Micah Hyde

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope TT will change his opinion reagarding the FA a bit and bring in a valuable vet. neither he has to spend franchise money on him nor should that guy have written 3rd stinger all over him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HA HA Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor will becoming to Green Bay many draft experts have Pryor going over Clinton-Dix and after researching the two If Pryor is in some areas a slight bit higher than Dix so either way we will get a Playmaking Safety and converting Hyde is bound to happen and given that Burnett played like trash this season so he may just make Burnett step his game up if nothing more than adding depth, Another option is Capers uses his as he did Woodson given his interchangeability and his experience under Capers system he has proven to be a occasional playmaker.

. . . . . . . . . Here are some periods. Use them in good health.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look folks, Hyde is a great tackler with good instincts and athletic ability EXCEPT FOR SPEED. If not for the stuff in caps he'd have been taken to play corner in the first or second round. He's too slow to be an NFL corner on the outside (like Hayward) so if we want him to play anything outside of the slot he'll have to move to safety. He's probably a better "football player" than he is a corner so unless we want him sitting on the bench, this is a smart move.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look folks, Hyde is a great tackler with good instincts and athletic ability EXCEPT FOR SPEED. If not for the stuff in caps he'd have been taken to play corner in the first or second round. He's too slow to be an NFL corner on the outside (like Hayward) so if we want him to play anything outside of the slot he'll have to move to safety. He's probably a better "football player" than he is a corner so unless we want him sitting on the bench, this is a smart move.

Its not about how fast you run the 40 when you have football speed and instincts. Hyde has both..i bet Hyde would be a solid corner if he was thrust into that role. Heck he returns kicks for goodness sakes. Al Harris wasnt fast, Richard Sherman isnt fast, Willie Brown, Ty Law, or Aneas Williams. Speed is a great attribute yes...but its highly overrated. Remember Ahmad Carroll? Killed in the speed drills at the combine but how did things work out for him? Exactly.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Completely agree that he is a "football player" you can just see that watching him, no sarcasm here either. What's wrong with him just being a very good slot corner?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree that he is a "football player" you can just see that watching him, no sarcasm here either. What's wrong with him just being a very good slot corner?

Nothing. I'd rather the Packers find a safety and leave Hyde at corner.

He's already a good corner and should only get better. Finding another safety would leave the Packers better at two positions, rather than weakening one (unless another good corner was found).

OP
OP
Jordyruns

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing. I'd rather the Packers find a safety and leave Hyde at corner.

He's already a good corner and should only get better. Finding another safety would leave the Packers better at two positions, rather than weakening one (unless another good corner was found).

This is very true, but again they already have that better corner in Hayward. So unless capers uses 2 slot corners on a fairly regular basis Hyde will be riding the bench the majority of the season. As myself and many others have pointed out that would be a shame for him to at least get a chance to compete for a starting role based on the football skill set he brings to the table.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is very true, but again they already have that better corner in Hayward. So unless capers uses 2 slot corners on a fairly regular basis Hyde will be riding the bench the majority of the season. As myself and many others have pointed out that would be a shame for him to at least get a chance to compete for a starting role based on the football skill set he brings to the table.

This exactly. People seem to be remembering Hyde as some shutdown corner last year. He wasn't. He's a good tackler who can do well in the slot but isn't near what a healthy Hayward is (who is also too slow to play outside). On tons of other teams Hyde would be a perfect slot corner, but with us his best position is safety. This isn't a surprise either folks. Coming out of Iowa people said as much: Too slow, should move to safety. If Hayward had been healthy, we may have seen it last year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always thought that Hyde was similar to Darren Sharper ( who also played CB one year). He's a good football player that imo has always had that safety look to him. I think he is a more instinctual player than both Collins and Burnett.

OP
OP
Jordyruns

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way he was more instinctual than Collins. Instinctual and ball hawk I always thought were synonymous in football terms and Collins was one hell of a ball hawk, almost Woodson level.

