Merriman rumors??

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found this little rumor on Prosportsdaily.com. I'd like to just state that I don't see anyway this happens, but I wanted to see how people felt about this guy. As for me, I think Merriman is a bit of a headcase. He is talented, but I don't think he is a Packer.

Merriman to join Fitz in AZ?
9:15AM ET
Shawne Merriman | Chargers | Interested: Cardinals?, Dolphins?, Packers?, Patriots?, 49ers?

We've been regarding the offseason saga of Chargers LB Shawne Merriman as an intriguing case. Merriman will likely be a restricted free agent this offseason, but he wants "respect" to be shown by the Chargers. Not a series of bows and curtsies, either, but financial respect.

If the Chargers don't extend or franchise Merriman, he'll be on the lookout for a new team, albeit in restricted fashion. Last week, we speculated that the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers could use the edge-rushing help in general, and the Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins might show some interest if Aaron Kampman and Joey Porter, respectively, are not brought back.

On Thursday, Merriman posted on Twitter: "The question 4 the next 24hrs.what team can use me the best?" One response came from another NFL superstar, Larry Fitzgerald, who tweeted, "We got a nice 3-4 defensive scheme waitin 4u!Join us."

NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert chronicled another Twitter discussion between ESPN's Trey Wingo and Packers Nick Barnett and Ryan Grant regarding Shawne heading to Wisconsin, but also gave us reasons why Merriman in Green and Gold probably won't happen:

Kevin Seifert:

The Packers don't play the free agency game

"This is the time when fans and players alike start tossing around dream scenarios before the nuts and bolts of free agency actually hit. The reality, as we've discussed many times, is the Packers haven't participated in the free-agent market for the past few years. Throwing draft-choice compensation into the mix only further limits the possibility that a player like Merriman could end up in Green Bay."

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aren't we planning on signing Kampman? I don't think it will happen, and quite honestly I don't want it to happen. Merriman didn't exactly have a great year,only 4 sacks. I personally like Brad Jones and think he is the future.

I'm more interested in the rumor I heard about AJ HAwk for Cromartie. I doubt it will happen, but I think it has more benefits.

What I think we should do is resign Kampman, and use him as a pass rusher on passing downs instead of Jolly.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not sold on Brad Jones. He's very smart and played pretty well as a rookie. Hopefully he'll get better but most of his sacks weren't actually beating his guy but after the QB was flushed and he disappeared in the playoffs. I'm more of a wait and see on him and think Kampman after a year in the system where he's not thinking but reacting will still be a value to the Packers.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just say no to Merriman.

Besides, we have Matthews and I doubt old Shawne would accept being a backup.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not scolding anyone who is against bringing in Merriman but I think its very hypocritical when we say the guy has lost if after 1 season. We all excuse Barnett for having an average season soley on his ACL tear but we don't give Merriman the same benefit of the doubt. Merriman's injury was also career threatening and it took some balls for this guy to actually recover along with putting his body back into the game. I don't know if Merriman will be back in his prime, however if I were TT i would consider taking a look at where he currently stands but won't really make any guarantees.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the subject, I'd brought it up before, and would bet money that it won't happen.

However, for a 3rd rounder, I'd do it in a hearth beat. I'd still do it for our late 2nd rounder. Not for a 1st, though...
-
And, hey, there'll be the Julius Peppers rumor this year, also...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would play opposite sides... In Capers' 3-4, it doesn't really matter which side you play...

Merriman was moved to ILB from his ROLB spot in the chargers defense the same way Hawk was with ours. That could also explain his decline. So if he landed with us I don't know if he would be moved to the outside.

In the subject, I'd brought it up before, and would bet money that it won't happen.

However, for a 3rd rounder, I'd do it in a hearth beat. I'd still do it for our late 2nd rounder. Not for a 1st, though...
-
And, hey, there'll be the Julius Peppers rumor this year, also...

Although there are some doubters out there Julius Peppers will make a great transition to a 3-4 OLB. He played some form of LB in college and his coverage skills have not diminished one bit in the NFL. At certain times they put him on an outside zone, made him blitz standing up, and play man coverage on a running back, all with some form of success. I think with proper 3-4 coaching from Kevin Greene, Julius Peppers may be the next..well... Kevin Greene.

OP
OP
Cardsmc25

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not scolding anyone who is against bringing in Merriman but I think its very hypocritical when we say the guy has lost if after 1 season. We all excuse Barnett for having an average season soley on his ACL tear but we don't give Merriman the same benefit of the doubt. Merriman's injury was also career threatening and it took some balls for this guy to actually recover along with putting his body back into the game. I don't know if Merriman will be back in his prime, however if I were TT i would consider taking a look at where he currently stands but won't really make any guarantees.

I couldn't agree with you more. Merriman is not done IMO. I think he still has a pretty bright future ahead of him. I question if he leads a life that isn't distracting to him. I think he would stay out of trouble in GB, but I just don't know if he is a Packer. He reminds me a lot the Packers #56.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would not say fans are being hypocritical, I question wether or not Green Bay has the right inside LBs to take this defense to the next level, I believe Hawk is defiantely not the answer and the jury is still out on Barnett.

