More Hawk Info

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Dayton Daily News "Under the scope: Ohio State holds its annual Pro Day for NFL scouts Thursday. One prospect who might have a chip on his shoulder is A.J. Hawk. The Centerville alum had a mediocre showing at last month's combine in Indy, bench-pressing 225 pounds just 24 times. That's great for most folks, but consider this: Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler did 23 reps. Strange, because Hawk strikes me as a guy who spends a lot of time in the gym. Hawk's time in the 40-yard dash — 4.6 seconds — didn't blow away the scouts, either. FYI: Miami University linebacker Terna Nande did 41 reps of 225."

This doesn't sound good! Again, it makes me think there are a lot of LBs in the draft who would be just as good as Hawk, but cost the team much less. Is he another outstanding college player who's skills don't transfer to the NFL?? Of course, you hate to discount his past playing accomplishments, but these anemic #s have to put doubt in a number of team's minds.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that if he ever runs into a flat bench on the football field and is asked to bench press 225 lbs before he tackles the RB, he's in trouble! Other than that, he'll be a solid NFL linebacker IMO...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that LB in the NFL is more of a cerebral position than most. ie correct angles proper form tackling and other stuff. I would not place alot of value on combine results.

I think the combine is bunk anyway. when these guys run the 40's should have them suited up.

Also for positions like RB should have them do an obstacle course first like check for things like burst change of direction then sideline speed. I think you would find that would be a better indicator.

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good pts and I agree w/ points on both sides of the argument. However, this is a deep draft for LBs and of course there is always FA. I just don't see Hawk being a difference maker.....someone an opponent will have to game plan for. I would think he'd be a lot like Kampman.....a very nice player who will be a solid contributor. While that shouldn't be overlooked, I'm not sure that's what you want w/ a number 5 pick?? Couldn't you find that later in the draft @ a much lower cost?? Williams seems like the obvious pick to me. Hopefully, GB will have both of them available when they pick and the insight and luck to pick the right one.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
All good pts and I agree w/ points on both sides of the argument. However, this is a deep draft for LBs and of course there is always FA. I just don't see Hawk being a difference maker.....someone an opponent will have to game plan for. I would think he'd be a lot like Kampman.....a very nice player who will be a solid contributor. While that shouldn't be overlooked, I'm not sure that's what you want w/ a number 5 pick?? Couldn't you find that later in the draft @ a much lower cost?? Williams seems like the obvious pick to me. Hopefully, GB will have both of them available when they pick and the insight and luck to pick the right one.

Agreed - totally.... solid post! If I had my druthers - AJ Hawk can go to another Team, without much of a sweat - the Packers aren't going to have to game plan for him like they might have to for an Urlacher, etc. (It's just an example)

I vote we go after Mario Williams, hands down! He's got the size, and the speed - only true NFL tactical talent is missing, and the fundamentals of the NFL can certainly be taught to this guy - he's already not that far off, as it is. It's about time, we had a Julius Peppers type on "our" Team, for a change.

Some say Mario takes plays off -- I have yet to see a SportsWriter actually put that in print - if you have a link, post it on this thread.

I'm focusing on two facts ----

• 1. He's being compared to both Peppers & Reggie White
    2. He's speaking out about a "desire" to come to Green Bay
[#2-reference] that's right when a MAJORITY of NFL Players around the League are constantly saying the opposite. ie: it's un-cool to go to Green Bay (course, I beg to differ).

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree all points. Mario is also very young but he is also a guy that is not stuck lining up on the edge. He can play at the tack and nose slot as well. Have also heard he can play both end spots right and left. Reggie was that way and he always had to be accounted for. I say Draft Mario or trade down for vernon davis ( Stretch the field tight end ie antonio gates

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why some fans want the Packers to draft a tight end in the first round, considering that Thompson signed Bubba Franks to a long-term contract just before last season. Whatever you think of Bubba, he is here to stay and it wouldn't make sense to have two high-paid tight ends on the roster.

Anyway, I wonder how Hawk did at that Pro Day thing in Ohio. I'm still more interested in football players than I am in weightlifters and sprinters, but I expected better from Hawk at the combine.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key is take Mario Willians if he's still avialable and not because it's a position of need but rather because he will be the best player available.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right packedhouse01....it's not only a position of need but Mario Williams will be the best available at #5 as well.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mario Williams isn't available at the five position, I say trade and get more picks. My reasoning is that while others feel fine with AJ Hawk, I think there are enough linebackers further down to adequately fill the need. And as good as many seem to think he is, there is always the possibility he may turn out to be another Brian Bosworth. That would be a nightmare on the field, not to mention what it would do to a, "just now getting back to a working cap." It's a hit and miss conundrum, and we certainly don't need anymore SHERMAN TYPE "ENGINEERED MISSES!"

BACKIN PACKIN FOR WIN COLUMN STACKIN

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have difficulty believing that comment on Hawk having a mediocre workout. I watched all the combine on the NFL channel and the announcers raved about him and he was top five in every agility drill. On the passing drill he jumped way up and snared a pass due to his 40 inch vertical leap. He is gone in first 7 picks and is 10 year all pro barring injury.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why Hawk will turn out to be another Brian Bosworth. I don't see that kind of attitude from him. All indications are that he loves football and is a team player. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: It seems to me that there have been a lot more dud defensive ends than dud linebackers drafted early in the first round.

And thanks for the extra information on Hawk's performance at the combine, paxvogel. People often tend to reduce the whole thing to the 40 yard dash and the bench press, but there is a lot more going on there.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't see any reason why Hawk will turn out to be another Brian Bosworth.

Seattle didn't see any reason that Bosworth would be a dud either, but it happened, and because it did happen, even after NFL scouts projected him high on the charts, it ended up being what it was------a bust!

Now that's not to say it will be or will not be the case with Hawk. No one knows for sure. But if the Packers pick him and it turns out the same, then the end result is what I was getting at. That was my point, not whether it will or will not happen. My first choice is Mario, and if he is gone I would trade for more picks because they have many needs anyway, including LB, which, by happenstance, seems to be deep in this draft. the more picks, the better the odds.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is dropping down on a number of teams target lists. The only way I see the Packers taking Hawk is if they trade down at this point -- he is certainly not a top 5 pick.

IF Mario is there he is a lock. If Mario is gone at 5 the packers will either move down and get or may even take Safety Michael Huff Texas.

He has terrific range and excellent speed. Top recovery speed and great instincts. Can play anywhere in the backfield. Good technique with attention to the fundamentals – Very good tackler. One of the top 10 players in the draft and moving up quickly. He is a playmaker and difference maker who makes all the plays. Excellent prospect who Thompson reported loves.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does doing bench presses have to do with being a football player?

Herschel Walker not once, repeat, not once, lifted weights. He ran five miles a day, he did close to 1000 situps and more than 100 pushups each day. That's it. Think Herschel Walker was a good football player?

Football is played by football players, not weightlifting champs. A.J. Hawk is a mammoth linebacking talent, capable of turning games. The Packers would solve one huge problem if he is drafted.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Herschel Walker not once, repeat, not once, lifted weights. He ran five miles a day, he did close to 1000 situps and more than 100 pushups each day. That's it. Think Herschel Walker was a good football player?

Football is played by football players, not weightlifting champs. A.J. Hawk is a mammoth linebacking talent, capable of turning games. The Packers would solve one huge problem if he is drafted.

No one said he couldn't play football, but he did not run as fast or have anywhere near the strength of the hype that Ohio State was putting out on him. Go ahead and buy the PR hype on the guy -- but there is some history with can't miss Ohio State LBs not only missing but busting the banks of teams that didn't do there homework along the way.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
net said:

No one said he couldn't play football, but he did not run as fast or have anywhere near the strength of the hype that Ohio State was putting out on him. Go ahead and buy the PR hype on the guy -- but there is some history with can't miss Ohio State LBs not only missing but busting the banks of teams that didn't do there homework along the way.

That's right! And when you are about to write a check for millions of dollars you want to make sure the ******* is all they claim he is; otherwise, you end being the ******* with a big bill and a stupid look on your face. You know? Sorta like Sherman and his toilet paper commercials.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard tonight that the Packers are spreading rumors about the Packers not interested in any LB in the first 2 rounds and finding something "wrong" with Hawk. They have absolutely no interest in Hawk.

This time of year I believe the opposite of what teams say.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I heard tonight that the Packers are spreading rumors about the Packers not interested in any LB in the first 2 rounds and finding something "wrong" with Hawk. They have absolutely no interest in Hawk.

This time of year I believe the opposite of what teams say.

At this stage of the game it is a little like chess and poker wrapped into one, with mind games and no showing of hands to hopefully throw off would be opponents. TT is clever and skillful even at this, maybe setting up an opponent or two.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is a lock, ask Jamal Reynolds. He had the same type of hype as Williams. Williams played on a team that will have 4 or 5 defensive players taken in the first day and yet he still had games where he was not very active. My question is how will he do when it is him alone in the spotlight.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Net. In the NFL you'd better be a football player, rather than just an athlete. If Hawk can't be considered a shoo in as the best LBer in the draft, I don't know who can. He played againest the best competition in the country and never embarressed himself. I don't know if he's top five, but he IS top ten material.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I agree with Net. In the NFL you'd better be a football player, rather than just an athlete. If Hawk can't be considered a shoo in as the best LBer in the draft, I don't know who can. He played againest the best competition in the country and never embarressed himself. I don't know if he's top five, but he IS top ten material.

Retired: No one is saying he won't be a or the 1st LB picked, rather than his status as a sure top 5/6 pick has faded

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me throw a "how about this scenario" at you guys:

IMHO we draft Williams at #5 - then move KGB to LB where his speed and size would be more of an asset than DE.

Don't laugh too loud, I had too many :beer: :beer: :beer: last night.

:chug: :idea:

Members online

Latest posts