MINICAMP WATCH

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that I know is that the chemistry of a team is vital to wining. Teams who have good chemistry win. Teams who are building but don't yet have great talent can win with good chemistry. Teams who don't have it don't win. Look at what is happening in Cincinnati. So as I sit back and read all these comments on the first mini camp I'm impressed that everyone showed up that as supposed to be there. I like how McCarthy put his foot down because I think your boss has to have control of his team.

The OTA's concern me however. I know they are supposedly voluntary. When you have veterans who have already spoken up and said, "I'm not coming to any of those", I think that can lead to bad chemistry and I think it sets a tone for the young players to do the same thing as they become established in this league. That can lead to bad chemistry. And truthfully, that concerns me. I'm not sure what can be done about those OTA's, but I wonder if they're voluntary if they are then necessary? Does the absence of star veterans offset the good that can be done in the hope of blending the young and veteran talent?

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ONE OF THOSE....

Top Hat's editorial: I informed the moderators and the administrator about this "Zero...", offending this well known Packer fan. As usual, the truth is upside down about a "kid in college" with a vendetta against somebody twice his age, an established writer. Amusing and laughable. For the fans, my regrets about no actions taken till now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: ONE OF THOSE....

Top Hat's editorial: I informed the moderators and the administrator about this "Zero...", offending this well known Packer fan. As usual, the truth is upside down about a "kid in college" with a vendetta against somebody twice his age, an established writer. Amusing and laughable. For the fans, my regrets about no actions taken till now.

Well known? oooooooooooook
Kid? lol
Vendetta? shhhure
Twice my age? You're in your 50's an still can not ... oh nm
Your fans? lol

Your third person talk is outdated and boring. For some one who claims they are an "established writer" you have terrible grammar. (suppose i have no room to talk, then again i never claimed to be an established writer). I should apologize for offending you. Instead of embarrassing you publicly like this I should have sent you a PM with advice on how to post articles on a discussion forum and perhaps advised that their person referencing is very distasteful. Then again, I'm just a "kid", I doubt you'd listen.

Drammit, I did it again. I derailed the thread further. D'oh.

Back to mini camp talk. I so far am only intrigued about Rodgers arm strength improving and am impressed at the lengths he's going through to become better.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE QUANTIFIERS

Compound nouns made with SOME, ANY and NO

Some + -thing -body -one -where
Any +
No +

Compound nouns with some- and any- are used in the same way as some and any.

Positive statements:

Someone is sleeping in my bed.
He saw something in the garden.
I left my glasses somewhere in the house.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ferrgie is ALREADY INJURED?

I've been one to support him the entire off-season, saying he'd come through... but this is f'n silly.

And interesting note on Barbre at LG, I'd have thought he would be drafted as a LT.

I don't think Robert's foot is entirely healed from last season.

maybe colledge will be moved to tackle

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Let's end this by agreeing that no one is a total slapnuts. We are all good at something.

Now I am going to go watch the Brewers game and have a cold beer down at the Roman Coin on Brady Street. Anyone want to join me?

R.P.

I have my opinion. You have yours. We are not gonna agree yours is more true than mine simply because you don't share the opinion I do. Nice try, but no.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Let's end this by agreeing that no one is a total slapnuts. We are all good at something.

Now I am going to go watch the Brewers game and have a cold beer down at the Roman Coin on Brady Street. Anyone want to join me?

R.P.
Sure, Ive been there many times.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE QUANTIFIERS

Compound nouns made with SOME, ANY and NO

Some + -thing -body -one -where
Any +
No +

Compound nouns with some- and any- are used in the same way as some and any.

Positive statements:

Someone is sleeping in my bed.
He saw something in the garden.
I left my glasses somewhere in the house.
I took the guy that was sleeping in your bed and buried him in your garden!
Oh......and I found your glasses under the bed!
(J/K!)
Had to try to get some humor in this thread! (I didn't say i accomplished it, just that i tried!)LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

I have my opinion. You have yours. We are not gonna agree yours is more true than mine simply because you don't share the opinion I do. Nice try, but no.

How silly of me Zero, you are right you have your opinion, and that opinion is (Based on your post.) Some people are useless at every thing they do.

I am going to take your word for it, and trust you.

Tomorrow is the beginning of a new week. I am going to take your philosophy and run with it all week long. I will look for the uselessness in every person I meet.

If the waitress spills my soup when she puts it down at the table, I shall consider her a possible snapnuts. If I see an old man stumble when he gets up from his chair at a coffee shop I will smile and say: "There is an old Snapnuts they never change." If I see a child learning to ride a two wheel bike for the first time and fall. I will say to myself, "Yep you betcha... Zero was right.... There is a Snapnuts born every minute."

It will be a great week. I look forward to looking for the negative in every person on every day of next week.

It might, perhaps like it might for you, make me feel better about my own life by putting other people down and stating they are useless at everything they do.

Thank you so much for your insight.

You are an inspiration.

Your friend,

R.P.

Reaction score
Some practice notes by Tom Pelissero of Packersnews.com

-- Offensive and defensive linemen caught punts from a machine as part of a ball security drill. Guard Junius Coston was the only player to muff his chance, though defensive tackle Corey Williams fumbled while running the gauntlet.

-- Receiver Robert Ferguson dunked a ball over the crossbar in the north end zone while teammates went through passing drills. Coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week that Ferguson, recovering from a mid-foot sprain, should participate in organized team activities.

-- Fullback Corey White, an undrafted rookie from UAB who turned heads all weekend with his speed, took most of his reps today at halfback.

-- With starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson (excused absence) and Al Harris (back) out for the second consecutive practice, Will Blackmon and Patrick Dendy again practiced with the first-team defense. Frank Walker and Jarrett Bush got time at nickelback.

-- Guard Jason Spitz sat out again. McCarthy had said Spitz tweaked his back during the first minicamp practice Friday but said today that Spitz is nursing a calf injury.

-- Tight end Donald Lee took all the first repetitions with the starting offense, and Tory Humphrey also was ahead of veteran Bubba Franks at times.

-- A large group of running backs and receivers rotated in with the first-team offense during team periods. Vernand Morency continued to take all first reps, with rookie Brandon Jackson absent for the third straight day.

-- Rookie James Jones had an ugly drop during the first team period. After breaking free from coverage, his body became twisted, and Ingle Martin's pass bounced hard off his hands as Jones fell to the ground.

-- Martin connected with second-year receiver Shaun Bodiford on the play of the day. Bodiford outran Blackmon down the right sideline, and Martin hit him in stride inside the 10-yard line.

-- Reserve safety Charlie Peprah got an interception off a Dendy deflection during the first team period. Rookie quarterback Paul Thompson nearly threw another interception on his next pass, but Walker couldn't hold on. Walker also dropped a Brett Favre pass -- three throws after A.J. Hawk picked off Favre in the end zone -- during a 7-on-7 red zone period.

-- Hawk made an athletic play for his interception, stepping underneath Ruvell Martin and snatching the underthrown ball with both hands.

-- The competition between kickers Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby won't heat up until training camp, but they got their first and only chance of the weekend in a team period today. Working with the coverage units, each kicked off four times. Rayner's first kick was longer than Crosby's, but the rookie equaled or outdistanced the incumbent the next three times.

-- Not even Mike Stock puts, ahem, stock into his special teamers when they're wearing shorts. But for whatever it is worth, the first group on kick coverage consisted of: Jarrett Bush, Ruvell Martin, Atari Bigby, Jason Hunter, Tracy White, Walker, Aaron Rouse, Korey Hall, Michael Montgomery and Bodiford.

-- Ingle Martin was stripped as he tried to throw in a crowd during the final team period. Guard Daryn Colledge caught the ball on the fly and ran downfield, where he promptly fumbled into the hands of Cullen Jenkins.

-- Rookie tight end Clark Harris dropped a Jerry Babb pass at the goal line during the final team period.

-- Bush batted down a fade intended for Jones on the day's final play.

-- Finally, back by popular demand, here are some mostly meaningless passing statistics from today's team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods: Favre 3-for-5 (INT); Aaron Rodgers 3-for-5; Martin 5-for-10; Babb 2-for-6; Thompson 1-for-4 (INT). Like the rest of the weekend, Favre and Rodgers only participated in 7-on-7, and only Martin took part in all periods.

WTF is it with Ferggie... he's too injured to practice, but perfectly fine to jump up and practice dunking footballs over the crossbars? :wtf:

I've been supporting him throughout the off-season, but I'm looking like an idiot right about now.

Nice to hear about Cory Hall, it'd be great to see him step up and make the roster.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

How silly of me Zero, you are right you have your opinion, and that opinion is (Based on your post.) Some people are useless at every thing they do.

I never said the user was useless at everything they do. Do not put words in my mouth. You have a different opinion than I of the user. That's it. I do not this user personally nor am I pretending to. I know of this user what was posted and I disagree with it. There's nothing I can do about it nor anything I wish to do about it. It shouldn't have gone this far, but you felt the need to butt in. You did because you are a swell guy, which is why I like you. But you cross the line when you start rambling on and on about something I never said nor implied.

Again, to be clear. I just do not like the user, period. Also, me saying someone is a slapnuts, ignorant, stupid or any other kind of name is not nearly a slam on them as one may think. I routinely call myself slapnuts, ignorant, stupid and many other names. It's harmless. Its WORDS, hell words on a screen from a man... errr a "kid"... this user will never have the fortunate opportunity to meet.

Some practice notes by Tom Pelissero of Packersnews.com

-- Offensive and defensive linemen caught punts from a machine as part of a ball security drill. Guard Junius Coston was the only player to muff his chance, though defensive tackle Corey Williams fumbled while running the gauntlet.

-- Receiver Robert Ferguson dunked a ball over the crossbar in the north end zone while teammates went through passing drills. Coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week that Ferguson, recovering from a mid-foot sprain, should participate in organized team activities.

-- Fullback Corey White, an undrafted rookie from UAB who turned heads all weekend with his speed, took most of his reps today at halfback.

-- With starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson (excused absence) and Al Harris (back) out for the second consecutive practice, Will Blackmon and Patrick Dendy again practiced with the first-team defense. Frank Walker and Jarrett Bush got time at nickelback.

-- Guard Jason Spitz sat out again. McCarthy had said Spitz tweaked his back during the first minicamp practice Friday but said today that Spitz is nursing a calf injury.

-- Tight end Donald Lee took all the first repetitions with the starting offense, and Tory Humphrey also was ahead of veteran Bubba Franks at times.

-- A large group of running backs and receivers rotated in with the first-team offense during team periods. Vernand Morency continued to take all first reps, with rookie Brandon Jackson absent for the third straight day.

-- Rookie James Jones had an ugly drop during the first team period. After breaking free from coverage, his body became twisted, and Ingle Martin's pass bounced hard off his hands as Jones fell to the ground.

-- Martin connected with second-year receiver Shaun Bodiford on the play of the day. Bodiford outran Blackmon down the right sideline, and Martin hit him in stride inside the 10-yard line.

-- Reserve safety Charlie Peprah got an interception off a Dendy deflection during the first team period. Rookie quarterback Paul Thompson nearly threw another interception on his next pass, but Walker couldn't hold on. Walker also dropped a Brett Favre pass -- three throws after A.J. Hawk picked off Favre in the end zone -- during a 7-on-7 red zone period.

-- Hawk made an athletic play for his interception, stepping underneath Ruvell Martin and snatching the underthrown ball with both hands.

-- The competition between kickers Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby won't heat up until training camp, but they got their first and only chance of the weekend in a team period today. Working with the coverage units, each kicked off four times. Rayner's first kick was longer than Crosby's, but the rookie equaled or outdistanced the incumbent the next three times.

-- Not even Mike Stock puts, ahem, stock into his special teamers when they're wearing shorts. But for whatever it is worth, the first group on kick coverage consisted of: Jarrett Bush, Ruvell Martin, Atari Bigby, Jason Hunter, Tracy White, Walker, Aaron Rouse, Korey Hall, Michael Montgomery and Bodiford.

-- Ingle Martin was stripped as he tried to throw in a crowd during the final team period. Guard Daryn Colledge caught the ball on the fly and ran downfield, where he promptly fumbled into the hands of Cullen Jenkins.

-- Rookie tight end Clark Harris dropped a Jerry Babb pass at the goal line during the final team period.

-- Bush batted down a fade intended for Jones on the day's final play.

-- Finally, back by popular demand, here are some mostly meaningless passing statistics from today's team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods: Favre 3-for-5 (INT); Aaron Rodgers 3-for-5; Martin 5-for-10; Babb 2-for-6; Thompson 1-for-4 (INT). Like the rest of the weekend, Favre and Rodgers only participated in 7-on-7, and only Martin took part in all periods.

WTF is it with Ferggie... he's too injured to practice, but perfectly fine to jump up and practice dunking footballs over the crossbars? :wtf:

I've been supporting him throughout the off-season, but I'm looking like an idiot right about now.

Nice to hear about Cory Hall, it'd be great to see him step up and make the roster.

Fergie can go dunk a ball for someone else. Although he is awesome on KR in Madden.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
It shouldn't have gone this far....Again, to be clear. I just do not like the user, period. Also, me saying someone is a slapnuts, ignorant, stupid or any other kind of name is not nearly a slam on them as one may think. I routinely call myself slapnuts, ignorant, stupid and many other names. It's harmless. Its WORDS, hell words on a screen from a man... errr a "kid"... this user will never have the fortunate opportunity to meet.
TOP HAT: I FEEL THE SAME WAY, BUT THE KID'S APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

Reaction score
:eek:fftopic:

Can we please get back on track, this is the most football were gonna see for a while, so surely the shots at other users can wait.

