More Larry Johnson rumors.........

Reaction score
A player. +
2nd or 3rd pick +
conditional pick that could go as high as a 1st rd'er

OMG that's CRAZY to think that. CRAZY!

Well it was sort of out there, given the players you used. The structure itself is something that I think is quite plausible, though.

Ferggie is injury prone. Any Tom, ****, and Harry who does some research will come to realize Ferggie seems to get injured every year, and can't be counted on.

Franks, as recently as a month ago, was being paid #1 TE money and playing 3rd string. I don't think KC would be interested in a #3 TE on a team where there is no TE even half as good as Tony Gonzalez.

I think we need to look at the Chiefs weaknesses, and then try and pick out players the Chiefs would want. They are thin at WR and LB.

I'm guessing that the Chiefs would target someone young like Gregorious Jennings or AJ Hawk, along with picks.

Giving up either one, in my opinion would be too much.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone honestly think that the Packers are still going to add any significant players to their roster this year?

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone honestly think that the Packers are still going to add any significant players to their roster this year?

No.

I've come around to the thinking that Ted will add pieces as he goes along once we are closer to being a championship team. We aren't there yet, IMO.

It'd shock me beyond belief if I woke up, and read "(Insert significant player name here) acquired by Packers" this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Not a fat chance, but I love it when folks get twisted over someone just throwing out a scenario.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope, but a lot of acker fans love to dream.... Anyway dreaming is free.....

Teddy wont sign any big time FA on the offense until Brett is no longer around....

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Nope, but a lot of acker fans love to dream.... Anyway dreaming is free.....

Teddy wont sign any big time FA on the offense until Brett is no longer around....
I'm a LONG time "ACKER" fan!!! :rotflmao:
I don't think Favre has anything to do with it. He got Woodson while Favre was here, so why wouldn't he get someone......IF he really thinks they would be worth it.
Anyway....it's his job and responsibility, and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. So I'm not gonna sit and wring my hands over it. I have too many REAL life things to worry about.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No most are chasing a ghost right now.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
James "who" Jones?

and Koren "wont play in 2007" robinson?

Dont get me wrong, I hope James owns, and Robinson comes back with achip on his shoulder...but cmon....cmon.....and Clowney isnt impressing much either..

One could say Brandon "who" Jackson and "No ****" Mo as well. That is the fan and press issue with the Packers... we don't really know what we have.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will NEVER do anything, will NEVER make the team any better, and we are DOOMED to suck for the next 20 years. He's an idiot and we should trade him for football genius Matt Millen. Then we should trade AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver to the chiefs for LJ. Man.......we sure could run the ball then, hey? Maybe if we throw in Brett Favre they will take the offer. Plus give LJ 25 million a year! Yeah! THAT would guarentee us a Super Bowl win! If the D's would key on LJ, we could just have Bre......uh.......Aaron Rodgers throw the ball to Dona......Greg Jenn.........uh.........SOMEONE!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will NEVER do anything, will NEVER make the team any better, and we are DOOMED to suck for the next 20 years. He's an idiot and we should trade him for football genius Matt Millen. Then we should trade AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver to the chiefs for LJ. Man.......we sure could run the ball then, hey? Maybe if we throw in Brett Favre they will take the offer. Plus give LJ 25 million a year! Yeah! THAT would guarentee us a Super Bowl win! If the D's would key on LJ, we could just have Bre......uh.......Aaron Rodgers throw the ball to Dona......Greg Jenn.........uh.........SOMEONE!

I'm with ya on everything but trading Hawk and the "20 years" part cheesy. In this day and age it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years to rebuild a team to make it competitive if you have the right person making the player decisions. :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

I'm with ya on everything but trading Hawk and the "20 years" part cheesy. In this day and age it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years to rebuild a team to make it competitive if you have the right person making the player decisions. :thumbsup:
Dats true.......ok........we will throw in Aaron Kampman, Charles Woodson, and a all day pass to the Wisconsin Dells! Then in 3 or 4 years we will have the nuecleus of a GREAT team. If ONLY we could get Millen to come here to run the team.........or one of the other great gm's that have helped build good teams elsewhere. Maybe we can see what they did in Seattle to build a decent team. :rotflmao:

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we WANT a guy who has publically stated that he wouldn't want to end his career as a Packer? (That has been printed elsewhere.) If he was here, would he continue to have the fire and desire to succeed that it takes, if he disliked the town and the team? Unlikely, IMO. Big money and important draft picks(or players) for a disgruntled player? A recipe for disaster.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why would we WANT a guy who has publically stated that he wouldn't want to end his career as a Packer? (That has been printed elsewhere.)

It's 4am and I'm tired off my ***, but are we still talking about Larry Johnson? If so, I'd like to read this article where he says he wouldn't end his career as a Packer.

I'm 99.9% he won't ever even be a Packer, but I'd just like to see how this came up and his exact words if possible.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Note the highlighted deal... why would Peterson ask for less now.. if that price tag (trade value) remains... this is a dead topic.

After reading a little more of this interview and some of his comments... getting paid, always being anger / upset, and the excuses on pass blocking... well I think I am swinging more in the maybe LJ isn't a good fit here.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/163009.html

Larry Johnson interview, Part 2

For a player with such remarkable God-given talent and incredible accomplishments, Larry Johnson has never really been a football star. That was the second conclusion I reached after Johnson, his agent, Alvin Keels, and I shared lunch at the Hereford House early this week.

Thursday in The Star, during Part 1 of my Q&A with Johnson, I focused on the brewing training-camp holdout that Johnson may stage to leverage his way into a better contract. Today, we’ll focus more on Johnson as a person, not a football player.

But you have to understand Johnson’s football history to understand the brooding personality that he believes makes him a great player.

He didn’t catch a football break until his senior year of high school, and then he went to Penn State and got humbled by big-time football and bigger-time football politics. He rushed for 2,000 yards as a college senior and then ran into a legendary NFL coach who didn’t want him.

Now, coming off back-to-back 1,700-yard rushing seasons, Johnson found himself on the trading block this offseason. According to NFL experts, the Chiefs offered Johnson to several teams. The Packers expressed the most interest but eventually balked at a draft-day deal that would have cost the Pack their first-, second- and third-round picks.

“I think it made Larry realize how real the business side of football is in the NFL,” Keels said of the trade talks. “He saw firsthand that the Chiefs would do what’s in the best interest of the organization, so, therefore, it’s made him aware that in the future he has to do what’s in the best interest of Larry Johnson.”

Here’s the second part of my 150-minute interview with Larry Johnson. On Sunday, I’ll offer my opinion on Johnson and his contract situation. On Thursday, a spokesman for the Chiefs said the organization had “no comment” on Johnson’s statement that he’s preparing for a training-camp holdout.

Question: Larry, you do understand there’s a responsibility that goes along with being the highest-paid player?

Johnson: “Me and Herm talked about that.”

Question: Are you ready to accept the responsibility that goes along with being the highest-paid player?

Johnson: “I can adjust to it because there’s nothing left for me to fight for. There’s no sense in me fighting upstairs, no sense in me fighting coaches, ain’t no sense in me fighting other things that go on. Having this contract done, my future is secure now, I can play football, be a leader, try to get this Super Bowl ring, get into the Pro Bowl a couple more times and maybe get into the Hall of Fame when my career is done. After I get this contract, there’s nothing else to worry about.”

Question: You’re showing some maturity in recent months. Are you going to change again when you get your money?

Johnson: “Regardless of whether I get this money or not, I’m going to still be me. But I’m going to do it where I’m not embarrassing myself, I’m not embarrassing my teammates and I’m not trying to look like I’m after something once I get this money. The money is going to set me up for my kids and my future. Yeah, I’m going to buy me a nice toy, a new car. And that’s it. And then I’m going to set up for my family after that. Money doesn’t change me.”

Question: There’s a concern that some players play with less intensity once they get a huge contract. Will that happen to you?

Johnson: “Receivers can do that (stuff) because all they have to do is jog through some routes. I can’t do that because I have 10 other guys trying to hit me and kill for me to do that. I have too much pride. That’s embarrassing to me. At the end of the day, the media, Carl Peterson and Herm can say whatever they want to, but I gotta answer to my father. That’s the main person I’m trying to impress. I have way too much pride for that.”

Question: Are you angry about something, and if so why?

Johnson: “I’m always angry about something. My dad will tell you I was a moody kid when I was growing up. That’s just who I was — I was a moody kid. There was always something bothering me. When I was a kid, even if we won the game, if I felt like I didn’t do something right, he knew I would be upset the rest of the day. A lot of that comes from me always putting pressure on myself. I was always under that pressure as a child, and there was always that anger that was inside of me. It’s just something that can’t leave for me to always want to be the best.

“It always comes out in the worst times and at a time when it’s not appropriate. I know that part. It was just the way I was raised being in a coach’s household, everybody expects you to be better than your dad growing up or be just like your dad growing up. I had to live with that when I was 9.

“Then going to college, I had to bite my tongue on a lot of stuff because of my dad. I’m always going to be upset that I didn’t get to play four years at Penn State. I’m going to be upset that I had to switch high schools to try to be recruited, to try and pass my SATs and get into college. I’m always going to be upset that when I came to Kansas City I didn’t get to play. I’m always going to be upset about that.”

Question: You do realize that’s unhealthy?

Johnson: “I mean, yeah. I’ve been kind of doing better with that. A lot of people are surprised to see me smile more than I used to. My life used to be: what I wanted and what I was getting were miles apart. Now it’s like right here (very close). Now I can be a little more at ease about where I am.”

Question: OK, but I want you to understand that being angry is physically unhealthy and can affect your life expectancy.

Johnson: “I’m definitely a lot better than I was a year ago.”

Question: Leadership, what does it mean to you?

