MM says Lang is best suited to play guard

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...rt=NFL&id=5343[URL=

Not sure if MM is using this for a motivation purposes to help Spitz and Colledge make up their minds, or is this the best move for the Packers regardless the mind set of Colledge?

Colledge is really taking a risk here, MM usually does say things unless he means them, likes to stay out of the contract issues.

IMO I believe the Packers are going to put the best 5 lineman on the field, finding a backup LT in the draft and hope someone can backup Tauscher who is already on the roster, leaving Lang a starting role to be won by him without any concern of shuffling around.

Colledge and Spitz have never broken through in their 4 years like Sitton has. I believe if not one or both maybe going somewhere else next year.

IMO this is MM's way of saying the train has left the building.

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me with Lang's lack of athletism and his short arms. He can't be any worse than Colledge who I don't think has any business starting in the NFL. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a chance. Either way we are in need of two future tackles in the worst possible way.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played very well at LT and RT.

I think this is more about sending a message to Colledge than anything else.

I agree that he's not a fit for the LT, but he is for the RT spot.

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played very well at LT and RT.

I think this is more about sending a message to Colledge than anything else.

I agree that he's not a fit for the LT, but he is for the RT spot.

He played good AT TIMEs! He was terrible against Minny this last year when CC missed both games with injury. He started the second Minny game and the whole 4th quarter in the first game at LT. In those 5 quarters Allen got a Safety and 5 sacks. I think he would be ok as a quick fix at either tackle position but I don't think he is a permanent answer. I'd rather put him at LG which has had a revolving door. He has all the tools to be a very good guard.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played good AT TIMEs! He was terrible against Minny this last year when CC missed both games with injury. He started the second Minny game and the whole 4th quarter in the first game at LT. In those 5 quarters Allen got a Safety and 5 sacks. I think he would be ok as a quick fix at either tackle position but I don't think he is a permanent answer. I'd rather put him at LG which has had a revolving door. He has all the tools to be a very good guard.
That's not true. OL Perception/Reality l Packers Lounge

In that MN game, T.J. Lang was directly responsible for one sack, and partially responsible for another one.

If you think a Rookie playing against one of the elite pass rushers, that hadn't practiced at LT, and still only gave up one sack by himself did poorly, then we have a different concept of terrible...

And yet I'm not advocating for him being at LT, but for RT. He'll have one year more of experience (which is the norm for rookie tackles, that they usually can only handle the job with one year) and one year of putting weight.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang is a much better fit at RT than Barbre. Barbre is just plain awful!
I know MM likes to have multiple positional players on our OL, but it has got to a point where we need that excels at a position than a player who is so so on 3 positions.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me personally.......I think Lang is going to end up at right tackle. We will probably draft a Left Tackle and a Guard........Barbre will get cut and Colledge probably will eventually. I can't see Colledge playing for the Packers in 2011.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think Colledge has had every chance to prove that he is our future at LG. Sure he can be a backup for our line, even in multiple positions possibly, however he is not a starting caliber OL.

As far as Lang goes, he would probably be a pretty great LG and if he goes in that direction than all the more better for us. However I do also like his prospects as a starting RT and as a backup LT, so this is a difficult decision to make. It's all going to depend on what we do in the draft.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a rookie, Lang was terrific. Unlike Colledge, he hits somebody across from him on every play, which seems to me important when you're a lineman. It would be nice if teh coaches could decide who's a tackle, who's a guard. Nothing much has changed in 4 years with Campen at the helm. This year's line: Clifton, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher. When Clifton goes down it'll be Lang on the left with a big drop-off.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a rookie, Lang was terrific. Unlike Colledge, he hits somebody across from him on every play, which seems to me important when you're a lineman. It would be nice if teh coaches could decide who's a tackle, who's a guard. Nothing much has changed in 4 years with Campen at the helm. This year's line: Clifton, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher. When Clifton goes down it'll be Lang on the left with a big drop-off.

Lang made two critical pancake blocks against the Cardinals DE in the wildcard game, I wish I had clips of those. Lang definitely has the skillset to play on the left side of the line. It may not be at LT but I can definitely see him as a guard.

Members online