Mike Neal And Cj2k

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
When did he hold out last year?

He held out last year for his contract, same reason he held out this year.

Now one has to think, these guys make more money than we'll probably ever have in a life time. They are loaded, their kids, grandkids, all will be set in the future.

Johnson is a good player, but I don't like his attitude, and now he's really pigged out with money, so he can lay down. ESPN sets high expectations for him, but he's not Earl Campbell.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I personally could care less what players think of fans. All I care about is what happens during the 60 minutes of game time each week. Players don't get paid to like fans or listen to fans or care about fans opinions. That's the job of the PR and marketing departments of the team. I have no problem with what Mike Neal said. As for Chris Johnson, I only care about him when he plays against the Packers or another team whose win-loss record effects the Packers.

Happy fans are an important part of marketing. I guess if you guys are happy with players insulting the fans, then maybe the NFL marketing strategy should be to have all the players tweet about how they don't care about the fans. If this makes the fans happy, then I suppose I'm out of line in expecting something different.

JASIII

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy fans are an important part of marketing. I guess if you guys are happy with players insulting the fans, then maybe the NFL marketing strategy should be to have all the players tweet about how they don't care about the fans. If this makes the fans happy, then I suppose I'm out of line in expecting something different.
No one said they are 'happy' when players insult fans. Speaking for myself, I just simply don't care one way or another. It doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game. I realize that a good portion of NFL players aren't rocket scientists and I take that into account. It simply isn't an issue for me.

Reaction score

Now one has to think, these guys make more money than we'll probably ever have in a life time. They are loaded, their kids, grandkids, all will be set in the future.

Johnson is a good player, but I don't like his attitude, and now he's really pigged out with money, so he can lay down. ESPN sets high expectations for him, but he's not Earl Campbell.

I thought u were talking about Mike Neal.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Noooooo, I thought this thread was about Chris Johnson with the CJ2K phrase. Sorry!
Actually it was about both. So you're both covered. I started the thread to explore the idea that players seem to be dissing the fans more and more these days. But from the looks of it, there is apparently a generation gap here. What my generation would see as unacceptable, this generation has no problem with whatsoever. I'm an anachronism.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For fans it seems the lines have become blurred. That what they want and expect from players isnt even realistic. The whole thing makes me sick. From the little things, like approaching DD while he is out with his family and asking for his time or autographs and pictures, to threatening to kill or hurt Aaron Rodgers only bc he is doing his job. Or take the Foster issue. People are threatening him because of fantasy football, thats insane. They go do their job, and people expect so much from these guys. No one is required to sign your piece of paper. If you want an autograph go pay for it at a signing event.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people romanticize the past. Yeah things have changed, but if anything its that people have more access to players than ever before. Sometimes looking behind the curtain isnt always the best. I have personally avoided meeting Michael Jordan (hero as a kid) because I dont want my childhood memories ruined. 2 times I have turned down a personal introduction. Some things are just better left the way they are.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
people romanticize the past. Yeah things have changed, but if anything its that people have more access to players than ever before. Sometimes looking behind the curtain isnt always the best. I have personally avoided meeting Michael Jordan (hero as a kid) because I dont want my childhood memories ruined. 2 times I have turned down a personal introduction. Some things are just better left the way they are.

No doubt some do romanticize the past. But those of us who lived it, don't. I remember when the guys who played ball had to be a part of the community in the off season. In my opinion, it *was* better. You would probably note that it wasn't the billion dollar industry it is now. I would agree. But does money mean civility should be discarded?

I remember when cursing was something done by sailors and soldiers, not the soccer mom. I remember when courteously opening doors for women, or giving them your seat on the bus or standing up when women or older folks entered was appropriate. The players were a part of the community and when they were out, folks just understood they should be treated like anyone else. You might call it over romanticizing the past. We called it decency. Something that is fast disappearing from our society.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was also a time that priest molestation was just accepted, blacks were 2nd class citizens, the govt experimented on mentally ill, domestic violence was part of marriage, homosexuality was considered a disease, ect. Oh and you had to walk uphill 10 miles to and from school in 30 ft snow drifts.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No ivo, the history of america is great unless of course you are black, native american, chinese, japanese, mexican, gay, a woman, communist, german, or poor.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand where you're coming from, but let's take the amount of money out of the equation. It just comes down to CJ2K believing he isn't compensated for what he's worth. It happens everywhere. My friend is a junior shoe designer whose shoes are selling like hotcakes and he feels underappreciated and unfairly compensated just like CJ2K.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It was also a time that priest molestation was just accepted, blacks were 2nd class citizens, the govt experimented on mentally ill, domestic violence was part of marriage, homosexuality was considered a disease, ect. Oh and you had to walk uphill 10 miles to and from school in 30 ft snow drifts.

The Priest thing wasn't just accepted. I call baloney on that one. No molestation was just accepted. If there was domestic violence on the block, everyone (but the perpetrator) frowned on it and sometimes took action. My Father told us if we ever raised our hand to a woman he would come after us and we'd have to answer for it. In fact if there was a divorce on the block, it was spoken of with whispers. There was a higher ethical code in those days.