Johnson: “I’m not a talkative person. If anything I’d rather be a leader by example, as far as what I do on the football field. I’ve always been a leader by example. That’s the biggest thing to me. Guys can talk all day, but then go out there and drop 10 balls or miss six or seven blocks.”

Question: How come you don’t block well?

Johnson: “I have to watch three people on every pass play. That’s why when T. Rich was here they started taking me out on third downs, because I have to watch three people on every single pass play. When you look at San Diego, you barely see LaDainian Tomlinson pass-block. I can pass-block. Sometimes I’m going to mess up. DBs, I can block all day. Linebackers, that’s a different breed of animal. I can cut-block ’em.

“Really this (stuff) came from **** Vermeil. When I first got into camp, he said the reason we don’t play him is because of my blocking. That stuck with me from then to all the way up to that Dallas Cowboys game when I — first time I ever tried to cut — tried to cut (Scott) Fujita. I tried to cut him on his wrong side. I tried to cut him with my left shoulder and all he had to do was sweep around me. I had bad technique, and Trent coughed the ball up. But nobody said nothing the same year when I had to block Shawne Merriman 100 times in a row, and he never once got to the quarterback.”

Question: Explain your relationship with rapper Jay-Z.

Johnson: “A lot of people don’t know that goes beyond me just wearing his clothes. I could switch to Nike tomorrow and Jay would be completely cool with it. There are only a couple of athletes Jay-Z was cool enough to let in his little small circle of people that he calls friends. It’s me, LeBron and that’s about it. It’s a real tight group. It goes beyond me just wearing clothes. We’ve become friends now. If I wanted to do Nike or Reebok or anything else, he would have input, but he would never say ‘OK, I can’t (mess) with you no more because of that.’ He’s never been that way. We just happened to hit it off.”

Question: How does your association with Jay-Z affect your vision of how you see yourself as an athlete and an individual?

Johnson: “I don’t think it really affects me other than the fact I just know him. If anything when people mention me, of course, they mention him.”

Question: Is Jay-Z a mentor, someone who shapes your view on how to conduct business?

Johnson: “He definitely did that. Between me and you, he definitely didn’t want me to do that Fantasia video. I definitely got cussed out for that one. He told me there were a lot of things he wanted to do, but he couldn’t do them. He said, ‘You gotta be able to look at yourself as a business, as stock, and the less things you do, the more people will have interest in you. The more things you do, you water down your value.’ ”

Question: What do you want to accomplish as a football player?

Johnson: “I’m not a numbers guy. I’m not trying to rush for 2,000 yards or score so many touchdowns. My whole thing when I started playing football is to try and bring the old-school-mentality guys back. When people mention me, I want them to mention Jim Brown, Eric ****erson, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers. That’s what I really play football for is the fun of that. I don’t really do it to be the richest, how many rushing yards I can get. I’d like to be mentioned with that group of guys.”

Question: What characteristics do the old-school running backs have that you respect?

Johnson: “Jim Brown was a player who didn’t take (stuff). Those guys really lived when racism was really around. Jim Brown stood up for Muhammad Ali. That’s what I like about old-school guys. You don’t see that anymore. They really stood up and did what they wanted to do.”

Question: What does Larry Johnson stand for?

Johnson: “I just stand up for people who want to be themselves. If you see something wrong, don’t be afraid to stand up and point them out. A lot of guys see what’s wrong, but they don’t say anything about it. People who stand up turn out to be the greatest people in this country — Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, guys who stood up for what they believed in.”

Question: Do you feel like you’re a part of anything bigger than just Larry Johnson?

Johnson: “Not right now. I don’t have that status to do something like that. It’ll take me a couple of more years, but I really want to point out the undercover racism that is everywhere.

“And I really like to help young black kids who really think it’s cool to look up to certain rappers because they think it’s cool at that time. They think it’s cool that they can’t put on a suit and tie. They think it’s corny to look nice. They can’t go to school without having a white T down to their knees. That’s what I’m really trying to fight as far as that image that they can’t dress up. It’s really black youths fighting ourselves. You know, when you’re a kid, be a kid. But when you’re 27 and you still wearing a white T and baggy pants, what does that say about your life and where you’re headed?”

Pack93z

Reaction score
Another blog... nothing in the interview with Whitlock about LJ not wanting to play in Green Bay...

SHHH..HERE'S WHAT WE'RE HEARING
The current rumor du jour involves the Packers and Larry Johnson. A local TV station reported last week that the team is interested in trading for the Chiefs star running back. Here’s the problem (well, one of the problems) with that report - according to a person familiar with the situation in Kansas City, Johnson has "no desire" to finish out his career in Green Bay.....

http://pu2006.typepad.com/

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I thought this was in an article, not someone's blog. Oh well.

edit,
according to a person familiar with the situation
I love that phrase. It never gets old.

I discredit the blog entry, but I don't doubt he doesn't want to finish his career in GNB. He's a helluva talent and I don't see Ted invested anything that high into a offensive player because I believe he is under the mentality that offensive players are farmed from within, not taken from other teams like you can do with defensive players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts