Cheesehead
Reaction score
from packers.com:

Notebook: Giddy Cornerback Pushes For Starting Position

by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 09/06/2005

Joey Thomas

Feeling Fine
Cornerback Joey Thomas could not contain his exuberance in the locker room following Monday's practice.

"I'm feeling great," he said. "I'm all smiles from ear to ear."

His recovery from previous injuries had left him glowing.

Following his impressive play during organized team activities, he entered training camp as the starting left cornerback. Then calf and hip injuries sidelined him for three weeks of training camp, and Ahmad Carroll received the snaps as starter.

"I'm just getting back to where I was, coming into training camp," Thomas said. "As my health increases, the more comfortable I get, the more confident I get."

The Packers likely will not name their starting left cornerback until Sunday.

If Carroll lands the starting position, will Thomas remain content?

"No. I mean who would be happy if they're not the starter? I'm a competitor, and I expect the best out of myself," he said. "If you're happy and content with not being the starter then I think you're doing the wrong thing and you're in the wrong game."

Regardless, he ended the preseason on a high note against the Tennessee Titans, recording three tackles and one pass defended. He nailed fullback Troy Fleming in the flat, denying him a first down on a third-down pass from quarterback Steve McNair and then later forced incompletions on deep balls to Fleming and wide receiver Drew Bennett.

That performance bodes well for Thomas.

"It was solid. It was a step in the right direction," he said. "The best is yet to come."

--

It looks like Thomas will be starting. If he doesn't start Sunday, then I expect him to start in week 2. Yay. If we want any chance of winning we need carroll off the field as much as possible.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
quite frankly, thomas wants it more, and he is more talented. its all a matter of time.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the Titans game, but it sounds like Thomas has turned into a pretty fair tackler. That alone is an improvement over last year. My pet peeve is shoddy tackling.
Hammer

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
me too, hammer. i hate bad tackling..and last year..wow...lenon can tackle this year...joey...nick collins is sick at hitting people...i like our tackling this year....KGB still sucks at it..

Reaction score
You know, in all seriousness this is becoming like a SW trend with you, Trom. Not to sound rude, but your posts now always have you mentioning that you want Thomas to start. Um, yea I got you the first couple of times. And I'll be the choir again, Carroll will be alright, just give him some time. But I will give credit where credit is due, Thomas's tackling this year and last year has a difference of night and day.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I hope Thomas starts. He is the anti-Carroll. Good technique and good attitude. Carroll proved last Thursday that he still is not ready to be an NFL corner. Let him play the nickel and keep improving his technique.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just post about the latest news. and the latest news is...thomas will be starting. calm yourself. I am sorry you think carroll will pan out.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Thomas, I like his attitude. Carroll needs to pay attention to it, until he changes his, he will be picking splinters.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joey Thomas stayed in Green Bay and worked in the off season. He worked hard and improved enough for Bates to take notice. Had a set-back in TC with a few enjuries but fought back and ended the pre-season on a high note. Sounds like some maturity to me.

If Thomas does not start in game one, it will just be a matter of time before we see him in there. Thomas and Carrol may be going in different directions.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let Joey sit for this game.... make sure he really is healed.
All we'd need is for him to re-injure those muscles...

Let's make sure.... We have two others who can take up the slack for now.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not positive that JT is the answer, but like you said tromadz, many feel that the current answer is minimal play from Carroll, or at least until he matures and refines his game.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put the coaching effort into Hawkins and Thomas, two players who want to get better and are paying the price to do so.

Members online

Latest posts