I don't know where you got the information that certain things were acceptable. (Probably revisionist "social studies" books which may over exaggerate some things for a modern agenda.) Even the racism which you site was frowned upon by many folks. Were there racists? Certainly. Was everyone a racist? Certainly not. We had friends come to our house who were ethnically diverse and there was no problem with us or the neighborhood.

There's a reason why people make fun of "Leave it to Beaver" or "Ozzie and Harriet" today. Yet what was portrayed at it's core was basically life for many of us. The silliness and the predicaments were a little outrageous. But yes, Mom was in a dress and ironing clothes, cooking dinner and making a home. A man's hat was removed instantly when he entered a house, etc. The man was the "head of the family" and governed it well.

Yes, I know things have changed. But I don't have to like it.

BTW - it was only 5 miles uphill in a blizzard both ways...boy you revisionists...

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Actually it was about both. So you're both covered. I started the thread to explore the idea that players seem to be dissing the fans more and more these days. But from the looks of it, there is apparently a generation gap here. What my generation would see as unacceptable, this generation has no problem with whatsoever. I'm an anachronism.

I agree with you 100%. Seeing players talk bad about the fans is a bad taste in the mouth, cause after all the fans are the ones buying cards, tickets, hats, jerseys and just pumping them with more money to their banking accounts.

I'm old school, and I think the fans are what matters the most.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, but let's take the amount of money out of the equation. It just comes down to CJ2K believing he isn't compensated for what he's worth. It happens everywhere. My friend is a junior shoe designer whose shoes are selling like hotcakes and he feels underappreciated and unfairly compensated just like CJ2K.

But at the same time, CJ2K makes more money than any other running back.

I just see it as a point of appreciation. There's several other running backs that probably never will make his kind of money, but they would do anything to be a starter.
He's all about money, but it's not like he's going to be broke in a few years. I don't like the greedy attitude, and as far as him calling some fans fake over not agreeing with him, I am a fake Titans fan, cause I have never cared for them since they destroyed the coolest AFC Team ever: The Oilers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. Seeing players talk bad about the fans is a bad taste in the mouth, cause after all the fans are the ones buying cards, tickets, hats, jerseys and just pumping them with more money to their banking accounts.

I'm old school, and I think the fans are what matters the most.

generally when you get death threats and people tell you they want you hurt you tend to get a little sour sometimes.

Its amazing really that Rodgers didnt demand a trade for how he was treated.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Priest thing wasn't just accepted. I call baloney on that one. No molestation was just accepted. If there was domestic violence on the block, everyone (but the perpetrator) frowned on it and sometimes took action. My Father told us if we ever raised our hand to a woman he would come after us and we'd have to answer for it. In fact if there was a divorce on the block, it was spoken of with whispers. There was a higher ethical code in those days.

I don't know where you got the information that certain things were acceptable. (Probably revisionist "social studies" books which may over exaggerate some things for a modern agenda.) Even the racism which you site was frowned upon by many folks. Were there racists? Certainly. Was everyone a racist? Certainly not. We had friends come to our house who were ethnically diverse and there was no problem with us or the neighborhood.

There's a reason why people make fun of "Leave it to Beaver" or "Ozzie and Harriet" today. Yet what was portrayed at it's core was basically life for many of us. The silliness and the predicaments were a little outrageous. But yes, Mom was in a dress and ironing clothes, cooking dinner and making a home. A man's hat was removed instantly when he entered a house, etc. The man was the "head of the family" and governed it well.

Yes, I know things have changed. But I don't have to like it.

BTW - it was only 5 miles uphill in a blizzard both ways...boy you revisionists...

You can read the court testimony on the Boston or Philly priest cases if you want. Its general knowledge that when reported that it wasnt something the police pursued.

My father and his friends were told as kids to stay away from the priest, and to never be alone with him. The priest was referred to as "goofy". As in oh he is just a little goofy.

I think its funny you try and dismiss my opinions, and put blame on the modern education system. Far from the truth actually.

Sorry but I like my music, clothes, freedom, technology, and just general swag. I hope when I am old I am not bitter and negative towards the changes that have occurred. That I dont complain about music that I dont understand or clothes that seem different to me or technology that confuses me. And while you dont like generalizing your generation you seem to do a great job of generalizing mine. Funny how that works.

If you want to really want someone to blame for todays generation I guess blame our parents or grandparents.... oh wait

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You can read the court testimony on the Boston or Philly priest cases if you want. Its general knowledge that when reported that it wasnt something the police pursued.

My father and his friends were told as kids to stay away from the priest, and to never be alone with him. The priest was referred to as "goofy". As in oh he is just a little goofy.

I think its funny you try and dismiss my opinions, and put blame on the modern education system. Far from the truth actually.

Sorry but I like my music, clothes, freedom, technology, and just general swag. I hope when I am old I am not bitter and negative towards the changes that have occurred. That I dont complain about music that I dont understand or clothes that seem different to me or technology that confuses me. And while you dont like generalizing your generation you seem to do a great job of generalizing mine. Funny how that works.

