Mike Neal to OLD....you can't be serious

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Avril actually played more OLB at Perdue than he did DE. IMO, he's been playing out of his natural position for a while now. He ran a 4.51 @ 255. He'd be much more productive playing in a 3-4 as a Linebacker

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to agree with EL Quapo. I would imagine that Trogvac knows more about Mike neals abilities more than any of us. We are just fans (spectators) we dont kow thses players like the coaches do. If Mario Williams can do and have a bit of success, Neal should be capable as well. Just the thought of this being a possiblilty has gotten me intrigued. I can see Neal bowling over an O lineman with a nasty bull rush.

L

Lunchboxer

No harm in giving the guy a look. My guess is it doesn't work out, but you never know. I have faith in our coaching staff.

I had fath in the Defenive coaching staff that they would make some adjuments before the playoffs. Boy Was I wrong.

Right now I have little to no fath in the D Coaching Staff.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had fath in the Defenive coaching staff that they would make some adjuments before the playoffs. Boy Was I wrong.

Right now I have little to no fath in the D Coaching Staff.

Yup, no faith in a coaching staff that had us in the top 5 the year before. And dramatic, sweeping changes in the middle of the season ALWAYS work out, right?

4 turnovers. 8 drops. THAT's why we lost our playoff game. Our defense kept us in it for most of the game, save for a fluke hail mary pass at the end of the first half. And then, being down by 10 at that point, they came out in the second half of the game and forced the Giants to go 3 and out for every single possession in the 3rd quarter. Unfortunately our offense could only manage a field goal that quarter when we should have been able to come back and take a solid lead. I don't give a flying fart in space what the scoreboard says, our defense was much improved in that playoff game and more than did it's job to give us a chance to win. Our offense screwed the pooch.

As for the topic at hand, we've already proven players CAN switch from defensive end to an OLB and rush the passer. It worked for Aaron Kampman, it worked for Mario Williams and it's possible it works for Mike Neal. There's certainly no harm in exploring the option.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lunchboxer, they did make adjustments. For example Bush took Shields’ spot in the nickel on early downs because Shields won’t tackle consistently and they changed the starter at ROLB. Except for injury, I wonder how often a starter has lost his job between the last regular season game and the first playoff game. I agree with SpartaChris, the defense played well enough to win that game if the offense would have done its job. As I’ve posted before the Packers are a passing team and if Rodgers and/or the passing game has an off day in the playoffs, they aren’t going to win.

How long has Dom Capers been coaching? How successful has he been? What makes anyone believe that over the space of the most recent off season he suddenly lost all of that knowledge?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long has Dom Capers been coaching? How successful has he been? What makes anyone believe that over the space of the most recent off season he suddenly lost all of that knowledge?

Hit it right on the head. Fans calling for Capers to be fired because of this one season are just acting ridiculous. We had a top 5 defense in 2010. Last year we ranked 32 in passing yards, but 19th (14th before we rested starters in week 17) in points allowed and 1st in turnovers. No, our defense wasn't great, yes we gave up a ton of yards last year, but the defense wasn't as bad as everyone likes to think it was, kind of like our running game the year before, when people were panicked and pissed off because we didn't trade the house for Marshawn Lynch. The run game wasn't great, but it was good enough and we won a championship with it. The same could be said about our defense this year- Not great, but more than capable of winning a championship with it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hit it right on the head. Fans calling for Capers to be fired because of this one season are just acting ridiculous. We had a top 5 defense in 2010. Last year we ranked 32 in passing yards, but 19th (14th before we rested starters in week 17) in points allowed and 1st in turnovers. No, our defense wasn't great, yes we gave up a ton of yards last year, but the defense wasn't as bad as everyone likes to think it was, kind of like our running game the year before, when people were panicked and pissed off because we didn't trade the house for Marshawn Lynch. The run game wasn't great, but it was good enough and we won a championship with it. The same could be said about our defense this year- Not great, but more than capable of winning a championship with it.

In those fans defense, Capers and the Packers defense sandwiched one great season (2010) between two HORRIBLE seasons (2009 and 2011). A lot of people forgot how bad the defense was in 2009 because of the Super Bowl in 2010.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In those fans defense, Capers and the Packers defense sandwiched one great season (2010) between two HORRIBLE seasons (2009 and 2011). A lot of people forgot how bad the defense was in 2009 because of the Super Bowl in 2010.
The 2009 Packers defense was 7th in the league in points surrendered. It was second in yards allowed and led the league the league in INTs. You meant “horrible” for Packers’ opponents, right?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2009 Packers defense was 7th in the league in points surrendered. It was second in yards allowed and led the league the league in INTs. You meant “horrible” for Packers’ opponents, right?

2009 was the year the Packers gave up record numbers against the Cardinals in the playoffs. It was also the year of the horrible loss to Pittsburgh (37 points) and twice to Minnesota (30+ points in each loss). Horrible was an overstatement, but the defense as not anything special in 2009. The Cardinals proved that much in the wild card game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts