Merriman to play in 2008, 2 torn knee ligaments

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-merriman&prov=ap&type=lgnsSAN DIEGO (AP)—Surgery will have to wait for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who decided Wednesday he’ll play this season despite two torn ligaments in his left knee.

After spending several days seeking outside opinions, Merriman informed the team of his decision on Wednesday morning.

The star outside linebacker returned from Miami on Tuesday after seeking yet another opinion on his knee.

Merriman said last week he has two torn ligaments in his left knee and has been told by doctors that he could suffer a possible career-ending injury if he attempts to play without having surgery.

Merriman underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage five months ago, but has had persistent pain in the knee during training camp.

Merriman has made the Pro Bowl in each of his three seasons. He has 39 1/2 sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player.

Idiot.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my prediction: He'll start the first game, leave the game at half-time, sit on the sidelines 2nd half, and get surgery on Tuesday.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's just stupid....I just had surgery to replace my torn ACL and i can't even imagine him trying to play on a torn ligament...

I tried to continue to play soccer before i had found it i tore my ACL and it was the worst pain of my life every game. One wrong cut and the pain came shooting.

The fact that this is also career threatening makes his decision even worse.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Don’t think the next player that has a pull or tear won’t be reminded by his coaches that if Shawne Merriman is still producing for his team with two torn knee ligaments, you should be able to play through [it],” the source opined.

But there’s still hope for every other player who’ll be pressured to play through potentially serious injuries. As the source said, “The best thing that could happen for every current and future player is if Merriman’s knee snaps like a twig and puts the Chargers on the spot.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/ ... precedent/

not funny, but hillarious, at the same time.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So stupid.

If he ruins his knee. The Chargers wont care to much about him and his commitment to the team. They'll dump him and find someone else.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did HE decide this was the smart thing to do, or the team change his mind by convincing him it was dumb to risk his career?

Members online

Latest posts