If you want to really want someone to blame for todays generation I guess blame our parents or grandparents.... oh wait

Sad...very sad...without your grandparents, you may not even have all those things you so love. You might be goose stepping to a different tune.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my grandfather was a terrible human being. I would tell stories but they would get me banned from the forum.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
my grandfather was a terrible human being. I would tell stories but they would get me banned from the forum.

Sorry to hear that. My Grandfather was a man's man who fought in World War I. My Father and my Uncles were part of the armed forces in "the Greatest Generation"...one uncle died in Normandy. So I can't identify with you. I came from a line of men with deep integrity.

While I can't respect your opinion in this area. I can respect your right to express it.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. My Grandfather was a man's man who fought in World War I. My Father and my Uncles were part of the armed forces in "the Greatest Generation"...one uncle died in Normandy. So I can't identify with you. I came from a line of men with deep integrity.

While I can't respect your opinion in this area. I can respect your right to express it.

just to clarify because I see this sort of statement far too often from people, just because you serve in the armed forces does not mean you have integrity.

Go Pack Go

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
just to clarify because I see this sort of statement far too often from people, just because you serve in the armed forces does not mean you have integrity.

Go Pack Go

True, but it is my opinion that the "greatest generation" valued integrity much more than this generation. I cited their War experience to demonstrate that most of the men who held Authoritarianism at bay also held to the values I noted. These values were handed down to me from those men. These were the values of Vince Lombardi. Without the sacrifices of my Father, Uncles and other "old fashioned" men we may not have the "swag", freedom and comfort that IVO said he values.

As a corollary, it is my opinion, from what I've read of Lombardi that he would have chewed Neal out for making such a statement and he would have fined him. Lombardi had a few "out of line" players with which to deal; players who weren't necessarily holding to the values Lombardi thought were important for good public image. He chewed them out, fined the daylights out of them and even offered to send them to other teams. Remember this is a man who insisted his players wear a hat when they were out and about in Green Bay. One player was walking with his family and Lombardi happened to drive by. He saw the player didn't have a hat on and ordered him to go home and get one. He said the player was a representative of the Green Bay Packers and should behave as a professional in the community.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi also welcomed back Hornung after he violated one of the most strict rules in sports. Just saying

I am slightly offended you are so down on my generation and group everyone together. I dont know where you get this image but I know plenty with manners. As far as hats taken off in doors, its not something that is done anymore. just like 3 piece suits arent regular attire. But best believe I am polite, hold doors for people, and always try and lend a helping hand to people who need it, whether thats through volunteering as a firefighter or doing things for the united way. Or as simple as helping someone change a tire. I also have a temper, swear, fight, and generally dont take much ****.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Lombardi also welcomed back Hornung after he violated one of the most strict rules in sports. Just saying

I am slightly offended you are so down on my generation and group everyone together. I dont know where you get this image but I know plenty with manners. As far as hats taken off in doors, its not something that is done anymore. just like 3 piece suits arent regular attire. But best believe I am polite, hold doors for people, and always try and lend a helping hand to people who need it, whether thats through volunteering as a firefighter or doing things for the united way. Or as simple as helping someone change a tire. I also have a temper, swear, fight, and generally dont take much ****.

Lombardi and Hornung went at it regularly. Lombardi chewed him out and fined him profusely and at least one time ask him what other team he wanted to play for if he didn't shape up. Lombardi's values also included confession and forgiveness. Hornung owned up to his foul and then went about doing sincere public "penance". Lombardi accepted that, but didn't take his foot off of Hornung's neck so to speak. He rode him hard. As I said, I believe Lombardi would have had a strong discussion with Neal regarding his comments. He would have gone ballistic over CJ2K. If players had a problem with their contract Lombardi wasn't slow to offer to send them to some other team.

Since we're on the subject of confession, I will confess that I have generalized a generation. That generalization is based on my own observation as an employer (now retired) and one who has been around a while. As an employer I saw a generation that didn't feel it had to work hard for much and felt everything was owed them, because so much had been given to them growing up and with little cost to themselves. However, I will confess that not everyone in your generation is hedonistic.

Yet, many are. As a poor example, but a reflection nonetheless, compare what TV censors will allow today compared to what was permitted in the earlier days of Television. Compare the values espoused in today's TV programs to the values espoused in the earlier days of Television. There is a stark difference. Yes it is only Hollywood, but pop culture is one indicator of the generations values.

My sons were taught manners and honor. So I have generalized them in a generation as well. Yet, they are all responsible adults now. However, my sons will also tell you they are more the exception than the rule among their peers.
I would assert that if you do indeed hold doors and act with manners, and volunteer, then you are also more the exception. Industry studies have shown that the largest percentage of volunteers today come from the older generation. The 20 somethings are largely missing from a lot of charitable activity. Yes there are some younger folks volunteering as Firefighters and EMTs, yet you also have probably seen how hard it is becoming to keep a volunteer fire company running. The lack of sufficient volunteers is a piece of that puzzle. Thus more "professional" emergency services are supplanting the volunteer services.

I should get off of my stump. My wife sometimes warns me not to become one of those crotchety old geezers. (Because this discussion is a tune I sing at home from time to time.) After all these years she still knows me too well.

Members online

Latest posts