If you are right though I will not complain.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hayward also just missed almost the whole season though, with a injury that has a high reoccurrence rate and Hyde would come in during dime packages.

I'd rather stay 4 deep at corner and find another safety. Nobody wants Bush to be the first guy in after an injury.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jordyruns

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward also just missed almost the whole season though, with a injury that has a high reoccurrence rate and Hyde would come in during dime packages.

I'd rather stay 4 deep at corner and find another safety. Nobody wants Bush to be the first guy in after an injury.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

So we should be drafting an OLB as early as possible according to you, not because Perry and Neal are weak, but because Matthews typically has hamstring injuries. Hayward only missed ONE season not one plus multiple times each season on top of that, its not like bulaga who seems to have ACL problems, its one isolated injury.

Its not like he can't do both, as I said Mathieu played safety and slot corner last season, its just an option I feel is very reasonable and should be looked into. By no means do I think this completely solves our safety issue. But unless there is serious doubts about Hayward being able to return, which I have heard nothing of the sort, there is no reason to go forward in fear that Hayward won't be able to play like he did his rookie year. Thinking like that would hold a team back by being overly conservative. We should still draft a safety but why not try Hyde out for at least the competition between the rookie, Burnett and Hyde?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we should be drafting an OLB as early as possible according to you, not because Perry and Neal are weak, but because Matthews typically has hamstring injuries. Hayward only missed ONE season not one plus multiple times each season on top of that, its not like bulaga who seems to have ACL problems, its one isolated injury.

Its not like he can't do both, as I said Mathieu played safety and slot corner last season, its just an option I feel is very reasonable and should be looked into. By no means do I think this completely solves our safety issue. But unless there is serious doubts about Hayward being able to return, which I have heard nothing of the sort, there is no reason to go forward in fear that Hayward won't be able to play like he did his rookie year. Thinking like that would hold a team back by being overly conservative. We should still draft a safety but why not try Hyde out for at least the competition between the rookie, Burnett and Hyde?

I would agree that having depth behind Matthews would be a good thing, however, you're really jumping to a conclusion that I nowhere near implied about drafting an OLB high. Our starting safety opposite Burnett is a much bigger problem than the OLB opposite Mathews.

Hamstring strain injuries are one of the most common reoccurring injuries and despite lots of research, there is not good evidence on a way to prevent re-injury. I can paste the whole write up about them I just did for grad school if you would like. It would not surprise at all me if it happened to Hayward again, especially since he did come back, but ended up reaggravating it quickly.

Hyde could be given a shot a safety, but I still think finding another player to be a safety and keeping Hyde at corner would be the best option, even without Hayward's injury. I think strengthening one position without weakening another is the best way to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hayward only missed ONE season not one plus multiple times each season on top of that, its not like bulaga who seems to have ACL problems, its one isolated injury.

Hayward injured his hamstring three times during last season. And with the entire medical and training staff back next season I´m afraid those injuries won´t go away.

H

HardRightEdge

Hyde's official Combine runs were 4.43 and 4.62 for a 4.52 average.

Clinton-Dix ran 4.52 and 4.50 unofficially.
Pryor ran 4.60 and 4.62 unofficially.

Arguments can be made for these draftees, but straight-line speed is not one of them.

If one was looking for a workout warrior with stunning numbers, check out Kevin Pierre-Louis as a LB-to-SS conversion:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111343&draftyear=2014&genpos=OLB

