McKenzie interested in Capers for Raiders Head Coach

Reaction score
This is starting to get ridiculous. If you really want to be known as a good GM, get your own people. Don't steal everyone that Ted found.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is starting to get ridiculous. If you really want to be known as a good GM, get your own people. Don't steal everyone that Ted found.

why would he not want to acquire good coaches?

I think you are letting your frustration of losing coaches get in the way of seeing that every GM wants to acquire the best coaching staff they can, it doesn't matter where they come from.

NY06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys suprised by this?
Dom Capers is a damn good DC, and has been a headcoach for 2 franchises in this league.
It was just amount of time before some franchise was asking for his services.
The question I have, who would you guys want as your new DC?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Raiders are complete morons for that Carson Palmer trade.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends...if Capers was to hypothetically get this job would he bring his staff with him to Oakland? Im not sure how this would play out, but I would guess the Packers would want to promote from within. Mike Trgovac (D line coach) was a D coordinator in Carolina, Winston Moss (LB's coach) is always mentioned as a possible Head Coach/D Co candidate around the league, and Darren Perry also.

I have a hard time believing they would bring in someone from outside.

Reaction score
why would he not want to acquire good coaches?

I think you are letting your frustration of losing coaches get in the way of seeing that every GM wants to acquire the best coaching staff they can, it doesn't matter where they come from.
but Dom Capers, who has failed at every head coaching position he has held? There is plenty of talent elsewhere. I wouldn't mind if he was trying to get philbin or anyone else, but Capers? Aren't there some famous coaches looking to get back to being a head coach?
THAT is his one people.
Unless by his people, you mean brothers......
Lol, with the class of coaches on the market, he should be looking at those first!

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Raiders are complete morons for that Carson Palmer trade.

Raiders don't have a pick until the 5th Round in this year's draft. Totally dysfunctional organization.

Good move to bring in McKenzie...but he can't do much draft-wise until next year's draft (when they also are without a couple picks).

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Don't think he'll take it, I don't see Capers becoming a head coach again, and I think he has done a fine job with the Packers. Though Sunday will prove if he did or didn't in my opinion since I think he has been holding back since he knew we'd make the playoffs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy for guys, even our guys, to get their shot, but leave it alone at least until after the SB.

C'mon maaan!
Exactly what I was going to post!

Bad enough that they are taking away our coaches and staff but do they have to mention taking away Capers now!?
Enough with the rubbing of the salt into these open wounds. Geesh!

If any coaches or staff leave, they better not get rings because they no longer deserve them for deserting the Packers.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Please no. Jesus Christ *** Reggie McKenzie trying to destroy our team.

I hope he doesn't take it.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Part of being a GM in the NFL and what makes a great GM is the ability to find talent and scout talent, not steal it from other successful teams. Reggie McKenzie is essentially trying to move the Packers to Oakland.

I'd like to sincerely say, **** Him

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers bad run as a head coach often gets brought up without the caveat that his coaching opportunity came from two expansion teams- Panthers and Texans. Can't really fault a guy for not being able to do a whole lot with a brand new, never been in the league before team.

Ideally I'd like him to become our **** Lebeau, but since our motto around these parts is "Next man up!", I'm fine if he takes a coaching gig elsewhere.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I like Capers, but if he wants to make the move, it wouldnt bother me. Next man up, promote from within, find someone outside of the organization, wouldnt matter. While I dont think he will take the job if offered - he was in head coach discussions last year - I don't think this defense takes a step back if he leaves.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I like Capers, but if he wants to make the move, it wouldnt bother me. Next man up, promote from within, find someone outside of the organization, wouldnt matter. While I dont think he will take the job if offered - he was in head coach discussions last year - I don't think this defense takes a step back if he leaves.

hard to get much worse than dead last :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Sounds like if we lose in the playoffs and the defense gives up 400 and whatever number of yards, and everyone wants to blame it on him and the 32nd ranked defense of the NFL, he'll have a place to go. That's just the way I see it from McKenzie. If the Packers defense blows it in the playoffs, he'll be holding his hand out to bail him out from being blamed.

I like Capers as defensive coordinator and I don't think it's all his fault they are ranked so bad, he's doing the BEST he can do with what he's got. As a head coach? He's a better coordinator than head coach, but if he had more to work with like Wade Phillips did taking over Parcell's Cowboys, he may make them a playoff team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts