Mike Neal's Role

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This kind of got my mind spinning. At todays conference MM said:

On Mike Neal at OLB: Depends on how you use big guys in space. Drop them into fire zone, too. We're going to expand Mike Neal's role. Going to wait on specifics until Week 1 of the season.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Neal at OLB, we won't know specifics till week 1. I would take that to mean we will see a new alignment and perhaps a shift in defensive philosophy. I don't mean anything radical like going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 level change, but maybe something different like our occasional 2-5.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208357051.html

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to using him in a bull rush style pass rush at olb in certain situations. I have no interest in seeing him do anything else at OLB.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't read a lot into this. Jenkins took snaps at OLB during 2010's spring camp, iirc. All that happened during the season is that he sometimes rushed from a 2PT stance.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have a real hard time believing Neal would be getting any playing time at traditional OLB role. I don't put much credibility into what is shown at these OTA's.

No way Neal can cover a RB out of the backfield, or a TE in today's NFL. Just no way. Seems like maybe they want to see if he can effectively rush the passer from the DE/OLB position...and if he can, Capers can work up some different looks for passing downs?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid of Neal covering anyone to be honest. They are just experimenting, nothing more, nothing less. He will never be an OLB, and if he turns into one, I'll gladly eat the biggest crow you can find.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yeah, no. The way Neal plays the run and we want to stick him at OLB? Not buying, not for a second. It's camp, it's a look, it's about as serious as the scout team.

Reaction score
Must be dialing up some gimmick formation stuff... Seattle uses Red Bryant (a 320 pound guy) at Edge Defensive End from time to time... other than that, I have no clue... I thought Neal was starting to get sort of good as an inside rusher.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Neal is a 3 Tech. It's not exactly a great transition to LB. I don't see him having the movement skills to pull it off. Could he play 7 or 9 Tech with his hand in the dirt? Maybe. OLB? No.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Schematically, we’re going to do some different things and we’re going to expand Mike Neal’s role,” McCarthy said. “All the specifics of that I’m sure we can wait until Week 1 to get in to all of that.” This is the quote from Wilde's article. http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=7861&is_corp=1 My guess is it's an alignment in which the OLB Neal is playing doesn't have pass defending duties, or if he does they are very limited.

H

HardRightEdge

Mike Neal's a 295 lb. man with a Combine 40 range of 4.87 - 4.96. After some leg injuries, he's probably slower than that. Unless the guy has dropped 30 lbs. and 0.30 off his 40 he cannot be a "linebacker" in any meaningful way.

This sounds like a Kevin Greene idea. He was sure Ricky Elmore's 4.85 speed would not be problem in our scheme.

In the end, you might see Mike Neal rush once in while from 9 technique or drop in coverage once in a while. But even Raji has been known to do the latter on occasion, and we don't call him a linebacker. ;)

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that this is (if it ever amounts to anything) solely for getting their best pass rushers on the field in sub-packages. Have Perry, Clay, Jones, Neal on the field and coming from different positions gives the offense different looks and can cause confusion. If Neal can stand up at the OLB for this purpose, it could be an interesting move. Otherwise, I completely agree with most takes - he better not be expected to drop into coverage more than a rare instance as part of a confusing blitz package.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure passing situations, such as 3rd & 10 or longers..... send these guys at the QB:

Neal - Datone - Raji - Matthews - Perry -
And mix in some blitzes between Bishop, Brad Jones, and Jerron McMillian.... I don't see QB's having much time to throw with those guys going after them.
Neal & Datone have a great combination of size and skills to beat one on one blocks on the interior.
Same with Raji when he's told to go after the QB.

Matthews and Perry off opposite edges.... QB's are going to be a little twitchy holding onto balls.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal had a good season in 2012, after starting the year with a four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Neal had 4.5 sacks last season, and had a number of other pressures on the opposing quarterback. The Packers were looking for that type of production from Neal since they drafted him in the second round in 2010.

Whether the 295-pound Neal will actually play some outside linebacker remains to be seen. It could be that he will be used in a stand-up role in certain pass-rushing schemes.

When the Packers go to their dime defense for instance, the defensive end will sometimes stand up like a linebacker and either rush the quarterback or drop back in a zone blitz look.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to using him in a bull rush style pass rush at olb in certain situations. I have no interest in seeing him do anything else at OLB.

I doubt that he'll become a full time OLB. Instead I suspect theyre trying to get more versatility out of their front 7. Get Mike Neal a little more used to playing in space and suddenly you can create more misdirection and more havoc at the LoS once you have 3-4 guys who can effectively rush the passer or even play in space drop back into coverage.

Staff online

Members online