Mike Smith of the Falcons named coach of the year

Diltzy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Associated Press has elected Mike Smith the rookie coach of the Atlanta Falcons as coach of the year. Smith narrowly beat out fellow rookie head coach Tony Sparano of the Falcons by only one vote. Smith had 23.5 votes to Sparano's 22.5 votes.

Tennessee's Jeff Fisher also received 3 votes, and somehow Bill Belichek still managed to receive one vote.

Full story here. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809378

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Mike Harbaugh should have gotten a few votes too. Kinda funny that he's gonna lead his team into the divisional round & Sparano, Belichek & Smith will be making plans for '09.

OP
OP
D

Diltzy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I would've went with Sparano if it were me. He turned around a 1-15 team who was the joke of the league, into division champs, and a playoff caliber football team at 11-5.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diltzy said:
Personally I would've went with Sparano if it were me. He turned around a 1-15 team who was the joke of the league, into division champs, and a playoff caliber football team at 11-5.
Yeah, I agree with you. I really don't know what goes through the voters minds. It's not that Smith isn't deserving, but that someone else did a much better job especially considering the circumstances.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Bob Costas was the Belichick vote. :lol:

I agree with the people who said they'd have voted Sparano. He turned that team around, and on top of that he was innovative with the whole Wildcat thing.

Members online

Latest posts