Mike McCarthy has out coached two teams in a row?

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a great coaching job by mike. I was one of the haters but the challenges i'n the min game were great. And now the jets game out coached a great coach hands down. Great job mike keep it up. How about the bomb to jones perfect call perfect time and he drops it.IMO this is his best coached game he has had next to min. Thoughts?? Even if u still hate him you have to acknowledge his two games of brilliance.Not to mention the jets had a bye and they got weren't ready for our d.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, what's up with that?

It needs to be said, the fake punt and the stupid challenges may've costed them the game.

But the playcalling in this game wasn't good. Not a single screen, some plays he ran twice the same...

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
blind squirrel+2 nuts= good. I am happy, no, ecstaic about the wins, both i believe are HUGE, and he is finally learning that the red flag in his pocket isnt for tossing when mad about the other teams fortunes/ our misfortunes, but he should have learned that a while ago. He still called a pretty mediocre game this week at times:

- the run off at the end of the 2nd and then the wasting of clock and holding onto a timeout.
- the 3 and out with 4 min left on run, run, 3rd and long, pass. NOBODY saw that coming.

those are 2 off the top of my head where I just had to scratch my head.

PS.
GREAT GAME THOUGH!

UGLY, but great defensive physical game. I agree that REX probably outgamed himself more that MM outsmarted him.

OP
OP
N

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We put up more then they did it's a w don't cry about it. They had more pass yards how many points did they put up

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
But the playcalling in this game wasn't good. Not a single screen, some plays he ran twice the same...

I didn't like the playcalling either. Come on, they never really threatened to get into the endzone, except maybe after that failed fake punt. The defense kept handing this game to the offense, and the offense kept failing.

There was one screen, though. Went to Jackson and he rumbled for ~14 yards. Someone should go back over the past season or so of games and list each of the screens (not many of them) and mail the list to Mike. I'd bet 90% of them went for more than 10 yards. Maybe he then would say, "Jeepers, we need to do more of those... duh."

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM specifically did a good job of involving Kuhn and Jennings. I thought that both of those players were involved well today.

My only complaint about the play calling was late in the 4th with about 4 minutes left in the game..packer ball on about our 30 yard line; we were leading by 6. Packer defence had just busted *** to turnover the ball on downs. Then MM dialed up two runs in a row; each for no gain. There was a holding penalty, putting the Pack in a 3rd and 15 position. MM called a off tackle dive play to Brandon Jackson to force the Pack to punt.

The strategy was likely to force the jets to burn the rest of the T.Os, and it worked... But we gave them the ball back with about 3:30 left in the (one posession) game. With that much time, that is still plenty of wiggle room to run a no huddle offense and march down the field without a timeout. The pack should have definitely tried for the first down. It is one thing to have a lot of faith in your defense...but it is another thing to smell blood and put a team away when you have the ball. If the Packers had gotten a couple first downs the game would have been over with Sanchez on the sidelines.

My call would have a been play action on 3rd down. Rodgers could have at least took a peek downfield. They're pros, they could have kept the clock running. But its a gamble either way. Good job MM.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
That's one thing about MM that irks me. He is a decent HC, but he really is hesitant to try and go for the kill shot when it matters. Instead he mentally pulls out his % books and goes by what it says to do in X situation which can come back and bite him in the ***. I'd like to see more ruthlessness in the playcalling to put teams out of their misery instead of giving them multiple chances to beat us in the 4th.

Look at Lombardi, did he play for a tie ball game in the Ice Bowl? NOPE, and why he is considered one of the greats now. And Starr too for holding the ball instead of handing it off to Mercein.

However, MM isn't the worst coach we'd had by far. And Viking fans are probably finding it humorous some fans still on MM after two huge wins when they look over and see Childress on their team. These were HUGE wins and a good job by the coaching staff to keep the team from shutting down after the injuries and tough OT losses. Look at Dallas, that is what happens to a team where the coaching staff sucks.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yup he is, but he is a coach in the NFL that didnt know to challenge a TD

I think part of that was due to Home Field Advantage. They didn't show the replay on the big board until after the extra point was kicked. heh. So he probably didn't feel like wasting a challenge on a play that DID look like a TD until you looked at the replay. I'll give Childress a bye on that one.

rivalriesoh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy just feels like a hall of fame to coach to me. I don't know, call it a gut feeling, I guess. I think he's keeping the franchise on top for many years to come

Members online

Latest posts