherman not Serman.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
You can argue about the many WRs taken before Chambers, but the reality is that any of the WRs taken prior to our taking Ferguson mean squat in this scenario. It came down to Fergy and Chambers and, as was the norm, Sherman's cronyism go the better of him. He listened to his old boss RC Slocum, (who has a vested interest in getting his players drafted for recruiting leverage) and took a kid with one years service over a known commodity...a 4 year letterman no less. Same old **** as far as I am concerned.

The Hasselbeck arguement is ridiculous...we had Favre and were going to lose Hasselbeck to FA anyway. My only arguement is that we got too little for the guy....same with Holmgren.

BJ Sander.....another player that became an obsession for our former GM....like shiny things to a packrat......he just couldn't help himself.

You nailed it.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say about Sherman is he ain't the Packer's problem anymore!!!
What were there, nine openings in the NFL this year, and no one took Sherman. The Raider's even took someone who's been out of coaching for years. All these teams can't be that stupid. He was never qualified to lead the Packers and he steadily led the team down with his bumbling moves.

It's on to the future and the rise back to the top!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
jhensiak said:
OK, Sherman lovers, name the shrewd moves he made since everything is a crap shoot and things should even out in the end.

J

They do even out. How did we win 3 straight division titles if EVERY move he made sucked?

I totally agree on the Vinson for Green scenario - Where is Vinson these days?

Figuratively speaking, DePack - I'd have to say it was a stellar O-line, along with a 3xMVP at the Helm. In 2000 and 2001 - it could be argued that green Bay had one of THEE best Offensive front units in the NFL (just no solid Defense, no Reggie White any longer....)

Many of the moves made at the end of Ron Wolf's tenure kept the Packers afloat, well past his time in the big chair - you would have had to be a real maroon to bolix that up.

It was amazing to watch how much Wahle, Rivera, Flanny, Clifton, Tauscher, and the rest, all liked playing together... You got the sense that they enjoyed comparing notes after each game - you just knew... they were talking to each other - and when Wahle left, it fell apart very, very quickly. This last year - the O-line wasn't talking.... and it showed.

Not sure if that's the total answer - but it's damn close.....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If we got Chambers and he panned out who is to say we draft Walker the following year?

Bidwell did fine during the non winter months, I don't believe has to kick in the cold in Tampa and I'm sure that helped him get to the Pro Bowl.

Wahle and Rivera, geez again we didn't have the money, this dude needs to get over it already lol

Jamal, yeah we missed the ship on him that is for sure. It happens unfortunately he didn't happen for us.

Hassleback, give me a break. 'WE WANT THE BALL WE'RE GONNA SCORE AND WIN' ... Ask Al Harris how that went. Hassleback is better than average, Aaron Rodgers will be better!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like anyone, Sherman had his good and bad points. I think the Packers won 3 straight division titles, in spite of his coaching, not because of it. He never seemed to have the killer instinct........he seemed to me to play not to lose after he would get a lead.....not to win. Like the 4th and 26 that never should have even happened. He should have let his offense get the first down on 4th and one in enemy territory. That would have sealed the game. He had many other such calls that made me cringe. He just couldn't get it done in the big games. Thats just my opinion. I think he was a REALLY nice guy and all, but just was missing something.
As far as Bidwell leaving for greener pastures.......that still bugs me. He had cancer, the Packers stood by him and paid him his salary while he recovered (which they didn't have to do) and he takes off first chance he gets. That doesn't seem right to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts