MM tells media Packers will remain 3-4 defense...

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

... with some changes that may not be noticeable. :confused:

I'm hoping he's talking about the scheme there, not the results.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't doubt that the Packers would stay with the 3-4.
I'm hoping we see some BIG changes in their play in 2014.

I posted this because there was some discussion on the forum about the idea of the Packers changing to a 4-3.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of talent there needs to be better tackling, more intensity and mental discipline.
right, but lack of those abilities sticks with us since our SB run. Throw in the disability to stay healthy and you get the picture.

Anyway, I really think we're in need of "some changes that may not be noticeable." A possible first big step didn't happen, but those changes include the Draft as well as the FA. Way to early to throw away the next season ;)

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need guys that can play better as well as pick things up faster, or have a higher football IQ. Either that or Dom needs to dumb down his playbook because these guys make too many mental mistakes. A couple safeties that can knock the s*** out of some receivers (legally of course) would be nice as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the very small amount of padded practices available nowadays, I think the best way to tackle well is to find guys who can already do it.
I wish more high school football players were steered towards wrestling and the hell away from basketball. Nothing (aside from tackling itself) can teach you how to tackle better than wresting. You learn every possible way to move a body that does not want to be moved. You can't unlearn a double or single leg takedown and to have that embedded in your brain should tremendously help you tackle.

Hell....send these guys to the olympic training center or even the University of Iowa for a special wrestling camp to learn some of this stuff.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wish more high school football players were steered towards wrestling and the hell away from basketball. Nothing (aside from tackling itself) can teach you how to tackle better than wresting. You learn every possible way to move a body that does not want to be moved. You can't unlearn a double or single leg takedown and to have that embedded in your brain should tremendously help you tackle.

Hell....send these guys to the olympic training center or even the University of Iowa for a special wrestling camp to learn some of this stuff.
Agree 100%. From junior high through high school a group of us on the football team trained with the wrestling team. The strength and knowledge of moves and leverage learned was very valuable. And done anywhere but in Green Bay it would be a low injury risk way of training.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree 100%. From junior high through high school a group of us on the football team trained with the wrestling team. The strength and knowledge of moves and leverage learned was very valuable. And done anywhere but in Green Bay it would be a low injury risk way of training.
This is where Mike Daniels and Hyde become the leaders they want to be. Gather up the boys and take take them to Iowa for a weekend camp once the Iowa wrestling season is over. This would be like the wr's or qb's who gather up their teammates and go workout and do 7 on 7's or such in the offseason.

Someone with a twitter account...go shoot each of them a tweet about this.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are right.
Wrestling and football go hand in hand.
Scott Wells was a wrestler, that's why he was such a tough SOB.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why weren't you on the wrestling team?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why weren't you on the wrestling team?
I remember one of the high school assistant wrestling coaches was pissed we weren't. We didn't attend all the practices or the away meets so it was a matter of not wanting to make the time commitment. We didn't have to worry about making weight and I was a much better football player than a wrestler.

H

HardRightEdge

This is where Mike Daniels and Hyde become the leaders they want to be. Gather up the boys and take take them to Iowa for a weekend camp once the Iowa wrestling season is over. This would be like the wr's or qb's who gather up their teammates and go workout and do 7 on 7's or such in the offseason.

Someone with a twitter account...go shoot each of them a tweet about this.

I fail to see how wrestling transfers to the play of LBs, DBs or edge rushing DEs. Those guys are tackling on the run. Their game is mostly about burst and/or foot speed, angles, instincts and impacts.

Wrestling skills seem like they would transfer to the O-Line more than anything else where control coupled with leverage is important. I see D-Tackle as less transferable where the initial moves are more about escape (getting off the block) than control.

As for high school, surely the football coaches would prefer their guys to be doing something other than playing video games in the off season. For anybody but the linemen, and particularly the skill positions, basketball makes more sense where speed, quickness, hand/eye coordination and ball skills can be kept sharp.

As for the pro guys getting together, I believe there are union rules limiting organized activities regardless of whether team officials are involved. Also, contracts are voidable if injuries are sustained while engaging in certain non-team activities deemed dangerous. Wrestling might be one of those.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO wrestling skills definitely transfer to OL, DL, TE, and LBs – any players who regularly block or try to get off blocks. It’s also a great workout: IMO free weights are step beyond machine weight training, and wrestling is step beyond free weights regarding functional strength. And it’s great for building endurance. While organized wrestling training for NFL players won’t happen, I think it’s great individual training.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to see how wrestling transfers to the play of LBs, DBs or edge rushing DEs. Those guys are tackling on the run. Their game is mostly about burst and/or foot speed, angles, instincts and impacts.

Wrestling skills seem like they would transfer to the O-Line more than anything else where control coupled with leverage is important. I see D-Tackle as less transferable where the initial moves are more about escape (getting off the block) than control.

As for high school, surely the football coaches would prefer their guys to be doing something other than playing video games in the off season. For anybody but the linemen, and particularly the skill positions, basketball makes more sense where speed, quickness, hand/eye coordination and ball skills can be kept sharp.

As for the pro guys getting together, I believe there are union rules limiting organized activities regardless of whether team officials are involved. Also, contracts are voidable if injuries are sustained while engaging in certain non-team activities deemed dangerous. Wrestling might be one of those.
Balance, dedication to conditioning, mental toughness, and aggressiveness.
Wrestlers are the most dedicated, finely tuned athletes in the world.
If I was recruiting for virtually anything, from a ditch digger to a doctor I would pick someone with a wrestling background every time.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

YES!!

I've been a wrestler since second grade and through college and couldn't agree more. I played football in junior high and was one of the best tacklers on the team despite literally being the smallest. I don't think that was a coincidence. I didn't play football in high school, but my high school's football team was in the state finals twice in recent years. Both seasons, wrestlers were among the team's best and most contributing players.

I can tell you how it relates. A double leg takedown would be absolutely perfect tackling technique even when running, especially for guys who end up playing football at high levels as the higher weight wrestlers tend to do double legs without dropping the knees to the mat (a blast double). It's basically put the head in the middle of the guys chest a run straight through him. They see an opportunity when the wrestler gets out of position and strike quickly or don't score. Just like seeing a running back come at a LB. The LB has to strike quickly in good position or not make the tackle.

"Burst and/or foot speed, angles, instincts and impacts." That's a perfect description of what wrestling on the feet requires. Search a video of Jordan Burroughs or the NCAA finals and you'll see all of those.

Secondly, wrestling is just as much about not getting controlled as gaining control. Wrestlers are constantly put into positions in which they have to work out of, even on the feet. Nobody can be a good wrestler without learning to fight out of positions. I could have fantastic hold and shot, but if my opponent gets a hold of me first and I can't get out, I'm screwed.

Also, regardless of football position, wrestling is all one on one competition. It's a fight with rules and requires a lot of toughness to be good at it. Winning on the d-line and getting off blocks on defense is all about winning the one on one battle and many times is a battle of toughness. A wrestler can have all the talent in the world, but won't win without toughness.

Plus, the endurance, balance, all the the other things other posters have mentioned. Wrestlers do a lot of different lifting and condition drills such as carrying a partner for a mile and warming up with flips and handsprings. Those will help anyone train, regardless of sport even.

On a different note, for the guys who've already wrestled and had to cut weight, (not going to advocate this guys should cut weight now for no reason) nothing builds mental toughness like going through intense training while cutting back fluids. I'll never forget the day in school I told my coach I was 10lbs. over right before practice the day before a meet hoping he'd just let me not compete the next day and all he said was, "Well, that sucks." Nothing training wise really felt difficult after getting through that experience.

Wrestling is great for football in many ways.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need guys that can play better as well as pick things up faster, or have a higher football IQ. Either that or Dom needs to dumb down his playbook because these guys make too many mental mistakes. A couple safeties that can knock the s*** out of some receivers (legally of course) would be nice as well.

Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford would also love to go against a dumb downed playbook.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And if you can finish a takedown with a wrestler doing the countless things he can do to stop it, you can finish a tackle.

Attending an Iowa practice would probably be an eye opening experience as far as intensity of training for many football players.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES!!

I've been a wrestler since second grade and through college and couldn't agree more. I played football in junior high and was one of the best tacklers on the team despite literally being the smallest. I don't think that was a coincidence. I didn't play football in high school, but my high school's football team was in the state finals twice in recent years. Both seasons, wrestlers were among the team's best and most contributing players.

I can tell you how it relates. A double leg takedown would be absolutely perfect tackling technique even when running, especially for guys who end up playing football at high levels as the higher weight wrestlers tend to do double legs without dropping the knees to the mat (a blast double). It's basically put the head in the middle of the guys chest a run straight through him. They see an opportunity when the wrestler gets out of position and strike quickly or don't score. Just like seeing a running back come at a LB. The LB has to strike quickly in good position or not make the tackle.

"Burst and/or foot speed, angles, instincts and impacts." That's a perfect description of what wrestling on the feet requires. Search a video of Jordan Burroughs or the NCAA finals and you'll see all of those.

Secondly, wrestling is just as much about not getting controlled as gaining control. Wrestlers are constantly put into positions in which they have to work out of, even on the feet. Nobody can be a good wrestler without learning to fight out of positions. I could have fantastic hold and shot, but if my opponent gets a hold of me first and I can't get out, I'm screwed.

Also, regardless of football position, wrestling is all one on one competition. It's a fight with rules and requires a lot of toughness to be good at it. Winning on the d-line and getting off blocks on defense is all about winning the one on one battle and many times is a battle of toughness. A wrestler can have all the talent in the world, but won't win without toughness.

Plus, the endurance, balance, all the the other things other posters have mentioned. Wrestlers do a lot of different lifting and condition drills such as carrying a partner for a mile and warming up with flips and handsprings. Those will help anyone train, regardless of sport even.

On a different note, for the guys who've already wrestled and had to cut weight, (not going to advocate this guys should cut weight now for nowreason) nothing builds mental toughness like going through intense training while cutting back fluids. I'll never forget the day in school I told my coach I was 10lbs. over right before practice the day before a meet hoping he'd just let me not compete the next day and all he said was, "Well, that sucks." Nothing training wise really felt difficult after getting through that experience.

Wrestling in great for football in many ways.
This is one of the finest posts I have read on any forum.
Thank you!