1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Miami takes Manuel Wright in the 5th round of the Sup. Draft

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Robin Yount, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Robin Yount

Robin Yount Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No other players were taken in the draft.
  2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Some said he'd be taken in the 3rd...hmmm...this begs the obvious question...whether or not the Packers should have sacrificed a 4th next year for him.
  3. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turned out a lot different than a lot of people thought it would.
  4. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45 / 19 / -0
    Over at the website we're not supposed to quote anymore they said Wright was a "development project" and not as good as the hype. "They" said the team already has a number of young development projects in the d-line, so why add another one? Remember, this guy wasn't the starter...he was a backup at USC.
  5. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I know much about this guy, but I'm kind of glad the Packers didn't draft him, because he sounded like more hype than talent.

Like Net said, he was a backup at USC. And it sounded like he performed pretty weakly with his lifting at one of his recent tryouts, where he lifted less than average for a guy at his position.
  6. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if that's the reasoning that the Eagles didn't pursue him like the Press was stating they would...
    Ah yes... the good ol' incredibly "wise" Sports Press Pundits - the all-knowing Sports Reporters.... getting it right every time..... NOT! LOL :mrgreen:
  7. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

LOL nice...

<center>Also moved to NFL News Category</center>
  8. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think it would've been a good pick...so what if Wright's a development pick...look at every pick we made in April...he'd fit right in with our rag-tag bunch of guys like Poppinga, Mike Montgomery, Kurt Campbell, Hawkins, etc...especially given the possible Grady Jackson situation arising, this would've been a good pick
  9. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't think TT wanted to forsake (what) a third round draft pick next year....
    More than anything, I have no doubt that his Team is already assembling what the options are going to be for next April.. When it comes to sitting in the GM chair - you're not really focused on real time - you're months ahead already working the future. Just like a CEO of a Corp - you're focused on making sure it all stays afloat.

The list of names assembled from all the potential College-to-NFL draftees must be something to read, eh? Think about it!

The more we see TT not being rattled, unlike the way Sherman was all the time with the GM Chair -- this is startin' to look real interesting!
  10. kuston

kuston Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wright was 290 pounds at the bowl game in january. At his weigh-in 2 weeks ago he was 329 pound. none of the new stuff was muscle was what I read on the scouting report.
  11. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Especially not knowing how high in the round we will be picking. A near begining pick in the third round would be a waste for a guy who can't lift weights.
  12. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought John Dorsey's comments on Wright were interesting. Maybe it's good the Packers passed on the guy. He sounds like he's lacking a little in the desire department.

I also wonder if a lack of desire in the weight room is why Wright lifted 225 pounds just 16 times. During the NFL Combine in February, the 17 defensive tackle prospects averaged 27 repetitions, with the lowest total being 21.

"I personally have some issues about him," Dorsey said. "Does he have talent? Yes. But he's been up and down. I don't think weight will be an issue. Intestinal fortitude and intensity will be. From a professional level, you have to take your play up another notch. He hasn't displayed that yet."
  13. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Good point, AZ - ALthough I would ask one question....

What would've happened had Bates got ahold of him, between now and mid-season?"