Speed, shuttle, cone, lift, jumps...wow. These numbers are better than Nick Barnett's Combine except for the lift. That 4.02 shuttle and sub-7.00 3-cone indicates this is not some straight line / weight room freak. Looks like just the kind of LB/SS hybrid for that "4-3 Under" we've been talking about. Low round projection coming in. Can he play some football?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM thought Hyde was on the sideline way too much last season and says he will play CB, Nickel, Slot, and Safety.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After hearing McCarthy's comments on Hyde at the meetings I feel as if the move is almost inevitable and I am all for it! I think a lot of this comes down to Hayward coming back at full strength and from what I am reading he is well on his way. Hayward showed in that rookie season that he is dripping with playmaking ability and with him, SS and TWill I think we have a nice group of backs. Hyde seems to have that "it" factor and as coach said we need to have him on the field at all times. It makes sense to move Hyde to S as his skill set is built for the position. He showed his willingness and more important, ability, to make tackles and put his nose in the mix. He also seems to be one of those guys that the ball just seems to find. I will honestly be disappointed if we don't make the move or at the very least give him a long, thorough look. Surely, the coaching staff sees what we all see right?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, Collins didn't show any natural instincts. He was taught by Woodson to study film and notice tendencies. Collins showed little football instincts his first two years. Woodson taught Williams and Collins well. I hope he retires after this season and the Packers pay offer him 750k to be an on-site DB consultant. Woodson knows all the tricks.
No way he was more instinctual than Collins. Instinctual and ball hawk I always thought were synonymous in football terms and Collins was one hell of a ball hawk, almost Woodson level.

If you are right though I will not complain.[/q

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s what McCarthy said at the meetings:
"As far as Micah Hyde, I’m going to say it again, make sure we’re clear: Micah Hyde deserves the opportunity to be an every-down player on our defense," McCarthy said at the NFL owners meetings. "And as we go into 2014, that’s our responsibility as a coaching staff to create those competitive opportunities for him to get that done. I got to a point in the season where Micah was standing on the sidelines too much. He’s a good football player and I thought he deserved the opportunity to compete to play. And it’s tough to do when you’re a rookie because you get into camp and you’re trying to build packages … We’re going to give Micah the opportunity to play on all three downs – whether that’s corner, nickel, dime, safety, that’s the versatility I think he brings to our football team."
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/252322621.html#ixzz2x6cSj5Bd

I applaud him wanting to get a budding playmaker on the field full time. And I’m happy they will definitely have him at safety at least part-time. The only question I have is if Hyde is playing “corner, nickel, dime” who is playing safety next to Burnett? Particularly if Hyde turns out to be the best option there. This is premature since they could still sign a UFA safety or draft one early. But if Hayward and the returning starters in the DB are healthy, the easiest way to get Hyde on the field full time is to start him at safety.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s what McCarthy said at the meetings: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/252322621.html#ixzz2x6cSj5Bd

I applaud him wanting to get a budding playmaker on the field full time. And I’m happy they will definitely have him at safety at least part-time. The only question I have is if Hyde is playing “corner, nickel, dime” who is playing safety next to Burnett? Particularly if Hyde turns out to be the best option there. This is premature since they could still sign a UFA safety or draft one early. But if Hayward and the returning starters in the DB are healthy, the easiest way to get Hyde on the field full time is to start him at safety.

Who's to say it has to be at safety? Hayward had a great rookie year yes but he basically missed the entire year due to injury. That gave Hyde a chance to show how good he could be as a slot corner and I think he held his own. Heck if Hyde doesn't drop that pick against San Fran the packers probably win and then who knows? SB champs? Hydes a hero! He does seem to be always around the ball and just because Hayward is healthy shouldn't mean he is automatically the nickle. There's a good chance that MM isn't talking about safety at all. We all know Capers loves to play nickle so it's possible that hayward is going to have to play himself back into that role. Guys lose jobs in the NFL due to injury all the time and I'm fine with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

After hearing McCarthy's comments on Hyde at the meetings I feel as if the move is almost inevitable and I am all for it! I think a lot of this comes down to Hayward coming back at full strength and from what I am reading he is well on his way. Hayward showed in that rookie season that he is dripping with playmaking ability and with him, SS and TWill I think we have a nice group of backs. Hyde seems to have that "it" factor and as coach said we need to have him on the field at all times. It makes sense to move Hyde to S as his skill set is built for the position. He showed his willingness and more important, ability, to make tackles and put his nose in the mix. He also seems to be one of those guys that the ball just seems to find. I will honestly be disappointed if we don't make the move or at the very least give him a long, thorough look. Surely, the coaching staff sees what we all see right?

