McMichael signs with St. Louis

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams, ex-Dolphin McMichael agree to $11M deal
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Tight end Randy McMichael, released by the Miami Dolphins earlier this week, on Thursday afternoon reached an agreement with the St. Louis Rams on a three-year contract.

Randy McMichael
McMichael

The contract, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus, is worth $11 million and includes a signing bonus of $3 million. The annual base salaries are $1.5 million (2007), $2.9 million ('08) and $3.6 million ('09). Despite his consistent productivity, the Dolphins jettisoned McMichael to avoid paying him a $3 million roster bonus that was due this week.

The deal reunites McMichael with Rams head coach Scott Linehan, who was his offensive coordinator in Miami in 2005.

McMichael, 27, is the second significant addition to the Rams' passing game in recent days. Last week, St. Louis signed unrestricted free agent wide receiver Drew Bennett to a six-year, $30 million contract. The two new acquisitions will add even more firepower to an already explosive Rams' passing game.

In five seasons with the Dolphins, McMichael established himself as one of the league's top receiving tight ends. The former University of Georgia standout is not an overpowering in-line blocker, but is an excellent athlete who runs good routes and has the ability to add yards after the catch.

A fourth-round choice in the 2002 draft, McMichael has 282 career catches for 3,096 yards and 18 touchdowns. He has 60-plus receptions in each of the past three seasons and has never posted fewer than 39 catches in a campaign.

McMichael has never missed a game in his career, appearing in 80 straight contests, all as a starter.

The Rams invested a pair of draft choices on tight ends in 2006, selecting Joe Klopfenstein in the second round and Dominique Byrd in the third round, and both played well at times as rookies. But being able to land a veteran tight end with McMichael's credentials figures to provide a boost to the St. Louis offense and should provide Linehan plenty of
flexibility.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Dolphins got a good player at a reasonable contract.

Which good TEs are left for the Pack? Jerramy Stevens???

William

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Dolphins got a good player at a reasonable contract.

Which good TEs are left for the Pack? Jerramy Stevens???

I think you mean it looks like the Rams got a decent player for a reasonable contract. Weird signing. Rams need major help on defense -- offense is in reasonably good shape. This is a strange one.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice contract. McMichael does have awful hands (as we all saw when we played the Dolphins) but for this price he would of been a nice addition.

Your starting to see the 2nd tier free agents sign for good value. Hopefully the Packers start to jump in.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
That is a hell of a reasonable contract, and honestly I believe TT should have made more of an effort to land McMichael.

and somehow you think he didn't. :thumbsup:

These "OMG someone signed with another team!" threads are hilarious. keep entertaining me, guys. I need it.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we sign Jerrmay Stevens I think I might shoot myself that guy is down right terrible he dropped so many balls it wasnt even funny.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys been *****in' for TWO YEARS about how we got no TE's that can catch and now your pissed we didn't sign another air ballin' SOB?

OKY DOKY.

Members online

Latest posts