Michael Sam, 2014 draft prospect, announces he´s gay

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow college ball much but why if he's defensive player of the year is he projected so low in the draft?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't follow college ball much but why if he's defensive player of the year is he projected so low in the draft?

Well, he was a DE at Missouri but projects as an OLB in the NFL. He hasn't been asked to drop into coverage a lot in college, so teams can only project how he'll fare doing it. He has only average ability to change directions and struggles to seperate from blockers once engaged.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you not wish Sam well? You must be a homophobe.
I wish guys on the Packers well, and that's it.
Odds are 31/32 this guy is on another team.
So therefore, I don't wish him well, unless he's playing against our rival at that particular time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well, he was a DE at Missouri but projects as an OLB in the NFL. He hasn't been asked to drop into coverage a lot in college, so teams can only project how he'll fare doing it. He has only average ability to change directions and struggles to seperate from blockers once engaged.
His senior Bowl tape was brutal

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suppose he does get onto a team.
Would he start/play in a game just because he is a novelty or would it be that he is good enough?
If he is only up to practice squad material would the team dare to keep him there risking the backlash from the gay supporters and the media? Or would they play him just because he is gay being unfair to all the straight players on the PS?
Why didn't he wait to come out of the locker until after he was already on a team?
Is he doing this to guarantee a spot on an NFL team's roster?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this hurts Sam with most teams...If I know TT I think there's no way he drafts Sam. To much distraction...unknowns.

If you draft this kid is training camp gonna be a circus? I think it will be.
What happens when an idiot teammate/fans say the wrong thing. Media circus. What happens if he gets no playing time or gets cut...Is it cause he's gay? Media circus (ESPN will move world headquarters to whatever training camp the kid ends up at).

I just think there's too much of a distraction...not from anything he did wrong, but the media is watt too obsessed with this issue. No matter how many people come out as gay it's always like the first time ever.

All that being said...it only takes one team to take him as a statement that they will deal with all the hype.I could see a few teams who would take him for some good PR.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the college season, Sam was described as "not athletic" and projected as a 3rd defensive end or 3rd outside linebacker. He was pegged with a 3rd-4th round draft grade. After a poor Senior Bowl and horrendous showing at the Combine, Sam might not even be drafted. The story shouldn't be about him being gay, the story should if Sam will even be drafted.

Members online

Latest posts