Mike Neal

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Freakin' A. It's about time. Although I don't think it's totally necessary to rush it. I think we'll be fine without him against Tampa. It would be really sweet to have him when we go to Detroit

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be good for him to play.Maybe not the whole game just to see how he does against other team hope plays up to his potential .

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He says he's ready to play. He said he was ready to play against Minnesota but the trainers and Docs were trying to be extra cautious.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He must be outperforming every other DE on the roster for McCarthy to give him a chance this "early"

I think he's gonna be what we need... I thought so with Starks last year.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope he lives up to the expectations from the members of this forum. How many posts have been made about when Neal comes back. For someone that has played a total of TWO games in two NFL seasons - with a total of three tackles, we sure have put a lot of confidence that he is THE answer to our defensive problems. We sure are desperate for D-Line help.

Psst...Justin Harrell played in 13 games his first two seasons...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the last quote from Neal I saw he said his knee was OK but the muscles in that leg need to get stronger. McCarthy and staff have been very careful with injuries, so I’m sure they’re monitoring the strength in his leg. Helmets is right, he only played in two NFL games. But we saw his potential in that pre season and in those two games, although he only recorded three tackles, he got a sack and forced a fumble.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Neal was a second round draft pick...second round draft picks in the nfl are suppose to be starters, and overall have somewhat of an impact...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope he lives up to the expectations from the members of this forum. How many posts have been made about when Neal comes back. For someone that has played a total of TWO games in two NFL seasons - with a total of three tackles, we sure have put a lot of confidence that he is THE answer to our defensive problems. We sure are desperate for D-Line help.

Psst...Justin Harrell played in 13 games his first two seasons...

During camp he ripped Clifton to the ground off of pure strength. I think that should put in perspective what he can bring to this team. Imagine what a guy that needs to be double teamed would do for Raji and Matthews.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During camp he ripped Clifton to the ground off of pure strength. I think that should put in perspective what he can bring to this team. Imagine what a guy that needs to be double teamed would do for Raji and Matthews.

This. I really don't mean to out somewhat blind faith into someone who has only played two games. But the idea of ANYONE else who can provide some push besides Clay and Raji is good news.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy needs to get some reps. He needs to get in there and get the feel of the game. I don't look to him to be the savior of our defense but it's a part that has been missing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

My pic of Bulga and Mike rookie season at family night

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still bring him along slowly. Give him like 8-10 snaps in the 2nd half. A few more on Thanksgiving vrs the Lions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
dbain21 is right; of course 2nd round picks are supposed to start and contribute. But he's been injured twice now. It's not like he's not contributing because he isn't talented enough (like Brohm) or unmotivated. I believe when he arrived in Green Bay he was already the strongest guy on the team. At Purdue he bench pressed 510 pounds, did 615 lbs. in the squat and a 385 lbs. jerk. (His father, a firefighter, once benched 525.) I wonder, but have no evidence one way or another, whether all that muscle mass makes him more susceptible to injury. IOW, is he "too strong" or "too muscled" for his frame?

For a man of his size and strength he's quick. Obviously two games worth of work isn't enough to make an evaluation on but for me he more than passed the "eyeball test". If he can return healthy and stay healthy (two big "ifs" at this point) he should be the best pass rushing DL on the team and he and Raji in the 2-4-5 base should be able to provide a consistent push up the middle.

Quick, what do all these players have in common:

Nick Collins, Terrence Murphy, Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings, Brandon Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm, Pat Lee, Mike Neal, Randall Cobb.

Ya, too easy: They're Thompson's second rounders.

Members online

Latest posts