Thanks.

PS - It's not surprising to see how far Franks has fallen, but surely if he is #3 on the depth chart when the season starts, we'd be better off cutting him with his salary.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

Matt Millen is a slapnuts. I think we can all agree on that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS - It's not surprising to see how far Franks has fallen, but surely if he is #3 on the depth chart when the season starts, we'd be better off cutting him with his salary.

You know, I was just thinking the same thing when I read the notes that you posted. More and more, We're seeing Bubba slide. I read in some other article that MM sees Donald Lee as a bringing alot to the vertical game...

I think that they'll give him till around week 5 or 6, and if he doesn't start earning that fatty check, we can say bye bye Bubba.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must have missed the positive piece on Hall. I am high on him and the way he plays. IMO, both Fergy and Bubba have out-lived their usefulness. By far. A lot of our new guys are going to be exciting this year. Rouse is another that will be a pleasant addition. I still want Corey Williams extended soon.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must have missed the positive piece on Hall. I am high on him and the way he plays. IMO, both Fergy and Bubba have out-lived their usefulness. By far. A lot of our new guys are going to be exciting this year. Rouse is another that will be a pleasant addition. I still want Corey Williams extended soon.

I agree about Bubba and Fergy, but do we really need to cut them? Cap space is ridiculous right now, and neither of them have any type of attitude issues. As far as I've seen, they're both good locker room guys, both have alot of NFL experience that should be valuable to the young guys, (who are probably more talented, lol) and I think that it makes a statement to other players about management's honoring of a contract.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MINCAMP ROUNDUP

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/5/21/21345/2590

Minicamp Roundup

There are a ton of articles about minicamp posted at jsonline.com. First is about the starting defensive tackle battle between DTs Corey Williams and 1st round pick Justin Harrell. It's good to read that Williams is motivated to beat out Harrell for the starting spot opposite DT Ryan Pickett, but it really doesn't matter. It's a matter of pride for whichever is named the starter, but all three tackles will probably receive about the same amount of playing time. Even if Williams is not named the starter, he might still play more than Pickett or Harrell because he has the size to play on run downs and is the best pass rusher of the three.

It might be an interesting changing of the guard that TE Donald Lee is starting ahead of TE Bubba Franks so far, but Lee only managed 10 catches in 2006 and isn't someone to get excited about. Lee was really promising in 2005 but he was invisible for most of 2006. It would be hard to believe he has somehow come out of nowhere since last season to beat out Franks.

It is amazing that WR Robert Ferguson is still on the roster. Mike Sherman signed Ferguson to a relatively cheap contract a couple years ago and it hasn't been necessary to release him since the Packers have had a good amount of salary cap room. On any team with any salary cap issues, Ferguson would have been long gone. The article says he has put on weight and it's likely he has lost some speed with the extra size. He has rarely shown any ability to play well in between the hash marks, so if he loses his deep speed along the sideline, then he's got nothing left. He needs to stay healthy, but he also needs to show some promise, which he hasn't shown in the last couple of seasons.

CB Will Blackmon had a great offseason. That's good news, but it doesn't really say anything. Right now its CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson as the starters, CB Patrick Dendy in as the nickel cornerback, and that's pretty good. At the end of the season S Tyrone Culver came in as the sixth defensive back, but Blackmon and free agent CB Frank Walker probably have a good chance to play instead. Blackmon was a 4th round pick in 2006 so there is some expectation that he will earn some playing time in his 2nd NFL season or he might become in danger of losing his spot on the roster. He shouldn't be a big part of the defense in 2007, but he is probably the next best option if any of the top 3 cornerbacks are hurt.

And RB Vernand Morency is setting the pace! The article says Morency received slightly more time than RBs P.J. Pope and Noah Herron who are the only other running backs that aren't hurt or stuck on a promotional gig. Morency should be the number one back at this point, but this minicamp would have been a lot more interesting if 2nd round pick RB Brandon Jackson hadn't been doing endorsements in L.A. and was actually battling Morency for snaps. Unless Jackson really dazzles in the preseason, it would be a shock if Morency lost the starting job. It might be similar to the situation in Indianapolis last season, when RB Dominic Rhodes started most of the season and rookie RB Joseph Addai slowly picked away at Rhodes' playing time until Addai eventually played more than Rhodes. Morency might begin the season as the starting RB, but it seems likely that Jackson will eventually take the job away from him.

Members online

Latest posts