Merriman?

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As some of you probably know, Shawne Merriman is apparently on the trading block. I would be estatic if he became a packer, and imagine HIM on the opposite side of Matthews. Just think about it......and discuss :happy0005:

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to have Shawne Merriman become a Packer. Maybe that's what TT was referring to when he said he wasn't done picking people up? I hope we get him. Have Matthews and Merriman on opposite sides, and have Jones back them up, that's a solid OLB group.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shawn Merriman would be a decent pickup and certainly make our LB group look better, however I doubt TT would pursue a higher priced guy like Merriman. Plus lets not forget the durability concern.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno if he'd be worth the money. Merriman hasn't been the same since he got popped for roids, plus he's had some pretty recent "character issues." Besides, Brad Jones played pretty well last season. Taken as a project in the 7th round last year, I'm confident he'll be improved, especially since the scheme will have had a full season to mature.

Honestly, I'm not sure that he'd be that much of an upgrade over the guys we already have.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends, if he plays lights out (no pun intended) this season then will TT be ready to reward him with a huge contract extension?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a day goes by that somebody doesnt clamor for some overrated overpaid player that we dont need. I get it, we dont sign free agents and the packer fans are desperate for TT to sign someone, anyone. But good thing we arent Washington because it has gotten them real far. As I said yesterday who wants to suggest we sign Jamarcus Russell?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a day goes by that somebody doesnt clamor for some overrated overpaid player that we dont need. I get it, we dont sign free agents and the packer fans are desperate for TT to sign someone, anyone. But good thing we arent Washington because it has gotten them real far. ?

If it's a decent trade with little risk, I think Merriman would be a solid pick up. If the Chargers asking price is too high then hell no.

y5nthon5a1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's a decent trade with little risk, I think Merriman would be a solid pick up. If the Chargers asking price is too high then hell no.

They are, though. According to ESPN, they're still looking for a very good deal for him.-- a similar deal they were before this past offseason.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are, though. According to ESPN, they're still looking for a very good deal for him.-- a similar deal they were before this past offseason.

If that's the case, then I don't want him. I'd give up a late round pick, sure. But if they are thinking that we are gonna give up a lot than they are out of their mind.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Shawn Merriman would be a decent pickup and certainly make our LB group look better, however I doubt TT would pursue a higher priced guy like Merriman. Plus lets not forget the durability concern.

I think he's past his prime as well.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's past his prime as well.

Drafted in 05 is past his prime? Damn, looks like we need a QB!!!

Like IVO said earlier in this thread... its cool the we bring up EVERY possible FA that may become available... cant just be happy with what we got lol.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Drafted in 05 is past his prime? Damn, looks like we need a QB!!!

Like IVO said earlier in this thread... its cool the we bring up EVERY possible FA that may become available... cant just be happy with what we got lol.

just cause he has some good years left doesnt mean he'll reach his pro bowl numbers again...I agree that we don't need him, and having him around would probably be more of a distraction than an upside, Considering his off the field incidents.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As some of you probably know, Shawne Merriman is apparently on the trading block. I would be estatic if he became a packer, and imagine HIM on the opposite side of Matthews. Just think about it......and discuss :happy0005:
POssible, not sure what he has left in the tank and how he will be in the lockerroom. Thomas is still out there but not sure if he is the pass rusher he used to be either.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has this guy done to warrant him being worth anything but a late rounder? Since he came back from his suspension/injury this guy has done little to nothing. Why do ya think SD's defense was getting blasted last year? It is because they solely rely on their pass rush to create turnovers, and now that they didn't get their pass rush (because of lack of production of merriman) the holes they have in the back end of their defense were exposed.

Honestly I would MUCH rather have Adalius Thomas than this guy. The only reason his numbers were down is because Billy Bill decided to use him in the most retarded way.

OP
OP
M

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, it was just a thought to get some talk going. Secondly, he's not even to his prime IMO, he's had some trouble the past couple years, and a new atmosphere could be all he needs to spark his career. To say he wouldn't help our team is just ignorant; the guy is a beast when his motor is running.
Not taking anything against Brad Jones considering I like him a lot, but adding another dimension to our OLB core with a high caliber prospect like Merriman would be insane.
Just my .02$, but in other words, I think we'll be fine with Jones, can't wait to see how much improved he is this season!

y5nthon5a1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, it was just a thought to get some talk going. Secondly, he's not even to his prime IMO, he's had some trouble the past couple years, and a new atmosphere could be all he needs to spark his career. To say he wouldn't help our team is just ignorant; the guy is a beast when his motor is running.
Not taking anything against Brad Jones considering I like him a lot, but adding another dimension to our OLB core with a high caliber prospect like Merriman would be insane.
Just my .02$, but in other words, I think we'll be fine with Jones, can't wait to see how much improved he is this season!

Hmm. Okay lets trade for him for a 2nd and 5th rounder and what if he can't do crap.

I do agree with you on Jones, though. Great player. I want to see him start at OLB this season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 14 of the 16 games he played last season he did not have a sack. In addition he had several no tackle games. He missed almost the whole season two years ago, and has not shown anything that would give anyone a reason to think about putting him on the field since he tested positive for roids. Add in the off the field drama and the red flags come up.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Spart and Ivo on this. Merriman is way too overrated. He is a normal human now that he had to ditch the roids. Too much money for too little player. If Green Bay is going to drop a bunch of money on a stud LB, Elvis Dumerville can be had for a 1st and 3rd round pick and like 3 million I think. He is a much better player IMO, and doesn't have durabililty concerns. I'm not saying that Green Bay should start dropping all kinds of money on free agents, but the idea of having Dumerville opposite Clay Matthews, well damn, that would be insane.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the rumors are officially heating up. I read on another forum at footballsfuture that Merriman may have been hinting Green Bay on his twitter account.

Twitter / Shawne Merriman: Going to be a gym rat beca ...

Twitter / Shawne Merriman: My motivation today was wa ...
Wow. This got me excited. I know, I know, I shouldn't. I'm well aware of our GM's MO.

But that tweeter:
Going to be a gym rat because I love cheese get it?brb

Sure got me excited...

I think he's a big risk, he hasn't produced, coincidentally, since he stopped using roids.

But it was also after a season ending, year long injury...

I thrust TT in this one...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk I'm not a big fan of rumors posted on twitter, or as I like to call them "tumors." Anyone remember that picture of Taylor Mays wearing a Green Bay hat?

Members online