Minicamp Surprise - Jake Allen?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I wonder where Ruvell fits into the Packers plans if this little opinion holds true into training camp.. how about 7 or 8 recievers and 2 backs. :lol:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jake Allen

Every year there's a rookie or two that goes undrafted yet beats all odds and makes the Green Bay Packers' 53 man roster.

Last year that player was defensive tackle Daniel Muir. Another notable Packer that went undrafted was Tony Fisher who became the team's third down back in his first season.

This year the early favorite to make the team as an undrafted rookie free agent is wide receiver Jake Allen. So who is this relatively unknown player...?

Allen earned first team All-American honors in Division III while playing at Mississippi College. While there, he set school records in receptions (152), receiving yards (2,867) and receiving touchdowns (26) despite playing for only three seasons.

During the 2007 season alone he caught 61 passes for 1,254 yards and 12 touchdowns.

It looks like Allen has already made his mark with the Packers. During the recently concluded minicamp, he caught the eye of a couple of journalists.

According to Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Jake Allen was the fifth WR in the Packers' Big Five formation at one point ... he's really impressive getting off the line of scrimmage. He's also smooth and can kick it into another gear to get under passes."

Considering the top four wide recievers were Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Jordy Nelson, that's really impressive. That means that Allen is already in the rotation ahead of Brett Swain whom the Packers had thought highly enough of to spend a draft choice on. He's also ahead of players like Shaun Bodiford and Chris Francies who have spent time on the regular season 53 man roster in the past.

Allen also caught the eye of the Green Bay Press-Gazette's Tom Pelissero during minicamp.

"Undrafted rookie WR Jake Allen had a nifty, toe-dragging catch along the sideline on a pass from Matt Flynn during the blitz period," wrote Pelissero during one of the team's practices.

There's certainly a long way to for Allen, but he's putting himself in the right position for the moment being.

"I can't tell you how excited I am to get this chance", said Allen. "It's a long way from home, but that's not a concern right now. I have an opportunity to prove that I belong there and I'm gonna make the most of it."

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe this is the year RM has to show he can be productive in the 3,4, or 5 man set. This is his third year in the system.

Being behind an undrafted free agent, even at this point does not bode well for him. Looks like there will be strong compettition throughout training camp which can only help The Packers as a whole.

I am betting there will be 3 WR's on the practice squad at the beginning of the season, but some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe this is the year RM has to show he can be productive in the 3,4, or 5 man set. This is his third year in the system.

Being behind an undrafted free agent, even at this point does not bode well for him. Looks like there will be strong compettition throughout training camp which can only help The Packers as a whole.

I am betting there will be 3 WR's on the practice squad at the beginning of the season, but some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

I'm thinking the same thing. We may have to stack our PS with WRs.

Good post, Pack93z.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald
Greg
James
Jordy
Ruvell
and Jake Allen.

i dont see Ruvell in a cut situation so far. Id say Jake Allen and Swain have more to worry about than ol Ruvell.

thats still 6 receivers and we can carry 6. Brett Swain might just have to be a Practice Squader for a while.

This is a great problem to have.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst case scenario for Ruvel: He is cut, hired by Favre on the down low, given a cloned cell phone, and answers calls from Deanna when Favre is beyond drunk on the golf course.

Give us one, Ruvel!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay should keep 6 receivers. I don't know if they will though. I highly doubt Ruvell gets released after training camp. Someone would have to impress the hell out of Thompson and McCarthy for that to happen.

Practice squad maybe for this guy if he is the real deal or as the 6th receiver. It'll be all about special teams for him. If he can't cut it on special teams then highly unlikely they'd keep a 6th wideout regardless of what some of us think.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay should keep 6 receivers. I don't know if they will though. I highly doubt Ruvell gets released after training camp. Someone would have to impress the hell out of Thompson and McCarthy for that to happen.

Practice squad maybe for this guy if he is the real deal or as the 6th receiver. It'll be all about special teams for him. If he can't cut it on special teams then highly unlikely they'd keep a 6th wideout regardless of what some of us think.

Well, MM did say that the 50/50 runs vs passes was a pipe dream and he now thinks we'd be more effective at 57% passing, 43% rushing. So we might see a 6th WR at the expense of a RB. Note the word "might." I'm not too sure either way on this one.

Members online

Latest posts