McCarthy's New Contract

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the good news, from the Green Bay Press Gazette:

McCarthy's new contract: 5 years, about $4 million
By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Green Bay Packers Coach Mike McCarthy has agreed to a new five-year contract worth about $4 million per season but will wait until after this weekend to sign it, according to an NFL source familiar with the negotiations.

The Packers had been working on the deal for several weeks and had the parameters set by last weekend.

Negotiations concluded this week, but McCarthy didn’t want the contract to become a distraction prior to Sunday’s NFC championship game, so he will wait until next week to sign it.

The Packers are tearing up McCarthy’s original three-year contract that paid him $2 million per year and ran through the 2008 season.

His new deal runs through the 2012 season and is the same length as General Manager Ted Thompson’s new contract, which was announced Jan. 7.

The average salary for NFL head coaches is approximately $3.4 million.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
He's not worth a plug nickel of it

Ummmmm . . . . ok. Whatever . . . cool guy.

I do have one question though. How does the NFL regulate coaches salary? Does that fit in under the salary cap, or not? If it's not regulated, it seems unfair in a way. Because guys like Jerry Jones can just spend as much money as necessary to keep guys like Jason Garrett or whatever of the Dallas Cowboys on his team because he is just a big rich redneck. Can teams pay their staff as much as they choose to?

favreisdaman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
plus he gets to hang with brett favre!!!!thats a bonus on tis on, let me think for a min.... hang with brett all year or 4 mill .... ill hang with brett :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
amax41 said:

Ummmmm . . . . ok. Whatever . . . cool guy.

I do have one question though. How does the NFL regulate coaches salary? Does that fit in under the salary cap, or not? If it's not regulated, it seems unfair in a way. Because guys like Jerry Jones can just spend as much money as necessary to keep guys like Jason Garrett or whatever of the Dallas Cowboys on his team because he is just a big rich redneck. Can teams pay their staff as much as they choose to?

Doesnt do anything to salary cap, and can pay what they want

Reaction score
I read that McCarthy serves as his own agent.

Which just leads me to wonder if the negotiations took some time away from McCarthy game-planing for the Giants.

McCarthy has responded well in terms of adjusting to what the other team is doing, we just didn't see that yesterday, which is odd.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the young members here that phrase may confuse you?

Not Worth A PLUG NICKEL?

PLUG NICKEL- The original phrase meaning.

A long time ago when coins contained a valuable metal, it was a counterfeiting technique to remove the silver or other valuable metal from the center of the coin and replace it with a plug of lead or other metal. Hence..... It was called "A plugged nickel." Not worth the value of the actual coin.

Or, in this posters point, the value of M.M. has no value as far as the "Coin" he will make in his new contract.

PLUG KICKEL: The modern day phrase meaning.

A person who enters a forum or blog and removes the value of the thread or blog by replacing the value of the thread or blog with ignorance and stupidity that has no value.

Members online

Latest posts