Mike Flanagan Gone

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much the signing bonus was. otherwise thats pretty much a 3 mil dollar deal, hes only got about 1 year left in him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Flanagan has any good seasons left in him, after his last two were ruined by injury. He had a bunch of injuries early in his career too. Thompson continues to go with the younger players.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 years, $9 million, $3million signing bonus.

What a steal!! Looks like MS is at it again!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys gotta be kidding me. This was a guy that TT targeted to re-sign. He has said it all along. He wants to re-sign Flanagan. Sports hernias heal 100%. I have backed off in ripping TT but there is no way we should have lost this one. Flanny wanted to stay here. You know Favre wants him here.........ahhhh.........I think I'm starting to see a trend here!!

Even the most diehard "TT can do no wrong" of you needs to ask. IS TT really trying to force Brett's hand? If not, how the hell can you get beat at the GM game by Mike Sherman and the Houston Texans!

Please don't get personal with this. I'm just asking the questions. If you get pissed off at me it's because you don't like the answers.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
9 millions over 3 years is too much for an old guy that has started to slow bigtime..

So Gakk....who did we miss out on? Everyone that is signed by others was paid too much according to you. Who signed elsewhere that TT missed out on? Or has every move turned out as expected.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have been nice to keep......at a REASONABLE price. They over paid in my opinion. There's a time when you have to say, thats too much.......i think it was that time.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
He would have been nice to keep......at a REASONABLE price. They over paid in my opinion. There's a time when you have to say, thats too much.......i think it was that time.

Gakk won't answer so I'll ask you cheesey.....who has signed a free agency contract that wasn't overpaid? How about Manuel.....one of our "big" signings.
Five years 10 mil for a 5 year guy who has a total of zero lifetime regular season interceptions?

At this point in time we have no interior offensive line. It takes a couple years for a new line to gel.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel is a very solid player. Seahawks fans that I talked to wish they had kept him. Also he was playing Free Safety and I've read that he is better suited for Strong Safety, which he will play here. Also he has had an interception for a touchdown in the playoffs. More important than one in the regular season. Also he is pretty young and will beat out Mark Roman.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
cheesey said:

Gakk won't answer so I'll ask you cheesey.....who has signed a free agency contract that wasn't overpaid? How about Manuel.....one of our "big" signings.
Five years 10 mil for a 5 year guy who has a total of zero lifetime regular season interceptions?

At this point in time we have no interior offensive line. It takes a couple years for a new line to gel.

Flanagan was WAY on the down side of his career. I don't think he physically has what it takes anymore. His mind is there, but his body isn't. Manuel still has the physical skills to play at a high level. Would you have been happy if the Packers would have dished out 9 mill for a center who might not last a season? THEN you would have been bashing TT for that move. As far as gelling, it looked like they were towards the end of last season.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and last year we lost two quality OLinemen that were over paid...........did we miss them???

Ask #4 and the host of running backs? My bet is they missed them and my bet is they will miss Flanny as well.

Manuel has done nothing and may not here either. Does he deserve the $$$$? Or does Flanny????? A proven guy that is just as needed?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ONE of them was missed........Rivera didn't do anything last year. He was done when he left the Packers. So your line of thinking,...........sign everyone that ever did anything for the Packers. Again......you only have 53 roster positions. You can't keep everyone.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
and last year we lost two quality OLinemen that were over paid...........did we miss them???

Ask #4 and the host of running backs? My bet is they missed them and my bet is they will miss Flanny as well.

Manuel has done nothing and may not here either. Does he deserve the $$$$? Or does Flanny????? A proven guy that is just as needed?

an udrafted rookie was fully capable of running for over 100 yards in games behind this o-line, MAYBE, just MAYBE it wasn't only the o-line, MAYBE it was the back?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Manuel has been a career 2nd stringer in his short career...just like about 85% of the starters in the league. Jesus..it is a very small percentage of players that come in and start immediately. Is that the criteria for a quality player? Only those that have started from day one are worthy....like Ryan Leaf, Aundrey Bruce, Brian Bosworth...the list is endless...as is the list of career 2nd stringers who have blossomed when their time came.

Al Harris anyone??

Your logic sucks.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Yeah, Manuel has been a career 2nd stringer in his short career...just like about 85% of the starters in the league. Jesus..it is a very small percentage of players that come in and start immediately. Is that the criteria for a quality player? Only those that have started from day one are worthy....like Ryan Leaf, Aundrey Bruce, Brian Bosworth...the list is endless...as is the list of career 2nd stringers who have blossomed when their time came.

Al Harris anyone??

Your logic sucks.

First of all he is a five year player and he couldn't beat out Roman EARLY in his career(notice I said early to be fair). That being said.....my left nut could have beaten out Roman early in it's career!

Again, my point about Manuel is that we had to overpay to get him. That is the nature of free agency. We should have kept Flanagan.

Now digs...You are about to read something that will make you want to poke yourself in the eye with a pencil.........Mike Sherman stole our starting center away from TT.

No excuses....TT stated that Flanny was one guy he wanted to re-sign!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a GM says he wants to keep a player, that doesn't mean he wants to keep him at any price. I doubt that Thompson was anticipating a three-year $9 million offer. I like Flanny and wish him the best, but post-Packers, he is much more likely to go the route of Marco Rivera than Mike Wahle.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanagan has made it way longer than most centers ever do. He was actually on the Super Bowl XXXII squad... Not many people even know that. He is way past his prime. Guys, face it... We are gonna lose some players. Losing Rivera and Whale last year was a big deal. This is not.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uummm, DePack...from my perspective, TT let the Texans HAVE Flanagan. My money says he was paid the way he was (too much, IMHO) based on MS bending ears.

We did nothing to keep Flanny, so just how was he stolen...one must own, or in this case, want something/someone, for it to be considered theft.

The same people who ***** about paying Manuel, (a player widely regarded as on the upswing) a reasonable contract and bonus , are now the same people fretting over the fact we did not pay an aged and potentially declining player a $3 million bonus.

Again....logic does not seem to come into play for some.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
krd005 said:

an udrafted rookie was fully capable of running for over 100 yards in games behind this o-line, MAYBE, just MAYBE it wasn't only the o-line, MAYBE it was the back?

100 yds a game is nothing in todays world of NFL but average

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still Green, Fisher or Davenport didn't manage to do so, and 100 yds a game isn't average, it's good,

Alexander, Tomlinson and James are amazing.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
still Green, Fisher or Davenport didn't manage to do so, and 100 yds a game isn't average, it's good,

Alexander, Tomlinson and James are amazing.

They wer hurt what do you not get! They were hurt!

Green Fisher and Davenport didn't fumble every other carrier either

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts