Mike McCarthy owes a lot of his success to Ted Thompson...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
HUH?? He is ranked #3, beat out Tomlin and Reid..

Sean Peyton and Bill Belichick are ranked 1 and 2

Pretty good if you ask me

OP
OP
Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HUH?? He is ranked #3, beat out Tomlin and Reid..

Sean Peyton and Bill Belichick are ranked 1 and 2

Pretty good if you ask me

I agree it's very good...but, every time he is mentioned about how successful he has been, someone always writes that credit must be given to TT as well. I guess one way to look at is that GB has one of the best coaches AND one of the best GM's as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it's very good...but, every time he is mentioned about how successful he has been, someone always writes that credit must be given to TT as well. I guess one way to look at is that GB has one of the best coaches AND one of the best GM's as well.

Well, Ted should get a ton of credit..I think we had a poll here for a bit asking who gets the credit

L

Lunchboxer

I agree TT deserves some credit for drafting high quality players every year in the draft. And some credit goes to MM aswsell for doing a damn good job coaching the team. Especially when alot of our guys were falling like rain.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think it's simple. They both are superb. However, taken singly you have to believe MM would do well with this staff in getting any team deep in the playoffs. They've done it with UDFA as well as late rounders. True, MM picked those guys but how the heck do you take that many backup players this year and win the Super Bowl?
I think the knock on MM is his game managing in the past. I"m not saying it's fair but I am saying it's how he's perceived.
There is absolutely no possible way you can look at this season and not put the coaching staff in the top 3, which is where they are. I think it's fair though I perceive them as second.
Funny thing though, nobody ever talks about the coaching staff, just the head coach. Does anybody think MM enjoys the success he's having without Dom Capers?

Reaction score
I think last year both TT & MM did remarkable jobs. With all the injuries that the Pack had it is truly amazing they remained in contention all year. TT has done a great job drafting and finding UDFA after the draft every year. (Zombo, Sheilds & T. Williams). TT also did a fantastic job of finding gems on the FA list during the season . (Walden, H. Green). MM & Capers did great jobs plugging these guys into the system and never really missing a beat. IMO as the season went along MM got much better with his playcalling and game management also. With these two guys I really think its a case of them complimenting each other perfectly. Lets just hope that they both stay grounded and continue to work together as a well oiled machine!

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Funny thing though, nobody ever talks about the coaching staff, just the head coach. Does anybody think MM enjoys the success he's having without Dom Capers?

Good point. Success of a team is due to a collaboration of intelligence, not just one supreme being. If that were the case, I could be the coach of a championship team. :crazy:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the first thing to note is Thompson gets credit for choosing McCarthy. At the time it was a pick "out of left field", not a conventional choice at all: McCarthy was the OC for a bad team, had never been a HC on any level, and hadn't been associated with a winning program (if I remember correctly). Thompson also gets credit for being the author of "the plan" - how he goes about building a team. McCarthy was hired in part because he buys into that plan. Thompson also gets credit for stocking the team with incredible depth enabling the coaches to overcome all the injuries last season.

McCarthy gets huge credit for keeping the team motivated and not for one minute using the injuries as an excuse. That was huge - his most important contribution as HC - and shouldn't be minimized. I give McCarthy credit for being an excellent de-facto OC.

I'm not sure who gets most of the credit for the pick of Capers - at the time of his hiring there were stories saying Thompson was very involved. But whoever was most responsible, both obviously were on board with hiring Capers. As good as McCarthy is as an OC, Capers is an even better DC. He had to overcome more injuries than McCarthy did on O and he was brilliant. There was a very good recent story on Capers which talked about how other NFL teams are studying his innovations on D, particularly the advanges of using only two down linemen - if anyone can find it, it would be worth posting a link (if there isn't one already).

The bottom line for me is Thompson, McCarthy and Capers get the lion's share of credit with an assist by their respective staffs. Since the buck stops at Thompson's desk, he deserves the most credit IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throughout the season there were many threads and discussion of bad moves that MM made during game time. Now, no coach is without error, and some of this is 2nd guessing, but there were times when I thought MM did a poor job, especially when it came to clock management.

Just because he won the Superbowl, does not mean all that doesn't matter. As much of a homer as I am, I have to say that the 3rd overall ranking is high. Although I do feel that MM improved throughout the season, and there are aspects of his game that are excellent. All that being said, I would't trade MM for any coach.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throughout the season there were many threads and discussion of bad moves that MM made during game time. Now, no coach is without error, and some of this is 2nd guessing, but there were times when I thought MM did a poor job, especially when it came to clock management.

Just because he won the Superbowl, does not mean all that doesn't matter. As much of a homer as I am, I have to say that the 3rd overall ranking is high. Although I do feel that MM improved throughout the season, and there are aspects of his game that are excellent. All that being said, I would't trade MM for any coach.
Completely agree on all accounts.

MM was definitely a key component in the SB win, from his gameplan in the playoffs (masterful, BTW, from running the ball against philly to spreading the field against Pittsburgh, McCarthy won the battle against the opposing DC every single quarter except the second half against the Bears, where he got too conservative. And even then there's a case to be made that it was more poor execution on Rodgers' part, throwing 2 ints, than it was MM) to keeping the team focused through all the injuries.

That doesn't mean he's automatically the best coach in the league. After all, the team did go 10-6 during the regular season, and MM's gameplanning, in-game adjustement, clock management and playcalling were IMHO at fault for that record (of course the blame isn't solely on McCarthy).

All that said, just like you mentioned, wouldn't trade MM for any other coach. And I have a feeling that if these new TEs can contribute to some extent, now with a good RB depth, that we won't see MM make many dumb mistakes in the season. In fact, I would not be shocked if when the season is over we lead the league in points scored.

OP
OP
Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everyone here but again, I've never noticed any head coach be mentioned as a great head coach without the GM in the same sentence. It's always something along the lines of, "MM is a great HC but we can't ignore TT as well."

Look at those that are considered great coaches, past and present. Does the GM ever get mentioned as well? Perhaps it's just a testament to TT's greatness.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Well it's an egg before the chicken type of argument isn't it?
You have got guys that were let go mid=season (Green & Walden) that contributed. Honestly, without first class coaches, they are really another team's cast offs right?
Tell me this, who has been a TT bust recently? Is it that he's refined his seeking talents or are the positional coaches just that good? I'd favor the latter. I love TT and think he's a draft genius, but I think it's way off to dismiss what coaching can do for a "decent" player.
That's why I'm so excited with this draft class, coaches will have 'em all competing.
So TT recognized Davon House's talents, but it's only through the coaching of Joe Whitt that he will become a real threat. Watch and see folks.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Also, my prediction of the year is that Ricky Elmore will be a huge asset to their Super Bowl run. Again, I think Kevin Greene will coach him up to proportional standards and help him realize his potential.
I love all the coaching except SLOCUM. This team has repeat written all over it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, my prediction of the year is that Ricky Elmore will be a huge asset to their Super Bowl run. Again, I think Kevin Greene will coach him up to proportional standards and help him realize his potential.
I love all the coaching except SLOCUM. This team has repeat written all over it.

And Campen...

Hey, Packers fans have to complain about something, right?

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just b/c a good player is drafted does not mean he fits the system hence why many 1st rounders flop. It's the coach's job to utilize him to the best way possible to give the team a chance to win. Both are credited, neither "owes" the other anything.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just b/c a good player is drafted does not mean he fits the system hence why many 1st rounders flop. It's the coach's job to utilize him to the best way possible to give the team a chance to win. Both are credited, neither "owes" the other anything.

I think more players fail because they are intimidated by how much faster and bigger everyone is. They get by in college because they are so much better athletically than their opponent. When they get challenged, they don't want to put in the work to be good at that level.

Its the GMs job to select players with great character, and its up to the coach to motivate the player and encourage him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
One last thought on this. During the year the Packers suffered alot of injuries, so the GM had to go pull talent out of left field. These were other team's castoffs right? It wasn't like the Packers were high on them to begin with but had a "need".
So we had all of our draft picks, the UDFAs and still had to go to the castoff pool. Now you can give all the credit in the world for picking good ones from that pool. But honestly, in thinking about it, without really, really good positional coaching those guys are less than average.
In closing I think we have the best coaching STAFF in the NFL and hats off to TT and MM for putting together this team and this year. The scary part is to think about how much of that outstanding staff we might lose to promotions after another SB ring.
I just find it impossible to think that it's to the GM's credit that Green and Walden were just really good finds on the NFL junkheap. Grats to all though, it was a cooperative effort no matter which way you slice it.

Members online

Latest posts