McQuarters to Detroit

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be a good pickup for the Lions.

Lions snag CB McQuarters

June 11, 2005

BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

On the theory that he can never have too many good defensive backs, Lions president Matt Millen has landed another one -- former Chicago Bears cornerback R.W. McQuarters.

The seven-year veteran has agreed to terms on a one-year deal believed to be worth approximately $1.6 million.

The Lions had shown a strong interest in both McQuarters and former New England Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law, but Law is recovering from a broken foot and Millen didn't want to take a chance on losing McQuarters while he waited on Law's rehab work.

"I love Ty Law and I want to think I would still consider him but right now -- with where we're at -- I wanted to make sure I'm getting something," Millen said late Friday.

The addition of McQuarters, 28, adds experience and firepower to a defensive secondary which has been upgraded in recent years by the acquisition of free agents, including Pro Bowl cornerback Dre' Bly, heavy-hitting strong safety Kenoy Kennedy and veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant.

The Lions also have added defensive backs through the draft -- safety Terrence Holt in 2003, cornerback Keith Smith in 2004 and Stanley Wilson Jr. this year -- and still have former starters Chris Cash and Andre Goodman on the roster.

"This is the best our defensive backs have looked in a long time," Millen said.

It remains uncertain, however, exactly where McQuarters will fit into the secondary but Millen likes the flexibility he brings. He has started at corner, played at free safety and is capable of covering a slot receiver. He also gives the Lions a backup to kick returner Eddie Drummond. McQuarters had two interceptions, one for a touchdown in 16 games, 14 of them starts, last season.

"I'm looking for him to compete in a lot of spots," Millen said. "He's a younger guy but he's been around and he knows the division."

McQuarters was a first-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers in 1998 and played his first two seasons under Lions coach Steve Mariucci. He was traded to Chicago in June 2000. He was released last month -- in part for salary cap reasons.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that a re-snag - thought he was lookin for other pastures....
At any rate - that's gonna make it tougher against the Lions... as long as he stays healthy, that is! The Packers always did have a hard time covering him of late - maybe with Bates, that'll change!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a very good return man but gets burned on coverage. He was let go by the Bears because they are loaded in the secondary and he was over paid. Throw at him and kick away from him.

AF Lion

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will push Fernando Bryant but will most likely play nickle and possilbly safety. Good pick up that will give the Lions some nice depth in the secondary.

Members online

Latest posts