Now if Merriman is willing to play for the same money as Barnett, then I think it is a no brainer.

The difference here is the fact Merriman will command much more and many people are questioning how much given the injury. That is not being hypocritical. You can not ignore the injury if the guy wants a 9 to 12 million dollar contract, I think Barnett makes 4 to 5 million.

The jury is still out on Merriman if he will be an elite player in the NFL, IMO he still will be a good top 10 LB , but do you take a risk and pay him top 5 money.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

He also had some run-ins with steroids if I remember correctly, he was in the news for apparently beating up Tila Tequila. (Yep, totally just brought up Tila Tequila.) The point being, even if he is good, which he may or may not be anymore, he's a distraction. Not the kind of guy I like seeing suit up for the green and gold. Don't want him.

OP
OP
Cardsmc25

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also had some run-ins with steroids if I remember correctly, he was in the news for apparently beating up Tila Tequila. (Yep, totally just brought up Tila Tequila.) The point being, even if he is good, which he may or may not be anymore, he's a distraction. Not the kind of guy I like seeing suit up for the green and gold. Don't want him.

I made the point before, I feel like he might settle down a bit if he came to Green Bay. I think guys like Merriman can't handle that life out there. Plus there is a little more leadership in the Packer defense. I personally am still sketchy on the guy and I think this is all just a rumor anyways... but my feelings have warmed up to him in the Green and Gold a little.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I made the point before, I feel like he might settle down a bit if he came to Green Bay. I think guys like Merriman can't handle that life out there. Plus there is a little more leadership in the Packer defense. I personally am still sketchy on the guy and I think this is all just a rumor anyways... but my feelings have warmed up to him in the Green and Gold a little.

Fair point. I guess I just don't like the guy. Not sure we need to be looking for a linebacker in free agency anyway. You're right though....its much tougher to misbehave in Green Bay, and I really think this is all a rumor anyway.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off the field issues aside, the guy has had problems staying healthy in the past. That probably accounts for his down season this year. He's talented, but not a dependable starter. Add in that he might be a distraction in the lockerroom, I'd prefer it if we pass on the guy.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Please. I hate this line of thinking. He got caught for using steroids? He'll probably just move on to HGH like the rest of the NFL. Not to mention nobody gives a damn when an NFL player gets caught for steroids. I don't know why that is, it's just the way it is.

As far as the Tila Tequila thing, maybe Nick Barnett isn't a good enough person to be a Packer then? How about Brett Favre? Or maybe Antonio Freeman? What about Ahman Green? Johnny Jolly shouldn't be a Packer too, right?

I don't know where this illusion came from that every Packer is this beacon of all that's good in this earth. They're all people, just like Shawne Merriman's a person. People have problems. The Packers aren't a team comprised of Vatican certified saints. They have problems, just like every other team and every other player in the NFL.

OP
OP
Cardsmc25

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Jess... thank you for being the one to say it... I love my Packers, but I know that some of them don't make the best choices. With that said, I think there are NFL players more likely to get into trouble then others.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packer people" IMHO is not a guy that never drinks, that does charity and prays to god after every play.

If he does all those, the better.

But the important traits are to be good in the locker room and to give it's all. That's what really matters.

If Merriman takes plays off, if he doesn't care about his teammates, then we have a problem.

But I don't think that's the case...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please. I hate this line of thinking. He got caught for using steroids? He'll probably just move on to HGH like the rest of the NFL. Not to mention nobody gives a damn when an NFL player gets caught for steroids. I don't know why that is, it's just the way it is.

As far as the Tila Tequila thing, maybe Nick Barnett isn't a good enough person to be a Packer then? How about Brett Favre? Or maybe Antonio Freeman? What about Ahman Green? Johnny Jolly shouldn't be a Packer too, right?

I don't know where this illusion came from that every Packer is this beacon of all that's good in this earth. They're all people, just like Shawne Merriman's a person. People have problems. The Packers aren't a team comprised of Vatican certified saints. They have problems, just like every other team and every other player in the NFL.

Jess I couldn't agree with you more. Another player who everyone forgets that had character issues coming into Green Bay was Charles Woodson. He admitted that in Oakland that he partied all the time and didn't bother looking at the playbook. Sometimes he even came into practice half asleep with his eyes rolling to the floor. Had we only looked at his personality as the only source of his evaluation, our defense in the last 4 years wouldn't have been half as good as it is right now.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Jess I couldn't agree with you more. Another player who everyone forgets that had character issues coming into Green Bay was Charles Woodson. He admitted that in Oakland that he partied all the time and didn't bother looking at the playbook. Sometimes he even came into practice half asleep with his eyes rolling to the floor. Had we only looked at his personality as the only source of his evaluation, our defense in the last 4 years wouldn't have been half as good as it is right now.

At least he didn't beat up a young, female, reality tv star. :happy0005:

Members online

Latest posts