Who's to say it has to be at safety? Hayward had a great rookie year yes but he basically missed the entire year due to injury. That gave Hyde a chance to show how good he could be as a slot corner and I think he held his own. Heck if Hyde doesn't drop that pick against San Fran the packers probably win and then who knows? SB champs? Hydes a hero! He does seem to be always around the ball and just because Hayward is healthy shouldn't mean he is automatically the nickle. There's a good chance that MM isn't talking about safety at all. We all know Capers loves to play nickle so it's possible that hayward is going to have to play himself back into that role. Guys lose jobs in the NFL due to injury all the time and I'm fine with that.

I think there´s a little perspective necessary when it comes to evaluating Hyde´s rookie season. While I agree that he showed some promise during 2013 (especially for a 5th round pick) it´s a little early to consider him the solution to our problems in the secondary. He didn´t have an interception either, so I guess he would fit right in with our other safeties. But I would be very disappointed if moving Hyde to safety would turn out to be the only move the Packers will make at that position.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there´s a little perspective necessary when it comes to evaluating Hyde´s rookie season. While I agree that he showed some promise during 2013 (especially for a 5th round pick) it´s a little early to consider him the solution to our problems in the secondary. He didn´t have an interception either, so I guess he would fit right in with our other safeties. But I would be very disappointed if moving Hyde to safety would turn out to be the only move the Packers will make at that position.

I agree and I am not saying that he is the next coming of Nick Collins. I simply think he has the skill set to translate to the S position and if the CB's are healthy it would only make sense to give him a look there. I honestly believe he has the goods to be a difference maker at safety and I'm to the point of "what can it hurt?" As I mentioned the kid has some intangibles and likes putting his nose in the mix. I certainly wouldn't put all out eggs in the hope and pray basket so if they are pretty set on putting him there I would maybe look at the second tier of safeties in the 3-4th round of the draft. There is usually good value there.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not against the move of Hyde to FS, however I am not OK with the idea that it solves the issues on the back end. Not only are we unsure if Hyde will be effective at FS for us, but it takes away one of our CB's in the process. I agree that there is a redundancy at CB with Hyde and Hayward, being that they probably lack the size to play the outside, but who knows --there are always exceptions. You also have to consider whether or not Hayward will continue to have hammy issues throughout his career -- we sure better hope not, especially because he looks like the real deal! But it highlights the issues that could arise if we experience any injuries at CB and we don't have the depth.

My ideal scenario would involve us trading back into the 2nd round and picking up another 2nd round pick. I am infatuated with this guy and believe he could come in an start for us at FS, despite his size.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-report-nfl-outlook-for-florida-state-safety

The guy plays big and is a natural ballhawk...he excites me more than Pryor or Dix to be perfectly honest. Do we really want a "smasher" at S given all these rule changes, ie: Pryor? That extra pick can get us James Jones replacement, an ILB, or one of our other needs on D (or a TE if there is one we fall in love with). The 3rd round can get us a C. Anyway, something along those lines would be my ideal draft day.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not against the move of Hyde to FS, however I am not OK with the idea that it solves the issues on the back end. Not only are we unsure if Hyde will be effective at FS for us, but it takes away one of our CB's in the process. I agree that there is a redundancy at CB with Hyde and Hayward, being that they probably lack the size to play the outside, but who knows --there are always exceptions. You also have to consider whether or not Hayward will continue to have hammy issues throughout his career -- we sure better hope not, especially because he looks like the real deal! But it highlights the issues that could arise if we experience any injuries at CB and we don't have the depth.

I´m not sure the plan is to move Hyde to FS. IMO he would be a better fit at SS. And that´s another thing I don´t like about moving Hyde to safety (if that´s the only plan) as I prefer having Burnett at SS as well.

Members online

Latest posts