Monday night football!!

JR_Hubbard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I will be travelling to Green Bay to see the Packers Ravens game on Monday night in December. This will be a dream come true for me to be in Green Bay in the cold in December. I am a long time 49ers fan, but I have always had such a huge respect for the Packers and especially there fans. I'm hoping not to have too many snow balls thrown at me at the game...

We are trying to figure out where to stay to avoid driving.
Where to watch football on Sunday.
What kind of pre-game activities there are on Monday.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We will be there From Saturday evening until Tuesday morning.

Thanks in advance!

JR

OP
OP
J

JR_Hubbard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They sure will struggle if they are supposed to be playing on Sunday and someone expects them on Monday...

I picked a game where they weren't playing the Niner's so I could cheer for the Pack and feel good about it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Fact: Outside of the powder blue Chargers, the 49ers new jerseys are the best in the NFL. Understated and classy.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out Marty's Boston and Crab. It is an awesome place to go for pre-game and has all you can eat and drink for $35 with free parking and rides to the game.

I went there a few years back and got loaded up on shrimp while the wife had crab legs. Loved the all you can drink Coors Light as well or you can have bloody mary's.

If you can, make a trip down to Appleton if you want to do some shopping the Fox River Mall puts Bay Park Square to shame.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I believe Marty's hosts Green Bay Gameday on Sportsradio 107.5 starting like 3 hours or so before the game, so you'd hear some great Packer talk as well.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...and Jess is correct. Marty's does indeed host Gameday. The food is fantastic.

Finding a close hotel/motel in or around Green Bay/Ashwaubenon after the schedule is released is always a challenge...and there really aren't any except the Midway Motor Lodge (Best Western) that is in the heart of the Packers complex (that includes the might fine row of taverns on Holmgren Way that will serve up some prime Sunday game watching.

You'll find that almost all of the Hotels have courtesy vans/buses that will get you to the stadium or to the StadiumView - now, getting them to come pick you up after the game might be a challenge unless you saunter back over to the StadiumView until the traffic clears out - then they'll dispatch the courtesy van to the bar (Speaking of which, right next door to the StadiumView is "The Bar" - right down the street is Brett Favre Pass, at the end of which you'll find his restaurant - superior Bloody Marys.

You and I could be mirror-image-brothers because my second favorite NFL franchise after the Pack (went to my first game at age 7 in 1965) has always been the 49'ers. As a kid, I used to love watching Brodie air it out to Gene Washington.

Incidentally, you can wear your 9'er gear to Lambeau without fearing being pistol whipped. Unlike Philly where some turd told me to take my leather Packer jacket off in their house. (I told him to kiss off, the jacket cost more than he probably made in a week). Granted, drunken stadium a-holes are everywhere, but if you're respectful to the fans around you, you'll find that they'll respond in kind. If you talk crap too much...one of the local farm boys might just haul off and paste you one. Tell nearly any of the tailgaters in the parking lot or surrounding areas that it's your first trip to Lambeau and you'll be force-fed brats and beer or whatever they've got going on their grills.

The first visit there is always particularly special. I remember the first time I took my then 7-year-old son to a game... how as we walked the ramp into the seating area his eyes widened to the size of half dollars as he breathlessly said... "Awwwww Dad, coooool". I remember feeling that way as my Dad walked me into my first game ... the very game where City Stadium was re-named Lambeau Field - only the first thing I remember saying was: "Hey Dad ... who are the guys in Green?" No kidding... we only had a black and white television set.

God, enjoy yourself and enjoy the atmosphere. There really isn't anything quite like the place - even when it was surrounded in green sheet metal. I've been to 14 NFL stadiums ... and have never encountered anything like it -- even 45 years after my first visit.

MichPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do a game or two a year & always stay at Days Inn, just a block from Lambeau. Not fancy, but clean, comfortable and friendly. Most of the rooms are sold via ticket brokers. Gene Lefebre 920--655-8888 or Jim McHugh 920-702-4008. Both very solid, honest guys.
The best sports bar, IMHO, is Anduzzi's Sports Club. Not as crazy as the Stadium View, good food, easier to watch the other games. But they all are part of the Lambeau Experience, so check them out. Curley's Pub in the stadium is a must for a first timer. Also pretty good food, but the lines are usually long for a table. Best bet is getting lucky for a table in the bar area. WTMJ does their post game shows from Curley's. It's open 7 days, so sometimes a better choice a day before or after a game. Have a great time at Lambeau. It's a fantastic experience!

Members online

Latest posts